Author Topic: Driving record  (Read 5324 times)

Obs1546

Driving record
« on: December 21, 2016, 12:26:58 AM »
Hi all. My wife and I are in the going through the steps to hopefully get our CCW licenses. I just found these forums and saw a few posts about driving records. In all my time driving I never had any issues until this year. I had a speeding ticket and was cited for inattentive driving 6 months ago. How big an issue is this. The process is too expensive if there's a high chance I'll be denied. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

rikwick

Re: Driving record
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 10:59:49 AM »
I personally have only seen driving record come in to play regarding a denial maybe twice and it was always a secondary issue, and never the main reason unless of course it was alcohol related. My opinion is that your driving record would have to be really bad in order to be denied.  Besides that by the time your application is processed and is being considered your offenses would almost be a year ago, which seems to be the time frame the court gives for having nothing on your record.  You should be fine in my estimation. 

Obs1546

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 11:25:16 AM »
That's what I was hoping would be the case. I never really thought about my driving record having any bearing until I saw those posts (except in cases like dwi, which could lead to criminal charges). I just wasn't sure how hard they look for a reason to deny an application.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 12:38:19 PM »
Welcome!

PM inbound.

Also, when you are ready for the class, let me know.  We have one or so a month.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 08:57:43 PM »
Just my opinion, but something like "aggressive driving" could throw a red flag for someone requesting to carry a gun. I also don't think inattentive driving is a red flag. Welcome to the forum.
New Castle County

rikwick

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 11:03:09 AM »
Good point Lumspond.  Aggressive driving or reckless driving would throw up a red flag.  These offenses would certainly give a pause due to their to the fact that they show more of character trait that is not conducive to carrying a firearm.

Sparky

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 01:09:25 AM »
I've heard a change August 2016, DE Attorney General investigators asking for out of state driving record if you lived in  DE last than a 5 (?) years.  I had to submit an out of state complete driving record not just the standard last 3 or 5 years which I think helped off set my 2 cell phone tickets the last few years. Seems more weight being put on driving records if you respect the law while I had 2 violations for the same offence the Judge signed off on the permit.

I heard some guy was denied for over 50 violations on his DE license over many years. He filed an appeal with the Judge. The guy explained majority of the tickets when he was young and dumb and corrected his driving behavior later in life. The Judge granted his permit with a 6 month probation.

So I wouldn't sweat normal moving violations
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 02:58:06 AM by Sparky »

LostM

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 03:08:54 AM »
They are now asking for a COMPLETE out of state record. I know because i received a letter asking for the complete, specifically NOT the ABSTRACT that I included. My NJ driving history is not that pretty being 4 pages long. As the guy above posted, it was when i was young and dumb, before the USMC and Army. I only have a few incidents since 2005, but 1 was in 2015 ( after i was leaving a high threat driving course- go figure).  I am still awaiting the response, so I can not say how much it affects their decision yet. i will keep this board posted

Sparky

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 01:21:51 PM »
Hey LostM,

When I received the letter from the AG's office thinking it was bad news, while it was not a rejection never knew or heard driving records would be an issue on CCS permits. As far as a time line, it was 6 weeks after I submitted my out of state driving record when I received the permit. What I have noticed if you have lived in DE less than 5 years permits are taking at least 6 months. While long term DE residents seem to be arriving in 1/2 the time frame.  I seen if the AG rejects you're permit they are required to mail the rejection letter or maybe request an interview. I don't know what County you in but seems Kent and NC taking less time to process/issue permits. Some say once the AG completed their work it takes 2-3 weeks for the County to issue/mail the permit.

LostM

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 02:13:57 AM »
Thank you,
I've been following timelines, and in Im in Kent.  Seems that people on the board that submitted the same time that I did ( august), received their permits the same week I received my letter (early Nov), so that reinforces the idea that they do them in bunches. 

How long it takes from here, we shall see. Its been 3 weeks since Ive submitted the additional info, and the lady requesting it, Gia, was very polite and helpful when i spoke on the phone to ensure that she did receive them to move the process forward.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2017, 11:50:20 AM »
They have been requesting a full out of state record/abstract for at least 4 years now. We applied 4 years ago and got phone calls from the investigators then stating we needed to order them from NJ and submit them. Not sure how long before that however.

MarcWinkman

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 03:11:29 PM »
Having just gotten my CCDW in January, I can say I don't think that driving record has a huge impact at all unless you've at some point been declared an habitual offender under Title 21 (traffic title of the Delaware Code), or if you've had an alcohol or drug related driving infraction (DUI or DUI Drugs).  I know for a fact that at the time I submitted my application I had a speeding ticket on my record and unfortunately got a subsequent ticket while my application was in process.  Apparently it didn't adversely affect anything.