Author Topic: On body or off body carry while in a vehicle what say you.  (Read 4202 times)

coolwrld

On body or off body carry while in a vehicle what say you.
« on: March 24, 2017, 02:36:54 PM »
I currently carry on body IWB at 3:30 while driving (in the passenger seat not so much a problem) and it can be somewhat uncomfortable with the gun pressing into the center console and being forced into hip.  I know I could choose another method of carry such as a shoulder rig but as of now IWB or OWB at 3:30 is where I'm at.  I'm sure if I was forced to draw while in the car this would also present another set of challenges.

I like the potential for off body while in the vehicle but in looking at different holsters and possible mounting locations this seems to present a whole different potential set of challenges.  In particular it seems that mounting under the dashboard near steering wheel, on the side of center console, or side of driver's seat (right hand cross draw) all present potential visibility issues during traffic stops and I wonder how jacked up a LEO would be if seeing it upon reaching the driver's side door before you even have a chance to inform.  I'm assuming you would probably be removed from the vehicle most likely at gun point and secured before anything else occurred seems like a huge hassle for a traffic stop and maybe I'm wrong regarding what the reaction would be as long as the LEO can see your hands and you don't reach for anything (even license, registration etc...) without informing the officer.

My other big concern is re-holstering on body when leaving the vehicle.  Do you do it while still seated, do you do it after exiting the vehicle but trying to shield the activity from the general public if in a public space, etc...

Being new to concealed carry I'm looking to get others opinions as it relates to their preferred method of carry while in a vehicle regarding on body or off body and whether or not that method has presented any challenges for example law enforcement encounters etc...

For individuals that do carry on body while in the vehicle if you use a shoulder rig what specific model do you use.  I have looked at a lot and am leaning towards the Monarch Rig from Sam Andrews but before I drop that kind of money I'm interested to hear from individuals already using shoulder rigs what their experience has been.  I mean I could see in the winter concealing under a coat would be pretty straight forward.  Of course if you take the coat off that is problematic.  But in the summer under a t-shirt or button down shirt I would think the shoulder rig would be harder to conceal or maybe it would just be for me being a "big-boned" individual.
DE - CCDW Permit Holder
PA - N/R CCDW Permit Holder
NRA Life Member
New Castle County

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
Re: On body or off body carry while in a vehicle what say you.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 02:47:11 PM »
While in my truck or car I carry on-body. Use a Gun Vault in console if I have to leave my gun in vehicle. When re holstering I do it standing near open door of my vehicle. After all I do have a permit and am legal to have a gun.

You might want to look into this shoulder holster rig:
https://www.theholsterstore.net/pro-carry-leather-shoulder-holster-p/procarryshoulder.htm
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 02:50:23 PM by SturmRugerSR9 »
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 03:03:21 PM »
While in the car IWB about the same position as you.  No issues, maybe I'm use to it.
If practicing your draw EMPTY gun.  I find if I lean slightly forward I can draw w/o issues
in my car.

When practicing, I'd keep muzzle about 1 inch off of your chest and drag right thumb across nipple line.
For me keeps the muzzle out of the steering wheel.  Left arm should be out of the way.

Shoulder rig, you'd most likely be sweeping your left arm.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

MarcWinkman

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 05:52:50 PM »
In my car (and there are days where I spend a lot of time there), I carry on body at about 4:00.  I will admit, however, that it can get a little uncomfortable on long drives because of my car's high side bolsters on the seats. 

NormH3

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 07:29:29 PM »
Is there any reason why a nylon holster mounted on the side of the center console (if you have one of course) could be used?...especially on longer drives

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 09:14:54 PM »
I find if I lean slightly forward I can draw w/o issues
in my car.

I agree as I do a lot of long driving 2 hours plus and I have no issues.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

AudiQ

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 12:13:12 AM »
I find if I lean slightly forward I can draw w/o issues
in my car.

I agree as I do a lot of long driving 2 hours plus and I have no issues.

Agree also. I just completed two 7 hr drives to NC Sunday and today with my PPS in a Stealthgear IWB at 4 o'clock with a 45 minute break in the trunk for them while in MD. No issues at all. Back of the holster was against my skin the whole time I was carrying. My car seats are moderately bolstered.
Endeavor to persevere

LostM

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 01:03:34 AM »
why be uncomfortable if you dont have to?  long drive/over an hour.  mount a holster somewhere. Not only are you comfortable, but you can actually draw it safely if need be.

parked, open door, get out, reholster, go about your day

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 12:12:27 PM »
why be uncomfortable if you dont have to?  long drive/over an hour. 

Sounds more like an equipment issue.  I've driven to Pitt many times carrying.  No issues.
Holster?  Or holster placement.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

rikwick

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 11:50:01 AM »
My gun is off body and in a holster mounted by my right knee area.  I got pulled over for not coming to a complete stop in a neighborhood once when it was IWB and found it difficult to get my wallet out all the while the cop was on the passenger side of the window.  Really felt uncomfortable he might think I was reaching for it had he seen it.  I didn't tell him I have it but I do hand them my permit with my license.   

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 02:51:18 PM »
I carry my wallet in my left rear pocket and my IWB   on my right side at 4:00 O'clock. I have always carried my wallet in my left rear pocket for the last 65 years.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun