Author Topic: Pepper Spray and CCDW ...  (Read 3656 times)

Wire Paladin

Pepper Spray and CCDW ...
« on: April 09, 2017, 01:20:26 PM »
Greetings... I've been carrying pepper spray for a long, long time. I've only recently obtained my CCW permit here in Delaware and carry all of the time along with a new pepper spray contraption that looks just like a water pistol. Not every tight situation calls for the drawing of a firearm so I faithfully have a pepper spray ' gun ' in my pocket.

In my neighborhood is this monster Doberman which gets loose from time to time... spotted him from a 100 yards while walking my dog late one afternoon. We went the other way. My dog is a hunting dog breed and is friendly towards all people but he wanted to fight the Doberman... not a good thing at all... he's not young and has hip problems.

Anyway, one day at another close encounter he and I are strolling along when some family paying a visit to a distant neighbor opens their car door and their medium size mutt comes charging right to us with an aggressive countenance. Wish I had pepper spray then. The situation defused when I made aggressive moves towards the mutt. The moral of these stories is drawing my firearm is the very last resort in my world.

I do like to set up in my mind worst case scenarios. For example, I've been approached by derelicts a local parks asking for a cigarette and or pocket change when walking my pussy cat dog. Yeah, okay... like I'm going to put a hand in my pocket and get jumped at that moment ! So, at least with pepper spray I can ward these individuals off without
having to draw deadly force.

If such people keep coming at me after ordering them to keep back I believe it's better, if the situation allows, to defuse the situation without a death or serious injury from the use of a firearm. Yes, I'd back up if possible... but I'm from the big city of New York and know better than to turn my back on an approaching derelict who refuses to stop.

After viewing a million miles of youtub videos about Concealed Carry virtually no one suggests carrying pepper spray with a firearm permit. Mine is in my coat pocket with my hand on it almost at all times. Harsh language doesn't work !

Well, that's my 2 cents worth.

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
Re: Pepper Spray and CCDW ...
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 02:20:36 PM »
There is no "firearm permit" in Delaware.  A license to carry a concealed deadly weapon in Delaware allows the carrying CONCEALED of any legal deadly weapon.  Gun, knife etc.  

Pepper spray is not a "deadly weapon".

Delaware also bans concealed "dangerous instruments".  Pepper spray is specificly allowed to be concealed without violating that law.

Any of these items can be carried openly without a license. 
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 05:14:53 PM by Clarence »
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

greymas

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 02:20:46 AM »
I keep pepper spray on hand but have not found a reasonably priced pepper spray in a shape that fits well into the pocket. I have been carrying a small can about the size of a small pill bottle but the round shape prints and is uncomfortable in the pocket. I think it's a great idea for the reasons you bring up. It sure is a lot easier to have the conversation with the neighbor about why you pepper sprayed his aggressive dog, than having the conversation with the neighbor and most likely police, why you shot it.
What is the brand you use and how often do you replace it?

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 12:00:28 PM »
http://delcode.delaware.gov/title16/c030f/sc04/index.shtml

§ 3051F Injuring or killing dogs for certain acts.

(a) Any police officer, animal welfare officer who finds a dog running at large and deems such dog to be an immediate threat to the public health and welfare may kill such dog.

(b) Any person may injure or kill a dog in self-defense or to protect livestock, poultry, or another human being at the time such dog is attacking such livestock, poultry, or human being.

(c) Any person may injure or kill a dog at the time such dog is wounding another dog if the dog being wounded is on the property of its owner or under the immediate control of its owner and being wounded by a dog that is running at large.

(d) Any person who injures or kills any dog in accordance with this section shall not be held criminally or civilly liable therefor.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 03:29:26 PM »
There is no "firearm permit" in Delaware.  A license to carry a concealed deadly weapon in Delaware allows the carrying CONCEALED of any legal deadly weapon.  Gun, knife etc.  

Pepper spray is not a "deadly weapon".

Delaware also bans concealed "dangerous instruments".  Pepper spray is specificly allowed to be concealed without violating that law.

Any of these items can be carried openly without a license. 

DECCW does not allow the carrying of a machine gun (fully automatic) or a switchblade knife.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 04:45:41 PM »
http://delcode.delaware.gov/title16/c030f/sc04/index.shtml

§ 3051F Injuring or killing dogs for certain acts.

(a) Any police officer, animal welfare officer who finds a dog running at large and deems such dog to be an immediate threat to the public health and welfare may kill such dog.

(b) Any person may injure or kill a dog in self-defense or to protect livestock, poultry, or another human being at the time such dog is attacking such livestock, poultry, or human being.

(c) Any person may injure or kill a dog at the time such dog is wounding another dog if the dog being wounded is on the property of its owner or under the immediate control of its owner and being wounded by a dog that is running at large.

(d) Any person who injures or kills any dog in accordance with this section shall not be held criminally or civilly liable therefor.
@Radnor, thanks for bringing this to our attention.  If you have any other gems, please post.
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.