Author Topic: Hidden holsters  (Read 22240 times)

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
Hidden holsters
« on: March 08, 2017, 03:11:47 PM »
I ran across hidden holsters online http://www.hiddenhybridholsters.com and looks like a good product . Does anyone have experience with them? I was looking at the iwb owb all in the same holster . I also like the hybrid holsters with leather backing for comfort.

MarcWinkman

• Life Member
Re: Hidden holsters
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 12:43:01 PM »
I have no experience with them, but as an alternative you may want to also look at the Blackpoint Tactical Leather Wing Holster.  It's shipped as an OWB holster, but when ordering, you can also order a set of polymer IWB clips.  Personally, I have their Mini-Wing dedicated IWB holster for my P226, P229 and PPS and absolutely love it.  Quality is top notch, it's U.S. made, and the pricing is in line with what you have in the original post.  

Here's the Leather Wing:

http://www.blackpointtactical.com/shop/leather-wing/
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 12:44:36 PM by MarcWinkman »

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 02:06:02 PM »
Call me old fashioned, but I don't like these Kydex holsters. They are noisy pulling gun out and putting gun in and a lot of them rattle.  Still prefer all leather holsters. I hear people say they get soft and wear out. I have had my EDC holster for 5-6 years. It is a Pro-Carry Deep Comfort IWB holster from theholsterstore.com in Florida. It is all leather, made in Florida, USA. I see no problems with using it for many years to come.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 10:42:54 PM by SturmRugerSR9 »
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

MarcWinkman

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 02:17:56 PM »
Call me old fashioned, but I don't like these Kydex holsters. They are noisy pulling gun out and putting gun in and a lot of them rattle.  Still prefer all leather holsters. I hear people say they get soft and wear out. I have had my EDC holster for 5-6 years. It is a Pro-Carry Deep Comfort IWB holster from theholsterstore.com in Florida. It is all leather, made in Florida, USA. I see not problems with using it for many years to come.

I like leather for my 1911s, but those all tend to be OWB holsters.  For IWB, I tend to favor Kydex or a Kydex/leather hybrid just because I find it easier to return the gun to the holster as opposed to some leather holsters where I've found the holster opening slightly collapses under my belt if the gun is not in it.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 03:19:48 PM »
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 04:48:48 PM »
Radnor that's my preferred style holster. I never seen that company before. I have a hidden holster ordered now but they look similar.
Old fashion aka sturmruger, I can see where the leather would have advantages . I have had leather squeak but the kydex holsters I have are quiet while holstered. Yes they have a little noise when pulling out or holstering .
Markwinkman, I was contiplating the black point leather wing holster as well as another supertuck ( I have 1 for glock 30) but ruled it out due to no iwb & owb all in 1. The black point looks fine and may try sometime. I'm a sucker for trying to find a perfect holster for a new firearm purchase. I have an all kydex iwb holster that holds the gun fine but it irritates the heck out of my side . I can only wear it about an hour before I have to remove it . That is what took me back to finding another hybrid .

MarcWinkman

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 03:23:39 AM »
Radnor that's my preferred style holster. I never seen that company before. I have a hidden holster ordered now but they look similar.
Old fashion aka sturmruger, I can see where the leather would have advantages . I have had leather squeak but the kydex holsters I have are quiet while holstered. Yes they have a little noise when pulling out or holstering .
Markwinkman, I was contiplating the black point leather wing holster as well as another supertuck ( I have 1 for glock 30) but ruled it out due to no iwb & owb all in 1. The black point looks fine and may try sometime. I'm a sucker for trying to find a perfect holster for a new firearm purchase. I have an all kydex iwb holster that holds the gun fine but it irritates the heck out of my side . I can only wear it about an hour before I have to remove it . That is what took me back to finding another hybrid .

The Blackpoint Leather Wing is actually OWB and IWB, just a matter of ordering a set of IWB (metal or kydex) clips when you place your order.  Our favorite FFL is getting me another pistol in and I may go that avenue with it rather than what's been my standby Mini Wing.

greymas

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 08:56:03 AM »
I haven't heard of this manufacturer but the design is similar to the CrossBreed holsters. I've had 2 IWB Crossbread Supertuck holsters. These are leather/kydex hybrids. Both had a leather "squeak" to them which was very loud and unnatural. Comfortable holsters but the noise was too loud and gave away the fact I was carrying concealed. Sold both on Ebay for close to what I paid. Very popular holsters.

I have a StealthGear IWB holster for my Glock 19. Very comfortable and good concealment. I don't carry my G19 very often.

