Author Topic: Constitutional carry in de. (Delete if not allowed)  (Read 11670 times)

BillyTheKidd556

Constitutional carry in de. (Delete if not allowed)
« on: February 23, 2017, 02:50:49 AM »
I have been trying to get some momentum going on a Delaware constitutional carry petition. Our current process is over priced and potentially puts us in danger (putting your address in the paper saying you own a firearm) i posted on Facebook and got 4 signatures  :(. Turns out Facebook friends are only willing to like your pro gun post, but when it comes to taking action they do nothing. The link will be below. If this is not allowed i apologize.
https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/delaware-constitutional-carry/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=button

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
Re: Constitutional carry in de. (Delete if not allowed)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 09:54:47 AM »
Not a Facebook person, but good luck with that in Delaware. 
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 02:38:02 PM »
While yes it's expensive, a can of Coke is expensive today, other states can be just as expensive and even more expensive. Your $500 figure is inflated as well since both the wife and I did everything together including costs for NJ DMV records along with overnight courier services to deliver out paperwork to the court and iirc the total was just under $700 bucks.

While "potentially puts us in danger" I agree with, find a single instance of a home being broken into, the owner threatened or harmed (in this state) due to the newspaper posting. P00f.. The posting has been required for over 100 years and without a single reported instance any danger is insignificant to our leaders.

Constitutional Carry has absolutely zero chance in Delaware at this point due to its current politics and judges. It just simply isn't going to happen. You could literally have 20,000 signatures or even 20,000 people show up at a rally and the current government would turn it down.

One also has to remember that today everything is give and take and unfortunately gun owners usually give much more then we get. Currently yeah, we pay quite a bit BUT we can carry most places and signs can be ignored. That said, if a Bill for Constitutional Carry was voted on I could see the other side adding more restrictions. Suddenly signs are legal, pubs, bars or even restaurants that serves alcohol, banks, public transportation, etc are all off limits because politicians added on more anti-gun provisions. They could even tack on a crazy mental health checkup requirement! How much are you willing to give up to gain Constitutional Carry?

Personally I'd like to see Pro groups start working on the state suppressor ban since I see them being removed from the NFA program soon. Or something like having the silly automatic knife ban removed. They are safer then folding knives and are no more dangerous. Heck, even Maryland removed their ban a few years ago.

SteveMiller

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 12:27:03 AM »
Agree with Adrenolin on all the key points and priority.  Also to the point he makes about no carry places, we always see AZ as super gun friendly, but how about seeing no carry signs all over the place that are enforceable by law.  For that reason, not a place I would consider living.
Steve Miller
DSSA
NRA Life Member
Gun Owners of America

MarcWinkman

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 03:05:20 PM »
Frankly, I'm not a fan of constitutional carry.  Just because one is able to buy a gun and carry it however s/he wants to in a constitutional carry state, it doesn't mean that s/he is safe or qualified to do so.  Trust me, I have a few friends that are gun owners that I cringe at the thought of them carrying a weapon for a myriad or reasons. 

airman1968

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 03:38:18 PM »
I'm in agreement with MarcWinkman. Not just anyone should be able to carry.
U.S. Air Force Vietnam Veteran
CCDW Delaware, CCW from Ut,Fl,Az,Ma.
NRA Life member
Life Member VFW
Life Member DAV

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 03:45:59 PM »
Frankly, I'm not a fan of constitutional carry.  Just because one is able to buy a gun and carry it however s/he wants to in a constitutional carry state, it doesn't mean that s/he is safe or qualified to do so.  Trust me, I have a few friends that are gun owners that I cringe at the thought of them carrying a weapon for a myriad or reasons.  
Strongly agree. The prefatory clause of the 2nd amendment is the necessity of the militia which inherently mandates firearms proficiency which is gained through training and practice. Constitutional carry provides an excuse to bypass firearms discipline. Just the simple concept of muzzle control is an unknown to most people.  Four Gun Laws? Color Codes? Fed and State laws? AOJ+P?  
The more training I get, the more I find out how little I know.  'Nuf said.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 07:17:17 PM by Cbmarine »
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

PPScarry

• Life Member
  • del ccdw license holder - NRA member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 04:08:12 PM »
See plenty of people at the range handle pistols with their finger on the trigger. I always correct them or leave if they don't want my advice. Pretty bad.
"There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. "
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

