Author Topic: One is the chamber or not ???  (Read 8298 times)

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
Re: One is the chamber or not ???
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2017, 04:01:23 AM »
I always have a round in chamber. I switched to an appendix carry holster with a P229 DA/SA. The DA on the first round gives me piece of mind with the loaded gun pointing at the vitals. My mags for the P229 holds 15, but due to tight spring I've found that 15+1 often causes a failure to cycle fully so I carry 14 in the mag 1 in the chamber.

I like my G19 but choose to carry IWB at about 3 o'clock position when I carry it. Like others have mentioned an extra mag is for malfunction. I haven't found a mag holder that I feel conceals a double stack mag good enough yet, but still looking.
AIWB would cause me to reconsider Condition 1. 
For carrying a spare G19 mag I have found two solutions: an Uncle Mike's mag pouch, and 5.11 Tactical pants/11" shorts.
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

MarcWinkman

• Life Member
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2017, 11:16:46 AM »
I haven't found a mag holder that I feel conceals a double stack mag good enough yet, but still looking.

Here's another shameless plug for the Blackpoint Tactical Modular Accessory Pouch.  Can get them configured for one all the way up to six pouches for various purposes.  I have a double for my 2 P229 mags. 

coolwrld

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2017, 08:15:04 PM »
I always have a round in chamber. I switched to an appendix carry holster with a P229 DA/SA. The DA on the first round gives me piece of mind with the loaded gun pointing at the vitals. My mags for the P229 holds 15, but due to tight spring I've found that 15+1 often causes a failure to cycle fully so I carry 14 in the mag 1 in the chamber.

I like my G19 but choose to carry IWB at about 3 o'clock position when I carry it. Like others have mentioned an extra mag is for malfunction. I haven't found a mag holder that I feel conceals a double stack mag good enough yet, but still looking.

Slightly off topic

Greymas,

I too have very tight springs in my P229 Legion mags.  If I wasn't using a Uplula speed loader I don't think I would be able to get that 15th round in at all.  With that being said when I do chamber a round and re-load the mag back up to 15 I have not had any failures (well as of yet). This has been done using both Herters 115gr FMJ and Hornady Critical Defense FTX 115 gr.
DE - CCDW Permit Holder
PA - N/R CCDW Permit Holder
NRA Life Member
New Castle County

zajaczek83

• You'r a Crusader as well?
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2017, 03:55:12 PM »
Always one in a chamber for semi-auto guys/ladies.
Unless it's a six-shooter(hammer), always one in chamber.
I guarantee, one will never dispense a round with proper trigger training.
As a OIF Vet, no trigger touch til target was measured and acquired.
Does anyone here thinks I'm wrong?
Stay safe, stay aware and defend your freedom.
NRA MEMBER
DE CCW
ARMY Veteran - 101st Airborne A Comp - 21B

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2017, 05:16:10 PM »
Excellent answers and comments.  I don't give myself that much credit where I can compete with a fast draw and make split second decisions. I owe myself the time, whether I have it or not, to think first.  I hope to rely on muscle memory to chamber a round while I'm checking my options.

I may get waked in the process of thinking but that won't be hard to live with.  Waking someone else will certainly be hard to live with. Especially if not defensible.

Someone said: "You have to take your time in a hurry".
Proud resident of Kent County DE

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2017, 09:50:15 PM »
When I started carrying (glock 30) I did not keep 1 in the chamber. Now  I currently carry a s&w shield with with 1 in the chamber . To me the difference is the glock had no external safety and the shield does . I know theirs an argument for all sides but for me it comes down to what your comfortable with . I'm only comfortable with 1 in the chamber with a safety . There's plenty that don't want to remember to click the safety off ( including police)  and I understand . Hopefully I never have to remember ..

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2017, 11:52:54 AM »
To me the difference is the glock had no external safety and the shield does .

Definition of a safety - a mechanical device which CAN fail.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

NormH3

• Life Member
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2017, 11:03:09 PM »

I think that's the same definition for a magazine.

MarcWinkman

• Life Member
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2017, 02:18:23 PM »

I think that's the same definition for a magazine.

And a gun for that matter. 

topper

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2017, 01:29:14 AM »
Not having one in the chamber of an auto would be like having a revolver and not having a round in the cylinder before it indexes.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms…disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes…

USAF Vietnam Era Veteran
Army National Guard
Civil Air Patrol
NRA Life Time Member
DE CCW
PA CCW