Author Topic: Would-be thief has gun taken at People's Plaza Shopping Center  (Read 7159 times)

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
Would-be thief has gun taken at People's Plaza Shopping Center
« on: December 29, 2016, 03:15:33 PM »
Would-be thief has gun taken at People's Plaza Shopping Center

Xerxes Wilson, The News Journal.  8:45 p.m. EST December 28, 2016

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/2016/12/28/would--thief-has-gun-taken-peoples-plaza-shopping-center/95936036/p

A would-be robber had his own gun taken from him in People's Plaza Shopping Center in Glasgow Tuesday, according to Delaware State Police.

Police were called to the shopping center shortly before 9 p.m. Tuesday. A 33-year-old man had arranged to sell two phones to another man in the shopping center parking lot. But instead of purchasing the phones, the person pulled a gun on the man trying to sell the phones, police said.

The suspect demanded the phones, but the victim refused and wrestled the would-be thief to the ground and took his gun, police said. The suspect then fled on foot, police said.

Nobody was injured and police described the suspect as a black man, standing 5 feet 6 inches to 5 feet 8 inches tall with a black hooded sweatshirt and black hat.

If anyone has any information in reference to this incident they are asked to contact the Robbery Unit at Troop 2, Glasgow, at 302-365-8566. Information may also be provided by calling Delaware Crime Stoppers at 1-800-TIP-3333, via the internet at www.tipsubmit.com, or by sending an anonymous tip by text to 274637 (CRIMES) using the keyword “DSP.”
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

PPScarry

• Life Member
  • del ccdw license holder - NRA member
Re: Would-be thief has gun taken at People's Plaza Shopping Center
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 04:13:03 PM »
Not a good idea to wrestle a gun away. Glad it worked out but I say the guy is lucky to be alive. I hope he rethinks his actions and realizes how lucky he is. It's a dangerous world with bad guys who have no value of human life.
"There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. "
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

AudiQ

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 01:27:27 AM »
Who sets up a meet in the dark to sell phones? Along with wrestling an armed perp, doesn't sound too bright to me. Pardon the pun.
Endeavor to persevere

NormH3

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 03:43:51 PM »
Hard questions to answer since we know nothing about the "victim". Perhaps he was ex military, trained in the martial arts...etc.

CorBon

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 06:38:46 PM »
I wouldn't recommend that anyone take my advice, but the truth is -- there is no right answer in these situations.  This occurred about two miles from where the 7-11 clerk gave the robbers the money, and then was shot to death.  Sometimes the way around the problem is right through the middle.  I'm glad that it worked out for him, but I'm saddened that we live in a world with too many people that are unable to see how prevalent the criminal element is.  And for the most part, these are the same people who think that we can spend our way out of debt.

Bad people are bad people.  Bad people are not good people waiting to be reformed.

And, again, I'm not recommending that anyone to roll up to North Market and offer to wrestle all of the folks standing on the corners, but I am certainly not going to say anything bad about this guy's choice of actions.  And with that being said, I am literally heading off to Peoples Plaza right now.  Luckily there's still daylight left!
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 08:53:14 PM »
Many folks sell through online forums like craigslist and facebook then meet up in parking lots. I know my wife has gone to meet people on several occasions at night though she will usually meet in the parking lot of the local or police of state police barracks. She does take her sidearm. I usually accompany her though not always able to. Yeah, there are risks but there are risks to everything. If one is too paranoid why bother living. I have more chance of being run off the road by another driver while on my motorcycle then you do meeting up in a well lit and busy parking lot to sell something.

del elec

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 09:33:31 PM »
Unless it's someone that I know from the forums I follow, I insist that the exchanges take place either at Troop 2 or the Middletown PD.
[]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
------)_'_\ * (
"----------\ * \
"-----------\_*_\
Life NRA
Shooters Choice
Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club
DE CCDW
PA LTCF
MD Wear & Carry

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 12:32:46 AM »
I usually pick the Middletown Wawa right there by the air pumps. Its well lit, busy, people are ALWAYS at the air pumps and its easy to find each other.

del elec

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2016, 11:25:36 AM »
I usually pick the Middletown Wawa right there by the air pumps. Its well lit, busy, people are ALWAYS at the air pumps and its easy to find each other.
Yeah, I know. At least we were in sight of the police station. :)
[]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
------)_'_\ * (
"----------\ * \
"-----------\_*_\
Life NRA
Shooters Choice
Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club
DE CCDW
PA LTCF
MD Wear & Carry

CorBon

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2017, 04:16:34 PM »
I missed the story of the 7-11 clerk being shot...was that recently?
Anyone have a link?

