Author Topic: Man drops gun at Dunkin in FL  (Read 3405 times)

tonygoldston

Man drops gun at Dunkin in FL
« on: February 12, 2017, 11:42:00 PM »
Florida man's gun drops from his clothing, discharges and a bullet hits a fellow customer at a Dunkin' Donuts on Saturday morning

Randy Barroso, whose gun dropped from his clothing and discharged in a Florida Dunkin' Donuts, is facing a negligence charge. A bullet hit a 55-year-old woman, who was taken to a hospital.

http://dailym.ai/2kIa3LW

Obleo

• Life Member
Re: Man drops gun at Dunkin in FL
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 01:13:53 AM »
That is exactly what should happen to anyone that drops their firearm and it discharges.  I carry exactly ZERO firearms that can discharge upon impact for that very reason.  Can you imagine the lawsuits that can emerge?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 01:15:40 AM by Obleo »
Proud resident of Kent County DE

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 01:05:58 PM »
All good questions Dave D. With most modern handguns, including revolvers, having trigger bar safeties (or whatever they are called), dropping one on the hammer shouldn't cause a discharge. I was thinking maybe an older pistol, or he fumbled with it.
New Castle County

greymas

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 01:22:52 PM »
Relative to the number of people who carry a round in the chamber including armed professionals and everyday citizens, I'd say this is an extremely rare occurrence. Unfortunately when it does happen, it makes the headlines. I would like to find out the details of holster and type of firearm used. It seems this information is never released. Past situations such as a discharged gun in a church a few years ago and Plaxico Burres shooting himself in the leg never had details released as far as I know. This adds to the fear people have that guns will just go off by themselves.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 01:33:00 PM »
Also wondering if FL requires any training to get a carry permit

Yes they do.  DD214, any hunter ed class, or any class offered by a national recognized training org.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

NormH3

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 01:33:58 PM »
Relative to the number of people who carry a round in the chamber including armed professionals and everyday citizens, I'd say this is an extremely rare occurrence. Unfortunately when it does happen, it makes the headlines. I would like to find out the details of holster and type of firearm used. It seems this information is never released. Past situations such as a discharged gun in a church a few years ago and Plaxico Burres shooting himself in the leg never had details released as far as I know. This adds to the fear people have that guns will just go off by themselves.

"Gun Hits Ground and Doesn't Fire" isn't a very interesting story.

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 08:02:50 PM »

"Gun Hits Ground and Doesn't Fire" isn't a very interesting story.

Exactly Norm.  As dumb as it sounds this happened to me but the gun, 1911, landed right on the hammer and did not fire.  For this platform it is impossible to AD the gun on a drop.  
Proud resident of Kent County DE