Author Topic: How Old?  (Read 8316 times)

trevor

How Old?
« on: October 24, 2009, 09:41:35 PM »
What would you consider the minimum allowable age for a child who is very interested in a .22 rifle to be allowed to fire one? Assuming the parent actively manages the weapon, and ensures the proper safety.  Are there relevant laws that set a minum age?

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
Re: How Old?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 03:24:01 PM »
Assuming the parent actively manages the weapon, and ensures the proper safety.

FIREARM!!

I think the only LAW is under 16 MUST have adult supervision.  I supervise cub scouts (BB guns - 1st to 5th grade) and .22(s) for the older Boy Scouts. The BB guns for the wee ones are BSA rules.  If it were my son, I would have NO problem introducing a .22 there.  But, I would be his 2nd skin with supervision.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 03:25:34 PM by radnor »
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

trevor

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 03:20:42 PM »
oops. Firearm it is. :-[

deviant.ollam

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 04:04:11 PM »
oops. Firearm it is. :-[
heh, yep... i used to be a little too loose with those terms, myself.  i appreciated my friends' comments of correction, too.

i got my first BB gun when i was 8, and my dad and i brought it to the shooting range where he had gone by himself up until that time.  i believe when i was 10 or 11 maybe he started introducing his .22 and eventually his .38 and .380 into the day's affairs.  it was still mostly my air gun, however, which i was more than happy with until about age 12.  (we could also easily set up the air gun in the basement with a self-made BB trap)

we still wen shooting at times as i grew up, but it actually wasn't until i was over 18 that i started trying out all sorts of other firearms at the range or with friends.  the first time he saw me handle a .45 he was pretty amazed... he had recalled it being quite a lot of gun back when he was in the service.  it was a pleasant surprise when he tried my 1911 out and stated, "man, i don't know why i remembered it as quite so unmanageable... i guess everything puts you a little on edge when you're just out of college on a tour of duty halfway around the world."

heh, now he's totally comfortable with .45 cal and higher.  i wonder if he'll make it out to Ft. Dix with me anytime and try out my M1A... and what sort of memories that might bring back, too... since that (or an M-14, rather) would have been his issue rifle when on post.

the others in this thread have said it best, really... how old is the right age for what firearm?  it mostly depends on the boy or girl in question.  you know your kids better than we do, and the real answer is tied to how responsible and comfortable they are.  while it's totally fine to get a group comparison in order to validate that you're not starting them "too young" one never need focus on others' kids and say "@@@@... why doesn't little Timmy like handling the 454 Casull... they tell me that Sarah down the block was taking down black bears with a handgun at his age and she had no problem."  ;)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 04:06:10 PM by deviant.ollam »

trevor

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 11:06:53 PM »
Thanks for your observations. Sounds like you and your Dad have a nice connection. My Dad died a couple years back, but we never shared that interest.

It's funny - I had my daughter at the range yesterday - she's 10- for an orientation trip. She doesn't know it, but there's a Marlin 795 coming her way this Christmas. (I also just took her to see 'A Christmas Story'...looking forward to playing the role of the Dad.) ;D

While we were there, there was a four year old working a Rossi with his Dad. My daughter said "How come I didn't get to come here when I was four!!?" So, she has the interest. I think she'll do well.

As an aside, I'm an IT auditor...and am enjoying your 'fly with a friend' video as I type this. Welcome to DE. I moved here 15 years ago from NYC...and never looked back.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 12:39:53 PM »
"You'll shoot your eye out!" 

I think it's all dependent on the child.  If they can handle the responsibility of being at the range (which I might add I'd never take my FOUR year old there), then I think it's all good.

Most of the kids I know (and no.. I will never have any of my own -- THANK GOD!) would lose the privledge of going to the range within 20 minutes of the car ride home. Yeah, send me more bulldogs.. just no kids! :)

PS, I do think it's great your daughter is interested. 

Moosie aka Rebecca
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 01:19:28 PM »
Yep saw them both going into the range.  She will be fine.  I realize she is just starting out but, whenever you are ready to introduce her to a hand gun, I have a 22A.  Will gladly meet you there and let her shoot it.  I think you have my phone number.
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2009, 02:05:31 PM »
She doesn't know it, but there's a Marlin 795 coming her way this Christmas.

WELL????

I know where you will be tomorrow morning.   :)

trevor

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 08:39:27 AM »
The day after Christmas (Radnor was right, of course!) was cold and rainy...but that didn't matter to a 10 year old with their first firearm. During the drive to River Road, A discussion about muzzle control, yellow lines, and cold ranges was shared. We paid for our time, then went over to the rifle range.

One cartridge was loaded into the magazine. 'Pfft' (well, it was only a '22) and there was a hole in the cardboard over the target!  Another, then two, were loaded. She quickly got the hang of loading the magazine, inserting it into the rifle, releasing the bolt, shouldering the firearm, aim, safety off, finger on trigger, steadying the aim, fire!

Initial hesitancy quickly gave way to capability and surety.

The black shoot n c taget gradually became peppered with yellow splats. And 30 rounds later, a young lady had taken another step toward a more confident and safer life.

It was still grey and rainy, but the day now seemed bright --lit up by the sunbeam of a smile.  Was it the 10 year old's smile of achievement, or her dad's smile of pride?     :)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 08:42:33 AM by trevor »

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 12:20:07 PM »
Trevor,

Congrats, buddy.  Sounds like your daughter is on her way to responsible firearm ownership and use!  Hope she continues to enjoy it.

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 02:39:31 PM »
After a little shooting, next thing to teach her is how to CLEAN her firearm.

I do not know about the rest of you, but when I'm done the days shooting
I clean them.  Will last her a LIFETIME of trouble FREE operation.

And I very happy she (BOTH OF YOU) had a great time.

trevor

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 12:03:52 AM »
I'm one of the weird ones that actually enjoys cleaning my wea... um my firearms. ;)

We spent about 45 minutes yesterday working on it. I'm not sure she enjoyed the cleaning, but it's the 'cost of admission'

I assured her it will go faster.  :)

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 05:11:14 PM »
OK, I'll revive this.....

Well, when is the next trip Trevor?  Could always go to DSPC tonight (Friday).
The hens, rams, pigs, and chicks will go fallin.  40 knock down targets for $2.
Bring your own ammo, or you can get it there.