Author Topic: private sale abckground checks  (Read 10618 times)

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
Re: private sale abckground checks
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2017, 01:40:16 AM »
I thought everyone has have the check? If I recal correctly there was a law past several years back that requires  private sales to go through an ffl? That was the argument of the gun show loop hole... Your CCWD used to exempt you with the state check but that's gone now anyhow.

del elec

• Life Member
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2017, 02:27:32 AM »
If the buyer in a private sale holds a current DE CCDW, they are exempted from having to go through a FFL and have a background check performed.
[]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
------)_'_\ * (
"----------\ * \
"-----------\_*_\
Life NRA
Shooters Choice
Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club
DE CCDW
PA LTCF
MD Wear & Carry

lynch

• Life Member
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2017, 09:10:41 AM »
The state has to be on the Permanent Brady Chart to be exempt from a NICS check.
Also read this:
Laws in Delaware, Florida, and Louisiana purport to exempt concealed weapons permit holders in those states from the background check requirement. Del. Code distraction. 11, § 1448A(d)(5); Fla. Stat. § 790.065(1)(b); La. Rev. Stat. § 40:1379.3(T)(1). However, ATF does not recognize permit holders in these states as exempt. As a result, dealers in these states must conduct a background check even if the purchaser presents a concealed weapons permit.
http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/citation/quotes/7748
DE ccdw
PA  LTCF
Utah CFP
NRA member

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2017, 07:00:54 PM »
Lynch is correct.
Also in the "old days", we were subjected to both a state and federal check when buying a firearm. Your CCDW exempted you from the state, but not the federal.

I wouldn't say "old days".. Just 5 years ago we still had to pass both federal and state background checks.  :D

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2017, 10:34:44 PM »
Ummmm...I thought private sales without background check was outlawed in the Peoples Republic of DE.
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

Federal Firearm

• Life Member
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2017, 01:53:01 AM »
When I presented my permit the last few times, I was told it matters not in the  PRODE.  Still have to do the check.  Even to Chris.

Bill

Seems this may be a policy of the gun store. Maybe you need to check around for another gun store?

not a gun store policy state and federal law...you might want to check your facts before you offer advice......

Federal Firearm

• Life Member
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2017, 01:54:04 AM »
Ummmm...I thought private sales without background check was outlawed in the Peoples Republic of DE.

conceal carry holders and leo are exempt

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2017, 10:14:56 AM »
Transfer between certain family members also exempt.
Sibling, parents ,children, grandchildren etc.
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

Tonym

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2017, 01:37:47 PM »
How else are the 18-20 year old who get carry permits supposed to buy a gun to carry? Lol

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2017, 01:40:19 PM »
How else are the 18-20 year old who get carry permits supposed to buy a gun to carry? Lol

Technically 18-20yo's can't own a handgun but rather carry mom or dads until they turn 21. They can't purchase or own one but can possess a family members.  ???

Btw.. This makes about as much sense to me as being able to serve your country and give your life for it at 18 but not celebrate an occasion or enjoy a cold beer until you're 21.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 01:43:15 PM by Adrenolin »

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2017, 02:01:44 PM »
They cannot PURCHASE one until 21 years of age.  They can OWN one as a gift as allowed by Delaware law.

