Author Topic: Blackpoint Tactical Mini Wing Holster  (Read 13114 times)

MarcWinkman

• Life Member
Blackpoint Tactical Mini Wing Holster
« on: January 20, 2017, 03:05:14 PM »
Now that I've been carrying out in the world for a couple of weeks now, I feel comfortable to write up a little review of the Blackpoint Tactical Mini Wing Holster that I've been using to tote my Sig P229.  

So, What is a Black Point Tactical Mini Wing?  It's a kydex holster shell that's specific to a particular gun and at the bottom of the holster on either side, there's little leather tabs or "wings" that have plastic belt clips attached to them by a phillips head screw.  The holster comes with two sets of belt clips, 1.5" and 1.75" to accommodate whatever belt you may wear with the holster.  The clips are very easily adjustable to change the cant and ride height of the holster.  Personally, I'm carrying just behind my hip with minimal if any forward cant.  The Holster is tuckable and does a great job of holding the gun close to your body while still allowing you to get a full firing grip and execute a swift draw when needed.  The little wings flex to so that the holster conforms to your body wherever you decide to wear it whether it's appendix all the way around to a cross draw.  Pretty nifty.  Another nifty option that is offered is for an IWB Mini Wing that will accommodate a light mounted pistol, you know, if that's your thing. 

From the above, obviously, I'm fond of the holster and would recommend it.  My particular specimen is the Sig Legion branded version which is identical to what would be ordered direct from Blackpoint, but I was able to get mine in a matter of about three days from Sig as opposed to the two to four week lead time that Blackpoint quoted.  For the two to four week lead time however, you have your choice of many different colors for the kydex holster front and back, different color options for the leather wings, and a choice of plastic or steel IWB clips.  Pricing is maybe a little on the high side, but not by any means what I would call unreasonable at $90.00 with minor upcharges for certain Kydex color options.  For IWB carry, I'm really digging the Mini Wing.  So much so that I'm going to be ordering up another for my newly acquired Walther PPS which I plan to shoot on my lunch break today.  

MarcWinkman

• Life Member
Re: Blackpoint Tactical Mini Wing Holster
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 03:03:12 PM »
Quick update, Blackpoint Tactical Holsters that are ordered straight through Blackpoint only come with one set of belt clips.  I just got my new holster in for my PPS and it included the 1.5" kydex clips only.  Moral of the story, if you're planning to get one for a Sig pistol, get it through the Sig store as you'll avoid the 4 week wait and you'll also get the bonus of an extra set of belt clips.  That said, I'm still super happy with these holsters and can't wait to give the PPS a go in the new one. 

topper

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 12:01:58 AM »
I got one for my Glock. It's my favorite.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms…disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes…

USAF Vietnam Era Veteran
Army National Guard
Civil Air Patrol
NRA Life Time Member
DE CCW
PA CCW

coolwrld

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 07:45:01 PM »
Marc,

How do you like carrying the P229?  I just picked one up and have a Stealthgear OwB Flex on order may also pick up one of the BPT Wings as well.  I ask because as a larger individual with too much stuffing around the middle I generally have no hips and so carrying at 3 - 4 o'clock I find my holsters sliding down a bit especially while walking.  I am currently carrying a CZ P07 or Walther P99 and am a little concerned with the added weight of the metal frame of the P229 it may slide down more so than the P07 or P99 already do.
DE - CCDW Permit Holder
PA - N/R CCDW Permit Holder
NRA Life Member
New Castle County

MarcWinkman

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 02:58:24 PM »
Marc,

How do you like carrying the P229?  I just picked one up and have a Stealthgear OwB Flex on order may also pick up one of the BPT Wings as well.  I ask because as a larger individual with too much stuffing around the middle I generally have no hips and so carrying at 3 - 4 o'clock I find my holsters sliding down a bit especially while walking.  I am currently carrying a CZ P07 or Walther P99 and am a little concerned with the added weight of the metal frame of the P229 it may slide down more so than the P07 or P99 already do.

I really like carrying the P229 for the most part.  The only time I'm not crazy about it is when driving for an extended period of time, and that's because of the very high side bolstered seats in my car.  In regard to the Blackpoint Tactical Mini Wing, it's an awesome holster for me.  I'm rail skinny and don't have much in the way of hips or gluts to wedge a holster in place, but between my belt and the design of the Mini Wing Holster, I have no problems at all!  I highly recommend this holster.  I have one  for my P229, P226, PPS and P30L.  I've carried each all day and it's almost like I forget the gun is there because it's so comfortable.  I will say, however, that having a good belt helps immensely.  Personally, I use a Wilson Combat gun belt, but I assume any good gun belt would do the trick whether from Crossbreed, Galco, High Noon, etc.  Here's the downside to the Blackpoint (if you want to call it that) the lead time.  They're pretty consistently on a 6 week lead time.  It doesn't bother me since I know that they're putting together a quality item that's just for me...exactly how I specified it in terms of what gun it's for, what color front and back kydex, what color leather for the wings and what kind of belt attachment system of those offered I want.  Cost is pretty comparable to any other custom kydex holster maker at about $90.00 (depending on options) shipped.