Author Topic: Police Do Not Have a Constitutional Duty to Protect Someone  (Read 3242 times)

topper

Police Do Not Have a Constitutional Duty to Protect Someone
« on: April 15, 2017, 01:48:15 AM »
Police Do Not Have a Constitutional Duty to Protect Someone.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/politics/justices-rule-police-do-not-have-a-constitutional-duty-to-protect.html

This may not be news to some, and I appologize if this has been discussed before, but I was pretty surprised.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms…disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes…

USAF Vietnam Era Veteran
Army National Guard
Civil Air Patrol
NRA Life Time Member
DE CCW
PA CCW

hap_hazzard

Re: Police Do Not Have a Constitutional Duty to Protect Someone
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 12:54:43 PM »
Yup. This is great info to put out there when an anti  makes the "argument " that you should just call a cop!  I love the look on their face. It's pretty much a drop mike and walk away moment.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 02:42:47 PM »
So that means the "Protect and Serve" logo on their police cars is just a PR thing?  Kind of like false advertising?
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 06:45:04 PM »
Look up Warren VS DC and kindly let me know what you think.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

8thFA

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 09:11:18 PM »
Sounds like this decision was meant to protect the police from lawsuits primarily, protecting inept policemen from any consequences for their actions.

US Army veteran
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
NCC

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 02:30:05 AM »
I am not surprised at this.  The constitution does not grant any police powers.  This is a government "service".
Just as the constitution does not require that the fire department put out your house fire or the sanitation department keeps your sewer from backing up.  

The constitution does mandate that the Federal Government defends our nation and guarantees a "republican" form of governmemt in our states.
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 04:10:41 AM »
So that means the "Protect and Serve" logo on their police cars is just a PR thing?  Kind of like false advertising?
Most of the organizations have dropped that "protect and serve" phrase, and adopted other neat-o and equally useless slogans.
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

Wire Paladin

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 11:50:57 AM »
first off... the police can't be everywhere. in my town there's 8 cops on duty during the day and they all go home at 5 o'clock. after that, i have to call the State Police who are some 15 miles away at headquarters. the bottom line to me is... i'm responsible for my own life to protect it and that f my loved ones.

visit youtube and type in Sarah McKinley. the young and very recent widow was on the phone with 911 for 20 minutes and the cops still didn't show up ! the woman had 2 thugs breaking down her front door, one with a hunting knife. she had a 3 month old baby on board and her husband recently died.

while still on the 911 phone, the scum of a 1k bags finally bashed down her front door of which she had a small one seater couch pushed up against. she introduced the knife carrying son of satan to her husbands 12 gauge and was applauded nation wide for her action. doa on the living room floor. the 2nd thug fled but surrendered days later... got charged with first degree murder.

what's a person to do to quell a crisis situation ? use harsh language ? turn your back on a thug and try and flee to a dead end ?