Author Topic: Joining the ranks soon  (Read 5379 times)

proav8r

Joining the ranks soon
« on: February 13, 2017, 08:45:36 PM »
Hello everyone. Just joined the website a couple of weeks ago and have found tons of useful information. This place is great! I just started the application process for myself and my wife and hope to be permitted ASAP. We will be submitting in NCC one the 10 days has elapsed for the newspaper requirement. Just wondering has anyone submittied a new application in 2017? I know I have searched on this forum for people's "reason for application" and most of the newer postings (2015/2016) have said keep it simple and use something to the effect of: For protection of self, family and property. Just wondering if that is still an okay reason because someone I work with seemed to thing that it wouldn't be specific enough? Any input would be appreciated.

PPScarry

• Life Member
  • del ccdw license holder - NRA member
Re: Joining the ranks soon
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 09:46:10 PM »
That is what I said word for word. Good luck and welcome.
"There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. "
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

SteveMiller

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 12:40:59 AM »
Same.

In training it was suggested to stay general.  The concern was if you said you needed it for work because you handle large sums of money you might end up with a limited permit that only supported that concern.   

I don't know if that happens or not, but I know most keep it general and that works.
Steve Miller
DSSA
NRA Life Member
Gun Owners of America

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 01:15:27 AM »
I think protection of self and family is pretty specific. 
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

NormH3

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 01:39:26 AM »
The person you work with must live in Maryland. :)

proav8r

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 01:59:38 AM »
Thanks for the welcome and the info guys! Yeah I came from Maryland and am all too familiar with the need for a "good and substantial reason" but that's what got me thinking was when my coworker who is licensed to carry in DE said that. I did notice searching on the forums that there were a few years back around 2010-2012 that people were saying their app was rejected for being too general. However it seems my gut instinct to keep it general with what the Delaware code says anyway seem like the path I am going to take.

Looking forward to learning more from you guys and hope I can share some information here soon too.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 12:13:43 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

When I did mine, my instructor said to write several reasons why I wanted to carry.
Such as I carry the bank deposit for my employer (day time). And I no longer like to go to
X at night because ....   I also listed the current (at the time) FBI stats for Delaware crime.

As an instructor for DE CCDW,  I encourage my students to do the same.  Actually
give them a copy of what I used and ask them to "fit" it into their situation.

The app states "BE VERY SPECIFIC".  If they accept the one liner, GREAT!
If not, you are on the spot to come up with stuff.  I like being ready just in case.
To date I am not aware of any of our students being rejected for TMI.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.  Lots of people here are willing to help.

If you would rather call, you can figure out my phone number in my profile.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 12:43:00 PM »
The concern was if you said you needed it for work because you handle large sums of money you might end up with a limited permit that only supported that concern.   

That's why I included several situations for day time and several evening.
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 12:44:56 PM »
Yeah I came from Maryland ...

How long have you been a DE resident?  You may need your driving record from MD.

proav8r

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 01:18:25 PM »
Thanks again guys. I will have a list of reasons ready I guess just in case. I have been a Delaware resident since June 2013. I did not see a driving record on the list of things from http://courts.delaware.gov/Forms/download.aspx?ID=33278 but it's clean just another hassle I guess if I need to get it >:(

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 02:12:27 PM »
From the investigator for the State as of today 2/14/17

SENT:
How long must an applicant be a Delaware resident before the driving record from their home state is not required?  Also, is it an abstract or the full record?

On the application, it states the reason BE VERY SPECIFIC.  It seems today, one line of "For the protection of ...." is ok.  In the past, that was rejected as it was not specific enough.  When I applied for mine years ago, I was very specific.

REPLY:
MUST BE A RESIDENT OF THE STATE FOR 5 YEARS.  WHEN SUBMITTING A DRIVING RECORD FROM ANOTHER STATE IT MUST BE A FULL CERTIFIED RECORD AND NOTORAZIED.

SENT:
Thank you for the information. I will pass it on.

How about the reasons? Will for protection of self, family, and property be specific enough? Or will it be rejected as not being specific enough.

Thank you again.

REPLY:
YES

proav8r

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 08:43:15 PM »
Wow thanks for the research! Okay guess another trip to the post office to mail out request for driving records.

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 09:40:25 PM »
If I am not mistaken, the reason is for the judge to decide. That is how I read the law.  Does the investigator get involved with the reason?
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2017, 03:25:34 PM »
The state constitution I believe says "for the protection of self, family, property and state". I like to add property in there as well though think I left off state. While I doubt very much I'd actually shoot someone walking out of my home with a TV it's nice to know the state has approved my carry permit to protect my property as well. Just a legal thing if ever needed.

It would be one calm and collected criminal to walk in, pickup a TV and walk out giving zero personal threat to me while I have a firearm pointed at them. Remember, you need to be fearful of life and show attempted retreat in Delaware.  >:(