Apparently, TNJ can't be bothered to keep articles about crime.

Three charged in murder of Glasgow 7-11 clerk | Regional News | cecildaily.com
http://www.cecildaily.com/news/state_news/article_b592c7ee-fdc5-11e1-b28e-0019bb2963f4.html
By Katy Bowman Special from the Newark Post,Sep 13, 2012

Police have charged two men and a woman with the murder of Mohammed Rafique Ullah, the 7-11 clerk killed during a robbery of the Newark store Wednesday morning, police said.

The trio were also charged in the attempted robbery of the I-95 Service Plaza that occurred Tuesday night, three hours before the murder.

Delaware State Police charged Andre D. Palmer, 25, of Fairburn, Ga.; Vanisha D. Carson, 25, of New Castle; and Vincent Stallings, 21, of Wilmington, with first-degree murder and first-degree robbery, along with other crimes, after connecting them through numerous interviews, surveillance-footage review and evidence collection at the crime scene, police said.

A key piece of information in the case came from a truck driver who, after watching three suspects flee from the service plaza and drive off in a vehicle, reported the incident and the car's tag number to police, said Delaware State Police spokesman Sgt. Paul G. Shavack.

The investigation began when detectives learned of an armed robbery that had occurred around 9:35 p.m. Tuesday at the I-95 Service Plaza in Newark.

Police learned that two black male suspects wearing dark clothing and masks had threatened an employee and then entered the rear door of the plaza, proceeded to a secured room where a safe is kept, and attempted to force entry into the room by kicking the door, but unsuccessfully.

The suspects fled the building on foot and headed into the parking lot, where the truck driver observed the suspects get into a vehicle, described as a black Ford Taurus, and travel southbound on I-95.

The truck driver was able to provide police with a description of the suspects, as well as the Ford’s Delaware registration number, Shavack said.

"He could have just not said anything, but that was something he was able to do," Shavack said. "If you see suspicious people or vehicles, get a tag number, get suspect descriptions if you can. It was a key information in this case."

Shortly after that incident, at 12:40 a.m. Wednesday, two black male suspects wearing dark clothing, and masks covering their faces, entered the 7-11 store on Four Seasons Parkway in Newark, and confronted the clerk and demanded money, police said. The clerk, later identified as Ullah, gave them cash from the register.

As both suspects were fleeing the store, the suspect armed with the handgun turned and fired at least one round, striking Ullah in the upper body, police said.

Ullah was pronounced dead at the scene, and his body was turned over to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner to determine the cause and manner of death.

After reviewing surveillance footage, detectives were able to determine the suspects in the I-95 Service Plaza attempted robbery as the same suspects involved in the 7-11 convenience store robbery and homicide, Shavack said.

On Wednesday, Delaware State Police executed a search warrant in the unit block of Winterhaven Drive, at the apartment of the registered owner of the Ford Taurus. Police also searched the Taurus, parked in lot of the complex, which is close to the 7-11 convenience store where the murder occurred.

While executing the search warrant, troopers found clothing and a white face mask worn by Palmer during both robberies. Police took Palmer and Carson into custody inside the apartment, police said.

Through further investigation, detectives determined that Carson had been the driver of the Taurus while Palmer and Stallings had committed both robberies. Palmer had worn the white face mask, and Stallings had worn the black face mask in both robberies, police said.

Police also learned that Stallings was in possession of the handgun during the 7-11 robbery, and that he had fired the shot that killed Ullah, police said.

Around 3 a.m. Thursday, Delaware State Police Special Operations Response Team members executed a search warrant at an apartment in the unit block of Court Drive in Lancaster Court Apartments complex and found Stallings inside. Police took him into custody without incident, Shavack said.

Police charged Carson and Palmer late Wednesday evening with murder in the first degree, robbery in the first degree, two counts of possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony, and conspiracy in the second degree.

Palmer was committed to Howard R. Young Correctional Institution.

Carson was committed to Baylor Women's Correctional Institution.

Stallings was charged this morning with murder in the first degree, robbery in the first degree, two counts of possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony, and conspiracy in the second degree and remanded to Howard R. Young Correctional Institution.

There is no bail granted in cases of first-degree-murder, Shavack said.

CorBon

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2017, 10:19:12 PM »
Thanks CorBon
I know that it's been a couple of years since that happened, but I drove by that place twice today -- and over the years was in there countless times. Plus, anti-gunners and various "experts" will gladly tell you that if you just give the bad guys what they want, then you'll be safe.  Those people are idiots.