Author Topic: What's your favorite home defense weapon  (Read 11061 times)

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
What's your favorite home defense weapon
« on: March 02, 2017, 06:34:01 PM »
Hi all, I haven't been on here in a while but was wondering what your favorite home defense weapon is? I like the ideal of a shotgun but with kids and poss theft when I'm not home I like to keep my pistol in a lockbox. I have carried a glock 30 for several years but I'm honestly not my favorite gun foot feel or accuracy ( for me anyhow)I just purchased an M&p shield 9mm from Chris and love the way it shoots and the size for carrying. Ideally I'm looking for something with a high capacity in 45 auto ( because I have quite of bit of ammo in storage) but I'm open to all options. Maybe something with a rail so I can install a light and maybe a laser for nighttime suituations . It will be only used as a bedside home gun . So what's your ? Or what would want for my suituation?

PPScarry

• Life Member
  • del ccdw license holder - NRA member
Re: What's your favorite home defense weapon
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 08:47:36 PM »
Px4 is on my nightstand. I don't carry it. I like the 17 plus one. It shoots better now that I have put quite a bit of rounds through it.
"There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. "
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 08:56:03 PM »
Saiga-12, eight-round mag.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

AudiQ

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 10:36:58 PM »
Rottweilers, Remington 870, PPQ in no particular order.
Endeavor to persevere

8thFA

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 11:45:22 PM »
I currently favor my glock 21 with TFO sights.  If it's not on me, it's in my quick vault safe for easy access.
US Army veteran
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
NCC

topper

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 12:16:02 AM »
My Lab is a great alarm dog, and I'm married to a Black woman, so when she is mad, she's my first line of defense. My Glock 26 is my next choice.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms…disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes…

USAF Vietnam Era Veteran
Army National Guard
Civil Air Patrol
NRA Life Time Member
DE CCW
PA CCW

lynch

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 09:25:36 AM »
Mossberg 500 w/ pistol grip and 18.5 in barrel.
Rossi r851 38sp.
DE ccdw
PA  LTCF
Utah CFP
NRA member

NormH3

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 10:00:44 AM »
Grandad's Winchester 1200

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 11:42:19 AM »
FNX 45 (15+1) .  ALL have night sights on them.

If you'd like to see the FNX and see how it fits in your hand let me know.
Or you could see our favorite FFL in Middletown and see if Chris still has
one in stock.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 11:44:44 AM by Radnor »
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 02:12:55 PM »
Previously it was an Remington 870 Wingmaster full of 00 buck. But since my 88 year old father moved in with me (Mom died last year), I lock everything up.

I have a desktop sentry safe with Sig P226 with 18+1 (Mec-gar mag) of +P hollow point ammo. I'm not that worried about Dad at this point, but some relatives could visit him while I'm at work. Also I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback. She's a great guard dog!
New Castle County

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 03:15:42 PM »
Thanks for the ideals , topper I was lmao on the wife but I don't think my wife would approve  ;D. Radnor you read my mind I visited Chris the other day and that was a recommendation of his . By the way Chris is a great guy and  there's not many people like him around anymore . He is my go to guy now when I'm looking to buy something. I strongly recommend checking him out .
 I like the shotgun but it's hard to keep safe with fast access. Some of the guns mentioned I have no experience with so I will take your word for it . I will check out a few more guns and go from there .
My wife accuses me of over thinking things. I tend to look , study and compare until I make a decision but In the meanwhile I'm driving her crazy comparing things.
   The dog also is a good ideal , ours is a little mutt that sleeps more than is awake but still barks when needed .

PK90

• Estrella Ordnance
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 10:40:53 PM »
Glock 50GI with night sights, Glock light, loaded with 9 rounds of 275JHP pleasure.

RetCapt1994

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2017, 11:02:51 PM »
I have two and cannot pick the favorite. My Glock 19 equipped with a Streamlight M6 Tac.Light and Laser with a Glock 33 rd mag loaded with Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P ammo. The other gun is my VEPR12 with a 8 rd. Russian mag loaded with Hornady Crit.Def. OO buck. IMHO this is the way to take care of business if it is necessary. Regards to all on DECCW.
Glock Armorer - Tavor Level One Armorer
It is all about bullet placement                          Carry permits, de ccw, and leosa/hr218  DELAWARE SUCKS----THE WORST STATE

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2017, 01:09:21 AM »
The other gun is my VEPR12 with a 8 rd. Russian mag

Can't go wrong with those Russian mags. Got 6 of them myself.
Did you import them in your suitcase, like I did? They used to be about $40 each over-the-counter in Russia...
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Federal Firearm

• Life Member
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2017, 01:43:41 PM »
fnx 45 15 rounds of liberty 45acp rounds...