Author Topic: Holster Retention  (Read 3958 times)

SweetPete

Holster Retention
« on: March 02, 2017, 04:52:34 PM »
For the holsters that are leather with Kydex/polymer attached, do you notice the lessening of retention/retainment when the leather breaks in? My Supertuck seems to be losing its "snap" when holstered. Just curious.

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
Re: Holster Retention
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 07:25:07 PM »
I have used a supertuck for about 5years and it MAY be losing some of its snap . Although I never noticed it until you mentioned it . Maybe such a slow change that I never caught it? I still trust its retention capability .

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 11:46:19 PM »
The leather stretches but the Kydex doesn't. this causes the holster's gun retention to loosen.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

SweetPete

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 02:28:20 AM »
Obviously, but has anyone felt the need to replace this type of holster due to the integrity of the leather's retention after extended wear? I've had my Supertuck for years and love it (!!!), but am considering a double sided Kydex/poly on leather. Any recommendations? Again, just curious. I'm in search of a firm grip retention IWB holster, 0-1 lvl retention for compact Glock and M&P Shield.

BTW, I thought this article could be informative to the new guys as well as the experienced.
http://gundigest.com/concealed-carry/understanding-holster-retention

Thanks for all input everyone!

Etrier

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 01:54:11 PM »
Holsters that have a Kydex front panel and a leather rear panel can be adjusted to increase the retention if you are not satisfied with it's current level of retention with the application a little heat and pressure.  I would not suggest that the average Joe try to modify the retention since a little too much heat can potentially flatten the molded Kydex before you know it is going to happen or too much of a change within the trigger guard could cause the holster to engage (depress) the trigger when the firearm is holstered.  PM me if anyone would like assistance with their retention issues.
Kydex Holster Maker

RetCapt1994

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 03:25:50 PM »
You are correct on this Etrier. I believe that Crossbreed has a vid on their website doing a demo on this. I think they also describe this procedure in a document that comes with there product. Regards to all and stay safe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPLLddM6Z5o  Here is the vid produced by Crossbreed. Hope this is useful to everyone. 
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 11:25:35 PM by RetCapt1994 »
Glock Armorer - Tavor Level One Armorer
It is all about bullet placement                          Carry permits, de ccw, and leosa/hr218  DELAWARE SUCKS----THE WORST STATE

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 05:40:50 AM »
My Comp-Tac MTAC leather backed Kydex front shell has been worn for pretty close to 3 years, almost, daily now. When purchased I put a drop of blue LocTite on the bench and used a modeling brush to put a very thin layer on each of the 4 fine thread screws. I set my preferred retention at this time and marked the screwhead position to the Kydex. In 3 years the screws haven't moved. The double layered leather backing has formed slightly but the set retention remains the same to this day.

Something to remember. Leather backed with Kydex shells do NOT require a super tight retention by themselves since they are designed to also use the belts retention as well. For example.. If I hold my MTAC with my Classic Walther PPQ (cleared and unloaded) upside down the PPQ will NOT fall out. If I give it a light shake it still doesn't fall out either. However, if I give it a slightly stronger shake (think shaking a ketchup bottle a bit due to the running separated liquid on top) the PPQ WILL in fact drop out. Once it is secured in my pants with the belt I can literally do flips on the trampoline and cartwheels on the lawn and it'll NOT fall out.

When I insert my PPQ into the MTAC there is just the slightest click of the detent in the Kydex slipping over the guard. I feel it more then hear it.

MarcWinkman

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 01:32:42 PM »
This isn't uncommon.  I'd say that these types of holsters don't need to be replaced with a little leather stretch unless the leather is completely cracked and worn.  If you're looking for a great comfortable IWB holster option, I can't recommend the Blackpoint Tactical Mini Wing highly enough.  I have one each for my Sig P226, P229, and Walther PPS.  

Here's my PPS in the Mini Wing

« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 01:37:34 PM by MarcWinkman »