Author Topic: On-Base Concealed Carry for DOD Personnel  (Read 5611 times)

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
On-Base Concealed Carry for DOD Personnel
« on: November 22, 2016, 12:08:01 PM »
A new DOD Directive issued Nov 18, 2016 clarifies policy for concealed carry waivers on base. Doesn't appear to loosen up restriction on retirees or visitors.

Military Times published article on this topic
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

PPScarry

• Life Member
  • del ccdw license holder - NRA member
Re: On-Base Concealed Carry for DOD Personnel
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 12:42:42 PM »
Government moves slowly, too slow in my opinion regarding this topic. I hope Trump can get the ball moving faster and with less restrictions. Sounds like a "may issue" if I have read the article correctly. We trust our Military with the deadliest weapons on earth and yet subject them at home to known dangers unarmed. I'm glad this is being rectified.

90 days seems strange to me but I'm not in the military. I'm sure there is a reason for that.
"There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. "
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 02:33:41 PM »
Doesn't appear to loosen up restriction on retirees or visitors.

I go to Dover about once a week and frequently end up on the base. It is frustrating that I have to leave my firearm at home when I know I will be going onto the Air Base. I am a retiree and a qualified (credentialed) retired DOD LEO.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Cbmarine

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 06:56:21 PM »
... I am a retiree and a qualified (credentialed) retired DOD LEO.
If this is any help, DODI 5525.12 Implementation of the Amended Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004 (LEOSA), Feb 13, 2014 updated Aug 1, 2016.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 07:01:01 PM by Cbmarine »
New Castle County

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 11:28:48 AM »
If this is any help, DODI 5525.12 Implementation of the Amended Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004 (LEOSA), Feb 13, 2014 updated Aug 1, 2016.

I have the "QUALIFIED RETIRED LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER IDENTIFICATION CARD" as outlined in Enclosure 3 of that document. That is what I was referring to when I said I was "credentialed." Unfortunately that does not carry any weight in the eyes of the command at Dover AFB. It is up to each base Commander. I have read that I can carry at Andrews AFB but I have yet to try it. I do not get there often.

http://www.jba.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/772402/jba-leosa-procedures-revised

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 10:12:04 PM »
The issue for me is that i am forced to be vulnerable on my daily travels to and from work.  There appears no work-around for that.
Proud resident of Kent County DE

MarkB

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 02:10:15 AM »
Dumb question - Can you ask for permission to keep a firearm locked in your car while on base?  When I was working I was able to get permission to have a locked firearm in my car while at work.  Also, can you ask for permission to carry concealed while on base?  I'm not sure how the military works now.  I was in the Coast Guard fifty years ago.
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

Cbmarine

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2016, 05:30:43 PM »
Dumb question - Can you ask for permission to keep a firearm locked in your car while on base?  When I was working I was able to get permission to have a locked firearm in my car while at work.  Also, can you ask for permission to carry concealed while on base?  I'm not sure how the military works now.  I was in the Coast Guard fifty years ago.
You can ask but you should wait until @Obleo tells us that he has been given permission.  He works there and can't get any authorization to transport on-base.  (that answer is implied in his response yesterday.)
New Castle County

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2016, 12:40:43 PM »

Not a dumb question.  Several official requests have been forwarded and each has received the same treatment.  CO sends to legal for response.  Legal regurgitates current policy. Discussion over.
Proud resident of Kent County DE

brudish

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2017, 06:37:05 PM »
I'm retired military and have a full-time job on Dover Air Force Base as a contractor.  So, about 90% of the time I'm not carrying because I'm either going to, or coming from the base.  Irrational and absurd gun-free zones.