Author Topic: Hidden holsters  (Read 21886 times)

MarcWinkman

• Life Member
Re: Hidden holsters
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2017, 11:19:57 AM »
Again proving there is a lot to be said for a all leather holster.

I'm curious about all leather and hybrid holsters. How do they do long term? My main concern is the leather drying and cracking after a few scheeddy summers (this would be an IWB).

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2017, 07:41:02 PM »
Ever heard of saddle soap, my friend.?  Works great. I've been wearing my Pro-Carry Deep Comfort IWB Holster for 5 years now and never had a problem. You can buy direct from makers at www.theholsterstore.com in Florida.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2017, 01:57:00 AM »
I used a supertuck carrying a glock 30 for several years and had no complaints. It still has many years left on it .This year I changed up to a M&p shield for easier concealment and have tried a few holsters but I have found nothing as comfortable as leather yet.

LostM

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2017, 08:16:22 PM »
I used a supertuck carrying a glock 30 for several years and had no complaints. It still has many years left on it .This year I changed up to a M&p shield for easier concealment and have tried a few holsters but I have found nothing as comfortable as leather yet.

I agree I both the super tuck and the mini tuck. Which one I use depends on what I am wearing.
Oh, I also carry the M&P Shield.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2017, 10:50:12 PM »
Might want to consider one of these holsters made for the Shield. Made in Florida USA. Reasonable priced and fast shipping. I deal with these people and never had a problem.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2017, 12:41:00 AM »
Might want to consider one of these holsters made for the Shield. Made in Florida USA. Reasonable priced and fast shipping. I deal with these people and never had a problem.
Thanks, They certainly have plenty of options to choose from.

AudiQ

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2017, 06:33:04 PM »
I sent the revolution back it just wasn't going to work for me. I also ordered their ventcore to try with all the great reviews. They currently have a 25 day backlog so I will have to wait.

Any update?
Endeavor to persevere

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2017, 11:38:41 PM »
I received the ventcore and it is quite comfortable. For some reason I have a little problem reholstering , maybe the small hole for the shield isn't what I'm used to. All in all I like it so far .

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2017, 10:23:14 AM »
After some time using the ventcore here's my thoughts . It's a nice holster that is compact and quite comfortable. When next to shin I still prefer the leather though , the ventcore is a bit scratchy on me. If wearing a thin shirt between you and the holster it would rate quite high for comfort. I do have some difficulty reholstering with the ventcore more so than hidden holster . Over all for me I still would pick a leather backed holster over any I have tried to this point . This is not to diminish the ventcore because it is very nice and I use it often do to it's smaller footprint . It's just the leather on skin is hard to beat for me.

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2017, 12:48:49 PM »
After some time using the ventcore here's my thoughts . It's a nice holster that is compact and quite comfortable. When next to shin I still prefer the leather though , the ventcore is a bit scratchy on me. If wearing a thin shirt between you and the holster it would rate quite high for comfort. I do have some difficulty reholstering with the ventcore more so than hidden holster . Over all for me I still would pick a leather backed holster over any I have tried to this point . This is not to diminish the ventcore because it is very nice and I use it often do to it's smaller footprint . It's just the leather on skin is hard to beat for me.

I did not like the leather on my skin that was the reason for going with the vent core.  I do not have a problem reholstering with my vent core.  I wear mine so the kydex part is right at the belt line or higher.  I have noticed since I have lost a lot of weight that has made a big difference too since there is not extra girth there.   Goes to show that not everything works the same for everyone.  There is a lot of great information here and people willing to share their experiences which helps out a lot.  Very thankful for this forum and the people in it and the wealth of knowledge that is here.
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

coolwrld

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2017, 02:28:34 PM »
Not sure how many have tried both the SG Ventcore and the Revolution but i currently have both

My personal thoughts on both

SG Ventcore
Pros
  • Very comfortable with or without an undergarment between you and the holster (again personal opinion)
  • Easy to draw from
  • Available for a wide range of gun models
  • Possible to easily to re-holster.  However for those such as myself that have some extra girth around the middle the soft backer can allow the sweat guard to push in a little to create a reduced opening at the mouth of the holster.  With some extra finesse and practice this can be overcome
  • Multiple sizes of IWBs to choose from (depending on the gun of course).  I personally have found the mini to be perfect.  For my body shape and size the standard size IWB puts the clips right where one of the belt loops of my jeans are and as such I have an issue getting the gun positioned exactly where I would like on my hip.
  • Easy to conceal at least with the IWB.  I have also acquired an OWB Flex but have yet to actual use it.

Cons
  • Cost
  • Lead time for holster to be made and shipped

SG Revolution
Pros
  • Cost
  • Speed of order fulfillment and delivery
  • Backer is thinner than the Ventcore backer so slight slimmer when worn inside the waistband making it marginally easier to conceal
  • Possible to easily reholster with the same caveat as the Ventcore for those full figure individuals
  • Multiple sizes of IWB models available as with the Ventcore

Cons
  • Limited availability at this time.  I assume the are constantly adding new gun models but right now pretty slim pickings
  • Overall not as comfortable as the Ventcore (in my opinion)
  • Doesn't appear to be as "polished" as the Ventcore

In the end my personal choice is the Ventcore models.
DE - CCDW Permit Holder
PA - N/R CCDW Permit Holder
NRA Life Member
New Castle County

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2017, 10:26:12 PM »
The great thing about Stealth Gear is they actually listen to their customers when they write in as far as what holsters they need.  A few of us wrote in to them saying that we would like to see a S&W shield with the tlr6 and bam 6 months later we all got an email saying they added it to the line up.   So if you have a few buddies that are looking for something have them all email them.  You may just see and email saying that it has been added to the site.

NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

AudiQ

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2017, 12:12:10 AM »
Muleman, I feel what you mean with a new Stealthgear IWB being scratchy. I received a new ventcore today and tried it on immediately. A little scratchy, as you say. I had not remembered my other ventcore being that way, but it occurred to me that I got it in the winter when I wear a tee shirt. So it had a few months break in time before summer wearing it against the skin. I'm sure that in a few weeks the new one will be as compliant as the older one.
Shipping has improved to 20 days
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 06:25:34 PM by AudiQ »
Endeavor to persevere

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2017, 09:51:14 PM »
Muleman, I feel what you mean with a new Stealthgear IWB being scratchy. I received a new ventcore today and tried it on immediately. A little scratchy, as you say. I had not remembered my other ventcore being that way, but it occurred to me that I got it in the winter when I wear a tee shirt. So it had a few months break in time before summer wearing it against the skin. I'm sure that in a few weeks the new one will be as compliant as the older one.
Shipping has improved to 20 days
I hope so , I can deal with it the way it is . In the summertime I just don't want to wear an extra shirt . They are nice holsters .