Author Topic: driving through Maryland  (Read 19066 times)

eliothowell

driving through Maryland
« on: February 24, 2017, 04:18:58 PM »
on my way to NC, as a permit holder, can i drive through Maryland legally?  VA and NC honor DE permits, but Maryland does not.
eliot

MarcWinkman

• Life Member
Re: driving through Maryland
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 04:36:28 PM »
Steer clear of MD. Definitely not a carry friendly jurisdiction.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 05:59:09 PM »
Yes, you can.  But gun MUST be unloaded.  I'd put it in a LOCKED container too AWAY from the passenger compartment.

DO YOUR own research!

[attachment deleted by admin]
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

NormH3

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 08:21:45 PM »
Steer clear of MD. Definitely not a carry friendly jurisdiction.

Tough to do unless you drive up through PA and down through WVA.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 11:24:20 PM »
If you come down through Delaware heading for the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel , you will only have a short distance from Salisbury to the Eastern Shore Virginia Line to go through Maryland. Once you cross the Bridge-Tunnel you will only have a short drive to the North Carolina line. This, as oppose to the trip through the Western Shore of Maryland near Washington DC and it's suburbs and many Police forces. Driving from Salisbury MD to the VA line takes less that and hour, but in all cases obey the speed limits as best as possible, don't give anybody a reason to pull you over.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

SteveMiller

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 12:43:07 AM »
And don't voluntarily submit to a search
Steve Miller
DSSA
NRA Life Member
Gun Owners of America

8thFA

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 02:10:17 AM »
I would have the gun and ammo separate and locked in the trunk.  Last time I brought my gun into md, I had it unloaded and locked in the trunk, and the mags in a locked ammo can in the trunk as well.  But like Radnor said do your own research...
US Army veteran
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
NCC

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 11:44:00 AM »
I would have the gun and ammo separate and locked in the trunk.  Last time I brought my gun into md, I had it unloaded and locked in the trunk, and the mags in a locked ammo can in the trunk as well.  But like Radnor said do your own research...

I agree with this.
When we drove down the Delmarva Peninsula last year heading to New Orleans, we locked the gun up until we got to Virginia.
Driving down that route, you spend about 45 minutes in Maryland... during which time you're a felon, if your gun is not stowed according to their laws.
Even if you obey every traffic law and drive perfectly, some moron can crash into your car and the police will show up
Not worth the risk.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 11:49:23 AM »
Not too long ago we were stopped by MD troopers. The excuse was "interdiction program".  They asked if we had any contraband such as drugs, weapons or bulk tobacco products. Then ran our plates and told us the vehicle was reported as stolen. After a lecture on how we need to contact DE DMV he let us go.  When we called DMV they said that the MD troopers are always pulling that crap.

An amazingly beautiful state but poison fruit.  Just like Jersey.
Proud resident of Kent County DE

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 11:58:45 AM »
Radnor:  I read your attachment letter from MD. There appears to be a miscommunication.  The fact is MD considers a magazine to be part of a firearm.  I would unload magazines if traveling through MD.

Does anyone else find it odd that news about Baltimore is so below the radar?  That's where LE needs to focus.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 02:45:51 PM »
A good idea when traveling is to make sure you don't have "gun related" stickers and decals all over your vehicle. No NRA, Glock, GOA, USA Carry, etc. This is an advertisement that you may be carrying guns and enough reason to get you pulled over. I don't worry so much here in De., but when I took a trip to the mid-west, I made sure when I washed my truck, I removed all signage.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 05:03:32 PM »
Here is an email exchange between the AG and me in 2013
AGAIN DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH!!!

Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2013 10:23 AM
    To: OAG; me
    Subject: Transporting firearms to a range in Maryland

Dear Attorney General Gansler;

I am a Delaware resident who often shoots at ranges located in Maryland.  Would you clarify a few things for me as I have NO interest in becoming Maryland's newest felon?

1.    Can I bring into the State an AR-15 and shoot it at a range located in Maryland?

2.    Can I use magazines that hold more than 10 rounds for the AR?

I have a Delaware Concealed  Weapons Permit I realise is not honoured by Maryland.  So before entering into Maryland I unload the firearm and place it in a holster that covers the trigger guard which is then placed in the back of my SUV (as far away from me as possible).

1.    Can I leave my magazines loaded?

2.    My handgun magazines hold more than 10 rounds, are they legal?

If I understand Maryland's code correctly, I can go DIRECTLY to and from a shooting range, FFL, gunsmith, and my residence in Maryland if I had one.  I'm sure reasonable stop would be permitted too (gas / food).

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions.

