Author Topic: Buying & selling question  (Read 7913 times)

FreakShow

• Life Member
Buying & selling question
« on: December 03, 2016, 09:56:22 PM »
Being a license holder, can i buy a gun from another holder without going through an FFL?
I got the fever and the only prescription, is more cowbell

NRA Member

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
Re: Buying & selling question
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 10:19:45 PM »
Yes.
There isn't even a requirement to keep a record of the transaction... but the seller would be well-advised to create a bill of sale that included a copy of your Delaware DL and CCDW permit.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

FreakShow

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 10:28:13 PM »
was just wondering. Thanks for the info!

NRA Member

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 10:56:37 PM »
11 Del C. § 1448A Criminal history record checks for sales of firearms.
(e) The provisions of this section shall not apply to:
(5) Transactions in which the potential buyer or transferee holds a valid concealed deadly weapons license pursuant to §§ 1441, 1441A and 1441B of this title; and

Note that the seller does not have to be a permit holder (IIRC) if a DE resident.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 10:59:50 PM by Cbmarine »
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

Tonym

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 08:10:25 PM »
Yeah as far as i know only the buyer needs the ccw, seller doesnt matter

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 06:14:07 PM »
Question answered. Let's move on. It's legal.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

FreakShow

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 06:48:34 PM »
Question answered. Let's move on. It's legal.

LOL

NRA Member

rikwick

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2016, 12:11:13 PM »
Just before Thanksgiving I tried to purchase an AR 15 from a guy from Wilmington, the rifle was posted on Armslist.  Had it all set up to meet him after work, told him I had a DE CCDW and that a background check was unnecessary. A couple of hours later he text me that he had called State Troopers and Starquest both of which told him the sale required a background check.  So I text him back a copy of DE law stating I was exempt but he felt "uncomfortable" to go ahead with the sale without running up to Starquest in rush hour traffic.  I couldn't do it (I was leaving for SC for the holiday, and I wouldn't just on principle).  What is it with gun owners not knowing the law?  I was willing to make a copy of my CCDW and create a bill of sale no problem for his records.  Really pissed me off!  Same thing happened at the last gun show at Nur Temple.  A guy was selling some of his private guns at the show and he also was insistent on a background check, even after I explained a CCDW holder does not need one for private sales.  Come on people, a CCDW should mean more than a way for the state to keep track of us!

lynch

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2016, 12:20:57 PM »
The new Delaware AG needs to have us (our state resident ccdw permit holders) put on the Permanent Brady Permit list. Be done with all this nonsense. We who hold valid CCDW permits have been vetted enough times that there should be an exemption for us pertaining to background checks.

Permanent Brady Permit
DE ccdw
PA  LTCF
Utah CFP
NRA member

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2016, 01:29:25 PM »
A lot of folks are probably confused and a bit uncertain as to what they may do.  I mean, many people know that the backgrounds checks are required, because that's what gets talked about.  And even if he did call DSP, he may not have given all of the facts (such as your CCW).  Or, the person on the other end of the telephone may not know the law, or (more than likely) is uncomfortable blindly dispensing advice without being certain of the facts.  As far as calling a business that stands to make or not make money as a result of their advice, well, just call the Miller brothers for their opinion on that one. 
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2016, 01:54:32 PM »
Similar thing used to happen to me when I had a C&R (Curio & relic) FFL03 license. I was trying to buy some old guns on Gunbroker, and the sellers refused to sell to me even when it was legal to do so. Regardless of evidence of legality. It happens a lot.
New Castle County

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2016, 06:38:16 PM »
Similar experience to @rikwik.  Bought a rifle from friend who is also DE CCDW permit holder. He insisted on a background check even though the FFL confirmed that it wasn't necessary.  He wanted an ironclad paper trail. 
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

robberbaron

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2017, 10:59:34 PM »
I also want an ironclad paper trail. In this day of litigation, I want every protection I can get. The letter of the law is fine, but taking it one step above that protects everyone involved.

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2017, 04:15:40 PM »
I would never sell or buy a gun without going through an FFL,  regardless if it is legal to do so.  It gives me peace of mind knowing there is a record that whatever happened before the purchase or after the sale it is not my responsibility..

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2017, 06:25:42 PM »
I write up two receipts, with seller and buyers signatures, names & addresses, gun description amd serial number. I check the other person's ID. Good enough for me. If the law says I don't need to make the transfer through an FFL, I am fine with it (no offense Chris!). Now if the person I am dealing with seems "shady", or hestitates giving me ID....then the transfer comes to a halt.
New Castle County