Author Topic: Glock .45 ACP Model Muddle  (Read 5950 times)

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
Glock .45 ACP Model Muddle
« on: February 17, 2017, 06:25:12 PM »
The Glock .45 ACP model line differs from the typical array of fullsize, compact, sub-compact, and competition. The .45 ACP line omits the compact model but has four subcompact models G30 Gens 3&4, G30SF, G30S, and G36. For me, it is easy to eliminate the G30SF (not small-handed) and the G30 Gen 3.  Also G36 mag capacity makes that model unattractive. The G30S is built on the G30SF frame indicating that it is for small hands also. So, now that I may have answered my own question, how does the G30 felt recoil compare with the G23 Gen 4 or G27?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 06:33:43 PM by Cbmarine »
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

del elec

• Life Member
Re: Glock .45 ACP Model Muddle
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 07:05:37 PM »
Even though the Glock 30 series is labeled "subcompact", you can see in the pictures that it's basically identical in size to the Glock 19. The grip of the 19 is about 3/8" longer than the 30 with a 10 round magazine. I was at the range with the 30 on Wednesday and off the top of my head I couldn't tell how the felt recoil compared with the 23. Next time I go I'll take my 23 and shoot them both to get a better feel of how they compare. I believe the Gen4 frame with no backstrap installed is comparable to the sf frame, and with the smaller backstrap installed is comparable to the Gen3 frame.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 07:12:50 PM by del elec »
[]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
------)_'_\ * (
"----------\ * \
"-----------\_*_\
Life NRA
Shooters Choice
Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club
DE CCDW
PA LTCF
MD Wear & Carry

Cbmarine

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 08:03:24 PM »
Thanks. Waiting for your recoils comparisons. Next question: is holster common with both G19/23 and G30?
New Castle County

del elec

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 08:50:33 PM »
It depends on the holster. My N82 for my 19/23 also fits my 30, but my Blackhawk Serpa does not.
[]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
------)_'_\ * (
"----------\ * \
"-----------\_*_\
Life NRA
Shooters Choice
DE CCDW
PA LTCF
MD Wear & Carry

64Falconguy

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 01:21:11 AM »
I carry my G30s daily. Such a good little shooter. I find the recoil to be more of a push rearward, almost a thump. I find my G22 is more of a crisp crack and more muzzle flip. The G30s is very pleasant to shoot and very easy to get back on target. My personal opinion is that the G30s is as easy to shoot as my G21. Its just the perfect balance of size to conceal, power, and capacity. The bonus is I carry a G21 mag as backup. Hope this helps.

Cbmarine

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 01:25:45 AM »
Yes, that does help. Thanks. Does the G30s have a smaller grip than the G22?
New Castle County

64Falconguy

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 01:32:17 AM »
The G30s grip is just a marginal amount thicker width wise. My G22 is a Gen 4.

del elec

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 06:21:25 PM »
Well, I hit Targetmaster today (I hate going there on the weekend :P) and spent some time shooting the 23 and the 30. The Glock 30 Gen4 is definitely a softer shooter than the Glock 23 Gen4. Now i have to stock up on some .45acp because I'll be shooting it a lot more. ;D
[]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
------)_'_\ * (
"----------\ * \
"-----------\_*_\
Life NRA
Shooters Choice
DE CCDW
PA LTCF
MD Wear & Carry

robberbaron

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 12:08:36 AM »
I have a Glock 23 and 30S. They are different guns. The 23 is a great gun, shoots all my reloads without a hiccup. The recoil between the 2 is different. I find the 30S to be a little softer, but not very noticeable. The 30S is great fun, but reloads are more of a problem. With that said, I carry the 30S, but if I had to choose between the 2 as the only gun I could own, I would have to pick the 23.

Cbmarine

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 02:14:20 AM »
...I find the 30S to be a little softer, but not very noticeable
My thanks to you, @del elec, and @64Falconguy. Addresses my concern
The 30S is great fun, but reloads are more of a problem.
Any idea why? Bullet shape? COL? Case trim length?  Hornady says "little or no crimp should be used, as the .45 Automatic headspaces on the mouth of the case". (.45 ACP is the gun the .45 Auto is fired in. Yes, my thread title is technically incorrect.)
With that said, I carry the 30S, but if I had to choose between the 2 as the only gun I could own, I would have to pick the 23.
the G30 would be an addition not a replacement. My baby is my EDC.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 02:19:28 AM by Cbmarine »
New Castle County

del elec

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 11:41:26 AM »
Glad to be of help CB. My Glock 30 Gen4 was a great addition to my collection. It was $491 out the door at Trinity Tactical. Some people I know have complained that the 10 round magazine pinches their finger. I installed Pearce floorplates and that has eliminated that problem. It looks better too. The first picture is the standard magazine, the second is with the Pearce floorplate.

[attachment deleted by admin]
[]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
------)_'_\ * (
"----------\ * \
"-----------\_*_\
Life NRA
Shooters Choice
DE CCDW
PA LTCF
MD Wear & Carry

robberbaron

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 11:49:08 PM »
I don't really know why the reloads are sometimes problematic. I use a Lee Turret press and and a Hornady AP press. I have tried different crimps, COL, powders, etc. Fortunately, I think I have stumbled on to the right combo. The last time I went to the range, I had no problems. I should also add that I replace the stock barrel with a Lone Wolf barrel when practicing because I shoot reloads and the Glock barrel is known for the "Glock Bulge" and possible failure. The Lone Wolf barrel is much tighter, but I don't worry about a case failing. It used to happen with the Glock barrel. I don't use the Lone Wolf barrel when I carry and only use factory loads.

Cbmarine

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2017, 02:29:41 AM »
... Fortunately, I think I have stumbled on to the right combo. The last time I went to the range, I had no problems.
Care to share the recipe?
...the Glock barrel is known for the "Glock Bulge" and possible failure. The Lone Wolf barrel is much tighter, but I don't worry about a case failing. It used to happen with the Glock barrel.
heard the bulge was a problem in Glock 23 Gen 2's  
New Castle County