My daily carry gun is a Sig P229c which I carry in AIWB in a JM Custom Kydex AIWB Wing Claw 2.0. It has a wedge and wing which pushes the handle in closer to my body. For such a wide gun, AIWB conceals very deeply. I typically wear just a T-shirt and have very little printing. AIWB is not as comfortable as IWB or OWB but for me the concealment and quick draw out weights the slight discomfort. I am not inclined to carry something other than a DA in this position. I don't find Kydex to be noisy and haven't noticed a rattle in the models I have. My guns fit very tight and there are screws that allow me to adjust the tension.

The best thing I did for CCW was to purchase a BigFoot Gun Belt. This has made a huge difference in carrying comfort and stability.
These are the holsters I have had experience with. There are many good manufactures, all very similar. Good luck and let us know what you end up with.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 09:14:02 AM by greymas »

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 04:07:56 PM »
I'm not worried about the "squeak".  If someone heard the squeak, they have a bigger issue to deal with.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 07:35:56 PM »
If you find your draw from Kydex holster loud that can easily be corrected by lining the inside of the Kydex with MoleSkin. Easy and takes less then 4-5 minutes to do.
I have been using the MTAC IWB holster for over 3 years now from the time I get up until I go back to bed. Sure there was a bit of a click with a draw and reholstering however I'd never saw there was anything wrong with that. I lined it mostly to reduce the finish wear on the PPQ that resides in it. The finish still looks new.

Cheap and easy solution to any unwanted noise and as a bonus protects the firearms finish.

ChrisCar

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 01:36:02 AM »
I carried the Hidden Hybrid double clip for a few years.  I only ever used it for OWB.  I liked it very much.   Very comfortable.  A bit creaky as the leather would rub on my belt. 

About two months ago I switched to a Stealth Gear model.  The jury is still out on which is better.  The SG is more compact (the HH is considerably wider).  But I find the HH easier to reholster.  That might just be because I was so familiar with it. 
New Castle County
DE CCDW,  PA LTCF,  UT CFP
NRA Benefactor Member
DSSA Member

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 03:57:04 PM »
Thanks to all for the replies. I'm glad to hear from someone that has had a hh and liked it. I have one on order now it should be shipping you soon .
 I looked at the stealth gear website with my phone and I couldn't get a good pic of their holsters ? From what I gather it's an iwb holster with a non absorbing back that is supposed to be comfortable . I didn't see the option of iwb and owb in 1 holster. That was my main reason for the hh order.
 The blackpoint also looks quilaty but I personally have not had any luck with kydex touching my skin   ( I just don't like wearing an extra tee shirt in summer time).
  There's lots of options to pick from . I have always liked my supertuck with my old edc but I like to check out others pest pics also. For what it's worth I have noticed the 2 hook style seems much more secure than the 1 hook style when iwb. I thought the 1 hook kydex iwb would be great but to the size and easy cover up but I can't take the irritation on my skin and I'm always feeling for the clip to be sure it's still hooked on my belt ( it seems to ride up when moving around) .
   All in all the leather backing holsters ( or something that doesn't irritate your skin) works best for me when iwb. I hope the hh on order will fit the bill. I will let you all know how I like after I get to use it.

ChrisCar

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2017, 01:45:05 AM »
I only ever wore the Hidden Hybrid as OWB, and didn't use clips; just fed the belt through the slots.  Given you last post, I hate to say that even with the leather back, I had to wear an undergarment or the butt of the gun itself caused too much irritation.   

The Stealth Gear I'm using now is the Ventcore.  You are correct that it's not both IWB and OWB. They do offer both, but they're separate units.
New Castle County
DE CCDW,  PA LTCF,  UT CFP
NRA Benefactor Member
DSSA Member

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2017, 05:46:17 PM »
I only ever wore the Hidden Hybrid as OWB, and didn't use clips; just fed the belt through the slots.  Given you last post, I hate to say that even with the leather back, I had to wear an undergarment or the butt of the gun itself caused too much irritation.   

The Stealth Gear I'm using now is the Ventcore.  You are correct that it's not both IWB and OWB. They do offer both, but they're separate units.
My supertuck Dosent bother me against the skin. I received the HH today . It seems very well made . I will know more after wearing it a while . I hope I can get away without an undershirt for summertime. Let us know about your ventcore.

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 07:35:19 PM »
Just an update after a few days with my hidden holster . The quality and leather is great . Leather and kydex are both thicker than my crossbreed . Retention is adjustable with 2 screws . If it matters the look is better than crossbreed ( doesn't bother me). I have worn it a few days with no undershirt and have had no issues with discomfort at all. Actually took a walk today for about an hour and no problem with discomfort or skin irrational . It does have a squeak and I have found it's coming from the metal belt clips . I also have a set of polymer clips that I am going to switch out and try those. Over all I like it well so far but it's only been about 5 days . My crossbreed was for a glock 30 and this hh is for an M&p shield . So it's obviously easier to hide and more comfortable than the glock .