8thFA

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 06:15:06 PM »
Frankly, I'm not a fan of constitutional carry.  Just because one is able to buy a gun and carry it however s/he wants to in a constitutional carry state, it doesn't mean that s/he is safe or qualified to do so.  Trust me, I have a few friends that are gun owners that I cringe at the thought of them carrying a weapon for a myriad or reasons. 
Marc I agree 100%.  Go to your local range and look at all the divots in the walls and ceilings, then imagine all those folks with a gun in their pants...
US Army veteran
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
NCC

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 07:06:03 PM »
I disagree on the required training though believe anyone with a firearm should gain some knowledge. Imo common sense goes a long away and sadly today very few people have any. Also in regards to the militia. The large majority of Militia were everyday people with little to no real shooting experience before the wars and even then many were simply passed a rifle. With some common sense pretty much anyone realizes safe handling, pointing, etc of a firearm but again it's gravely lacking today. Additionally pretty much anyone can pick up a 9mm, shoot and hit a target at 15-20' away and in a stressful situation even LEOs and military personal can freeze up.

Don't know about many of the other CCDW classics but the two I know about focus very little on training and mostly on the legalities and safety of carrying a firearm.

Yes, I agree that people should train even if they just have a nighttable gun or they carry but I disagree that it should be required. If anything, people should have a common sense exam since that goes much further then an hour at a range with an instructor without any common sense.

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 08:29:05 PM »
We now have at least 12 states with so called constitutional carry.  I have not seen the problems that are envisioned.  Vermont never required any form of license to carry concealed.  I have traveled many times in that state.  Never had a feeling that it was s dangerous place. 

Pennsylvania has well over a million carry licenses out there and does not require training.  Do we see a lot of problems?

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely believe in training.   But a license is just that. A permission slip that is granted by the state. And it can be taken away if the state chooses to do so. 

A right is a right.  If people abuse it then THEY need to be held accountable.
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

LostM

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 08:34:51 PM »
I  love (satire) reading anti-gun / pro infringement opinions on pro-gun sites.  
 Requiring a class is a good idea, forcing it is ineffective. I wrote about my experience in a local class ( thread locked) and how I have 13+ (and counting) combat deployments, and Ive never felt so unsafe as I did with the people in the class around live rounds.

Granted, Im a Constitutional Conservative/ Libertarian so it makes sense, If you pass the background check, go get your CCDW.  
AT MOST you should have to do an online 1 hour course that covers LEGALITY of CCDW. AT MOST - open carry should be the permit required, not CONCEALED. If your broadcasting to the general public you armed, you better be a trained and experienced person

If a person whom can legally purchase a firearm, chooses to carry it, concealed, w/o training, thats on them... and yes, ts on THEM if they shoot bystanders, it on them if they get disarmed and shot with their own weapon.. its all on them

Normalizing slight and constant infringements of natural born rights, is not the right way to think about things

MarcWinkman

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2017, 05:52:05 PM »
My point is that if you are going to carry at all, you're going to have to meet higher standards for personal responsibility, situational awareness, and personal judgment. Unfortunately not all people who own guns are responsible notwithstanding their ability to pass an NICS check after filling out a 4473.

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2017, 07:00:24 PM »

I agree but as a friend when I see another friend that is carrying or talking about it I do my best to help them do the right thing.  I have brought a few anti gunners to the light here recently.  All it takes is that first shot they fire if they put it down and walk away then you know they are not going to do it.  But when they just keep pulling the trigger with a big grin on their face and I get the wow that was fun.  It was all worth it i have yet to have one just fire one shot. 
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

NormH3

• Life Member
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2017, 10:13:24 PM »

I agree but as a friend when I see another friend that is carrying or talking about it I do my best to help them do the right thing.  I have brought a few anti gunners to the light here recently.  All it takes is that first shot they fire if they put it down and walk away then you know they are not going to do it.  But when they just keep pulling the trigger with a big grin on their face and I get the wow that was fun.  It was all worth it i have yet to have one just fire one shot. 

When you think about it, Delaware already has Constitutional carry in the way of Open carry. Anyone not prohibited can already purchase a handgun and carry it on their hip.