Author Topic: Re-thinking Constitutional Carry  (Read 6836 times)

Obleo

• Life Member
Proud resident of Kent County DE

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
Re: Re-thinking Constitutional Carry
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 02:59:20 PM »
This is the same reason Delaware does not recognize other states like Virginia any longer. No real training, no real qualifying.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

MarcWinkman

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 04:00:14 PM »
Maybe it's just the lawyer pet of my brain working, but from the way that the advertising is on that site, I can foresee a lot of folks getting themselves jammed up pretty badly.

8thFA

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 06:11:23 PM »
So if they pass national reciprocity, which I hope happens soon, each state still dictates requirements correct?  But a state with little or no requirements could issue a permit to someone who could then legally carry nationwide?

I think of all the divots in the walls, ceiling, and floors at the ranges I've been too and shudder at the thought... 
US Army veteran
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
NCC

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 04:03:35 AM »
So if they pass national reciprocity, which I hope happens soon, each state still dictates requirements correct?

Yes,  in both HR.38 and S.446, CC is constrained by State laws
But a state with little or no requirements could issue a permit to someone who could then legally carry nationwide?...
Yes, plus S.446 allows residents of Constitutional Carry states to carry nationwide.
Double shudder!
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 06:16:22 AM »
There's bad apples in every group . I'm waiting for the opposing side to compile horror stories of cc folks with a bad  story and use it for their argument . I certainly believe in the 2nd but somehow have to have a filter to try to keep crazy out .I believe De does a fair job with requirements to keep some control.
 I guess there's always the argument that you can OC without all the checks so what's the difference ...

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 12:28:15 PM »
There's bad apples in every group . I'm waiting for the opposing side to compile horror stories of cc folks with a bad  story and use it for their argument . I certainly believe in the 2nd but somehow have to have a filter to try to keep crazy out .I believe De does a fair job with requirements to keep some control.
 I guess there's always the argument that you can OC without all the checks so what's the difference ...

At least with OC: When the Dog the Bounty Hunter wannabe strolls through Walmart I can create plenty of distance.

NormH3

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 05:17:36 PM »

At least with OC: When the Dog the Bounty Hunter wannabe strolls through Walmart I can create plenty of distance.

Unfortunately you are painting the OC crowd with a pretty wide brush.

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 01:44:52 AM »
Let's not buy into the anti scare tactics.

I believe in training. I have been shooting for 45 years and yet I learned a lot when going for my Delaware carry license

That being said so called Constitutional Carry should be our goal.
To worry about all the things that might happen with untrained folks carrying simply has not happened.

Take example of Vermont. Never required any license at all and yet you will be hard pressed to find a safer place. I have traveled there. Never saw shot up ceilings.  Never saw a gunfight in a parking lot.

Now we have 12 or 13 states that do not require a license for concealed carry.  None of the predictions of Wild West or OkK corral have come to pass.

There are other states that have licensure in place but no training. Pennsylvania is right next door.  Have you seen massive problems?

Of course there will be issues. There are people who have no business carrying a gun.  Let's just make everyone responsible for their own actions.

The right to defend ones self must  not be infringed

DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

MarcWinkman

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 01:15:49 PM »
I'm all for shall issue.  Again, however, and this may be the lawyer in me, I think at a minimum some education on where folks can and cannot lawfully carry and what the state specific laws relating to when a weapon may be drawn would be immensely helpful, particularly in a State like ours which is a duty to retreat state. 

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 10:00:04 PM »
Hi NormH3!  Good to hear your take. Problem is I specifically identified a character type.  Hardly a wide brush.

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 10:07:22 PM »
Marc,

Since you don't know me yet. Let me confess up front that I believe heavily on levity.  So I've been wanting to ask: Any relation to Sol Goodman?

On a less serious note:  Please consider joining the other members here when we post a dinner call. Good place to pass around business cards and get to know the ladies and gentlemen from the rif-raf (of which I identify).

topper

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2017, 02:26:06 PM »

On a less serious note:  Please consider joining the other members here when we post a dinner call. Good place to pass around business cards and get to know the ladies and gentlemen from the rif-raf (of which I identify).

Speaking of ref-raf, is there free food involved somewhere that I have missed?
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms…disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes…

USAF Vietnam Era Veteran
Army National Guard
Civil Air Patrol
NRA Life Time Member
DE CCW
PA CCW

MarcWinkman

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2017, 03:02:19 PM »
Marc,

Since you don't know me yet. Let me confess up front that I believe heavily on levity.  So I've been wanting to ask: Any relation to Sol Goodman?

No relation to good ol' Slippin Jimmy McGill (a/k/a Saul Goodman).  As for part two, I'd love to meet some of the ladies and men from the group in person.  As relates to my thinking that a day of training/education to help folks navigate where they can/can't carry and when they can/can't use deadly force, it comes from my previous experience at both the Delaware DOJ and in private practice and hearing the gross misconceptions that folks have about the right of self defense.  And I'll fully admit, it's a highly convoluted batch of statutes that we have.

topper

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2017, 03:17:10 PM »

As for part two, I'd love to meet some of the ladies and men from the group in person.  As relates to my thinking that a day of training/education to help folks navigate where they can/can't carry and when they can/can't use deadly force, it comes from my previous experience at both the Delaware DOJ and in private practice and hearing the gross misconceptions that folks have about the right of self defense.  And I'll fully admit, it's a highly convoluted batch of statutes that we have.
[/quote]

I'd definitely be interested in this. I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I understand Ohio has a CCW handbook. Something like that would be invaluable, but for now a CCW education get-together would be fantastic. I'd also like to meet some of the characters from this forum.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms…disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes…

USAF Vietnam Era Veteran
Army National Guard
Civil Air Patrol
NRA Life Time Member
DE CCW
PA CCW