§ 1448B Criminal history record checks for sales of firearms — Unlicensed persons.
(a)   No unlicensed person shall sell or transfer any firearm, as defined in § 222 of this title, to any other
unlicensed person without having conducted a criminal history background check through a licensed
firearms dealer in accordance with § 1448A of this title and § 904A of Title 24, as the same may be
amended from time to time, to determine whether the sale or transfer would be in violation of federal or
state law.
(b)   For purposes of this section:
(1)   "Licensed dealer" means any person licensed as a deadly weapons dealer pursuant to Chapter 9 of
Title 24 and 18 U.S.C. § 921 et seq.
(2)   "Transfer" means assigning, pledging, leasing, loaning, giving away, or otherwise disposing of, but
does not include:
a.   The loan of a firearm for any lawful purpose, for a period of 14 days or less, by the owner of said
firearm to a person known personally to him or her;
b.   A temporary transfer for any lawful purpose that occurs while in the continuous presence of the
owner of the firearm, provided that such temporary transfer shall not exceed 24 hours in duration;
c.   The transfer of a firearm for repair, service or modification to a licensed gunsmith or other person
lawfully engaged in such activities as a regular course of trade or business; or
d.   A transfer that occurs by operation of law or because of the death of a person for whom the
prospective transferor is an executor or administrator of an estate or a trustee of a trust created in a will.
(3)   "Unlicensed person" means any person who is not a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer or
licensed dealer.
(c)   The provisions of this section shall not apply to:
(1)   Transactions in which the potential purchaser or transferee is a parent, mother-in-law, father-in-law,
stepparent, legal guardian, grandparent, child, daughter-in-law, son-in-law, stepchild, grandchild,
sibling, sister-in-law, brother-in-law, spouse, or civil union partner of the seller or transferor;
(2)   Any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of
ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898;
(3)   Any replica of any firearm described in paragraph (c)(2) of this section if such replica:
a.   Is not designed or redesigned to use rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition; or
b.   Uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the
United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade;
(4)   Any muzzle-loading firearm designed for hunting or competitive shooting not requiring a criminal
background check pursuant to federal law;
14(5)   Transactions in which the potential purchaser or transferee is a qualified active duty law-
enforcement officer or a qualified retired law-enforcement officer, as such terms are defined in § 1441A
of this title;
(6)   Transactions in which the potential purchaser or transferee holds a current and valid concealed
carry permit issued by the Superior Court of the State of Delaware pursuant to § 1441 of this title.
(7)   Transactions in which the prospective buyer or transferee is a bona fide member or adherent of an
organized church or religious group, the tenets of which prohibit photographic identification; provided,
however, that no unlicensed person shall sell or transfer any firearm to any such person without having
conducted a criminal history background check in accordance with subsection (f) of this section
hereunder to determine whether the sale or transfer would be in violation of federal or state law;
(8)   Transactions involving the sale or transfer of a curio or relic to a licensed collector, as such terms
are defined in 27 C.F.R. 478.11, as the same may be amended from time to time;
(9)   Transactions involving the sale or transfer of a firearm to an authorized representative of the State
or any subdivision thereof as part of an authorized voluntary gun buyback program.
(d)   Notwithstanding anything to the contrary herein, no fee for a criminal history background check
may be charged for the return of a firearm to its owner that has been repaired, serviced or modified by a
licensed gunsmith or other person lawfully engaged in such activities as a regular course of trade or
business.
(e)   Any person who knowingly sells or transfers a firearm in violation of this section shall be guilty of
a class A misdemeanor. Any subsequent offense shall be a class G felony. The Superior Court shall
have exclusive jurisdiction for all offenses under this section.
(f)   The State Bureau of Investigation (the "Bureau") shall facilitate the sale or transfer of any firearm
in which the prospective buyer is a bona fide member or adherent of an organized church or religious
group, the tenets of which prohibit photographic identification, pursuant to the following procedure.
For purposes of this subsection, the terms "prospective buyer" and "prospective seller" shall include
prospective transferors and prospective transferees, respectively.
(1)   The prospective buyer and seller shall jointly appear at the State Bureau of Investigation during
regular hours of business, and shall inform the Bureau of their desire to avail themselves of the
procedure set forth herein. The actual cost of the criminal history background check shall be paid by
either the prospective buyer or prospective seller.
(2)   The prospective buyer shall be required to submit fingerprints and other necessary information in
order to obtain a report of the individual's entire criminal history record pursuant to the Federal Bureau
of Investigation appropriation of Title II of Public Law 92-544 (28 U.S.C. § 534). In addition, the
prospective buyer shall submit to the Bureau a signed affidavit stating that photographic identification
conflicts with the tenets of an organized church or religious group of which the prospective buyer is a
bona fide member.
(3)   In the event that said background check reveals that the prospective buyer is prohibited from
possessing, purchasing or owning a firearm, the Bureau shall so inform both parties of that fact and the
transfer shall not take place.
(4)   The Bureau shall maintain a record of all background checks under this section to the same extent
as is required of licensed dealers pursuant to Chapter 9 of Title 24.
15(5)   The Bureau is hereby authorized to promulgate such reasonable forms and regulations as may be
necessary or desirable to effectuate the provisions of this subsection.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2017, 02:15:52 PM »
Ahh ok thanks for that correction. I thought it fell under a Loan but either hadn't realized, or simply forgot since it doesn't apply to me or my son yet, that it could be gifted to them.

My 6yo has a ways to go still though has become pretty proficient with his Red Rider BB rifle and air soft target practice.  ;D Beating the rules and firearm respect in at an early age. I load up 10 BBs for him at a time, he target shoots the target on a box filled with balled up paper and lined with about 10 layers of cardboard at the rear. He loves it.  ;D