RADNOR

Mark H Bowen -State Police- <mark.bowen@maryland.gov>
        11/20/13 at 11:39 AM

To

RADNOR@yahoo.com

Message body
Dear Mr. RADNOR,

I have been asked to respond to the questions raised in your recent email to Attorney General Gansler.

1.    Can I bring into the State an AR-15 and shoot it at a range located in Maryland?

Section 4-303(a) of the Criminal Law Article, Annotated Code of Maryland generally prohibits transportation of an assault weapon into Maryland and possession of assault weapons in Maryland.  However, Section 4-303(b)(3) states that, "A person who lawfully possessed, has a purchase order for, or completed an application to purchase an assault long gun or a copycat weapon before October 1, 2013, may: (i)   possess and transport the assault long gun or copycat weapon . . . ."

Accordingly, if you lawfully owned, or had a completed application or purchase order pending for, your AR-15 prior to October 1, 2013, you may bring it into Maryland and shoot it in any location where it is lawful to discharge firearms.

2.    Can I use magazines that hold more than 10 rounds for the AR?

Section 4-305 of the Criminal Law Article, Annotated Code of Maryland, with certain exceptions, prohibits the, "manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 10 rounds of ammunition for a firearm."  The law does not prohibit the possession or transportation of high capacity magazines.

Accordingly, you may lawfully transport into, and possess within, Maryland magazines holding more than 10 rounds.

3.    Can I leave my magazines loaded?

Maryland law requires that firearms transported in a vehicle be unloaded.  There is no requirement that magazines also be unloaded.  Handguns must be transported, unloaded, "in an enclosed case or holster."

4.    My handgun magazines hold more than 10 rounds, are they legal?

The magazine capacity law referred to above applies to all detachable magazines.

With regard to the transportation of handguns in Maryland, under Section 4-203 of the Criminal Law Article, it is generally illegal to wear, carry or transport a handgun on your person or in a motor vehicle.  A number of exceptions exist under the statute that allow, for example, a person to wear, carry or transport a handgun on real estate that the person owns or leases or where the person resides or within the confines of a business establishment that the person owns or leases; to transport a handgun between bona fide residences; between residence and place of sale or repair; and, in connection with a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting and similar functions -- provided that the handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or enclosed holster during transport.  An exception also exists for individuals who have been issued a permit to carry a handgun by the Maryland State Police (Maryland does not recognize handgun carry permits issued by other states).

Mark H. Bowen
Assistant Attorney

« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 05:06:25 PM by Radnor »
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2017, 07:49:12 PM »
I travel to VA across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel a few times a year. I detest the short drive through MD and it is stressful. The main reason is regardless of the laws, any LEO can pull you over, arrest you for having a firearm in the vehicle and let the system take over. It takes just one LEO who doesn't like firearms in the hands of the public to ask you if you have any firearms inside and then you're screwed.

What I do is unload the handgun and the magazine. I have a lock box that the handgun goes in and it gets locked. I also have a separate lock box that has two separate areas inside where I secure ammo in one area and mags in the other. One section is lockable separately from the other side and the lid closes and is locked as well. Both these locked boxes get placed in the back of my SUV on separate sides and then luguage is placed in on top of them. Access is NOT easy and it would take about 10 minutes to route down to the boxes, unlock and remove the handgun, unlock the second box, remove the mags and then unlock the internal section where the ammo is locked away. Yes, it's entirely over kill but it can't be said that I pose any danger to an officer or have quick access to them in the manor I have them stored away.

I always have my young son with me and we travel through MD a couple mph under the limit and make NO stops for any reason until we're through the state.

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2017, 01:14:03 PM »
I have to admit that my sole research was watching a Cops episode filmed in MD.  LEO accused a motorist of having a loaded weapon. When challenged LEO said that the mag is part of the firearm although not inserted.

My interpretation of that is "big fat red flag".

You may be able to win in court but do you really need that hassle?

Just in case anyone is thinking that MD troopers always use good judgment consider this.  Driving across the Bay Bridge, probably 50 or 60 mph, a trooper jumped IN FRONT of my vehicle to stop me. I was hundredths of a second away from manslaughter and loss of freedom. I panicked, swerved and just kept on going. No point dealing with a nut case.

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2017, 07:19:18 PM »
I took a route last week that was supposed to not take us through MD but it was like a 2 second lull when the GPS stated welcome to pa, welcome to md,  welcome to pa.  I will admit my but hole clenched up for that 2 seconds.  Noted that route and will avoid.

We were heading to Lancaster and turned left on Cleveland went past the car dealers made a right at the end and followed that straight up.  Next time we will go up Kirkwood further and go left on 72 this will not take you near the MD border. 
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God