Author Topic: CCW Question  (Read 3390 times)

Sparky

CCW Question
« on: December 28, 2016, 03:07:16 AM »
Question: can a DE CCW permit holder leave your a loaded handgun in your vehicle while you visit a "no ccw" business, State office building or hospital?

Rabbit

Re: CCW Question
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 10:46:18 AM »
I am not a lawyer, but you can leave your firearm in your vehicle while you take care of your business in a building or facility that does not allow firearms. A firearm is a significant investment so if your going to leave a gun in you car get a lock box that is intended for firearm storage and mount it in your car.

That being said if it is a business like a ice cream shop that bans firearms as a matter of policy not state or federal law, and you bring your firearm you they can only ask you leave (if they discover your are possessing a firearm). At which point you leave or face trespassing charges and you my also get banned from that establishment. It's best just to politely apologize to the employee/manager and leave they probably have no control over cooperate policy, just write a letter to mangment questing the rationale of the policy.

For state of federal property or places where firearms are banned as a matter of law even leaving your firearm in your car my still be illegal, 18USC930 has been applied to parking lots for federal building (when the parking lot is owned or leased by the federal government). My advice if it's a federal building don't even leave it in you car, leave it home or what I've done in past park across the street from the post office and then leave it in the car. The same for state property where firearms are banned.

Sparky

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 01:05:25 PM »
Thanks Rabbit .........

What's confusing, DE outside carry while driving leave the handgun either on the seat or dash so visible to the LE. Now with a DE CCW can you by law leave the handgun hidden loaded or unloaded in the car when you're not in the car. Like you said, if you go to the post office just don't want to break any State Law surrounding my new permit versus leaving the gun at home.

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 03:31:20 PM »
Good thread on handgun storage in vehicle.
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

FreakShow

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 07:38:22 PM »
i work at a state prison and can not keep my gun in my car as far as i know.
I got the fever and the only prescription, is more cowbell

NRA Member

Sparky

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 01:40:00 PM »
So does DE CCW law allow licensee to leave your handgun concealed in the vehicle at un-restrictive locations? 

Rabbit

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 02:05:19 AM »
Are you worried about a police officer charging your car with possession of a concealed firearm? Delaware doesn't have any laws that covers proper storage of an unattended firearm. It would be legal to just to toss your loaded gun on to your dashboard lock the doors and walk away, but not necessarily smart.

lynch

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 09:14:43 AM »
If you have a permit you can conceal it in your car. It can be loaded as long as it's a handgun. A loaded rifle or shotgun is different:
Loaded Firearms Prohibited in or on Motor Vehicles, Motorboats or Farm Machinery.
No person shall have a loaded shotgun or rifle in that person's possession in, against or on any automobile,
other vehicle, any piece of farm machinery, motorboat while under power, sailboat while under power, or
have any ammunition in the magazine or chamber of such shotgun or rifle except when it is otherwise lawful
to hunt crippled migratory birds from a motorboat as permitted by federal law.
DE ccdw
PA  LTCF
Utah CFP
NRA member

Rabbit

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 11:53:38 AM »
Your right about rifles and and shotguns, my bad.