Delaware Concealed Carry Forum
June 26, 2017, 11:59:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I Had a Brain Lapse This Morning  (Read 718 times)
MarcWinkman

« on: June 01, 2017, 06:34:58 AM »

Well gang, I had my first CC brain lapse today.  I was in a rush to get out the door to get to an 8:00 meeting at the State building in Wilmington, and as I do every morning, I grabbed my P229 out of the safe, loaded a mag into it and chambered a round and slid it into my holster.  Well, I noticed that when I got to the State building garage and was locking the gun in the car, I had neglected to decock the pistol before holstering.  So let this be a PSA, never throw your gun in your holster while trying to rush out the door.  At least I don't have any extra holes in me or my car. 
PPScarry
Life Member

del ccdw license holder - NRA member

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 08:07:39 AM »

That story gave me a pee shiver.

"There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. "
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer
Cbmarine
Life Member

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 11:15:43 AM »

As one of the group who doesn't have a decocking pistol, I need a little education.
Given that a CC trigger should be at least 4.5-5.5 lbs, the holster should cover the trigger, and one should keep one's booger hook off the bang switch until one is on-target, what am I missing aside from a redundant (although comforting) safety?

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Will Rogers
New Castle County
MarcWinkman

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 11:37:41 AM »

As one of the group who doesn't have a decocking pistol, I need a little education.
Given that a CC trigger should be at least 4.5-5.5 lbs, the holster should cover the trigger, and one should keep one's booger hook off the bang switch until one is on-target, what am I missing aside from a redundant (although comforting) safety?

Not really an issue.  Just pointing out something goofy that I did while rushing when running late.  For what it's worth, the trigger on my P229 breaks at right around 4.5 lbs in SA with a very short take up and almost immediate reset and I really don't like carrying this gun in anything but DA which is a long, smooth 10 lb break or thereabout.  My HK P30L and P30SK on the other hand are the LEM flavor and both have triggers that break around 4.5 lbs after a long take up and with a longer reset.  The couple of times that I've carried the P30L, I've had no concerns with carrying it, even with it's very light trigger. 
Lumspond
Life Member

NRA life member

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 01:02:38 PM »

Agree with Mark and CB. Better to decock, if available, but not a hazard with modern firearms (hammer bar safety, or whatever they are called). Thanks for sharing Mark.

New Castle County
Just Bill
Life Member

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 03:51:29 PM »

1911....cocked and locked!!!

NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock
AGI Firearms Appraiser
MarcWinkman

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 06:11:02 AM »

1911....cocked and locked!!!

I tried carrying my Wilson CQB Compact a couple of times, but encountered issues with the thumb safety getting bumped off throughout the day.  I'd like to give this a whirl again with a pistol that has a single side safety only vice ambidexterous safety.
Sigarms12
deccw.com founder
Life Member

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 01:04:00 PM »

the only thing with a sig is when its cocked it has a very light weight trigger pull. Not sure what the lbs is off hand.

" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.
MarcWinkman

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 06:59:54 AM »

the only thing with a sig is when its cocked it has a very light weight trigger pull. Not sure what the lbs is off hand.

It's light.  If I had to gander a guess, I'd say somewhere down around 4 lbs or so.
seniorgeek
Life Member

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 06:10:30 PM »

M&P Shield chambered and holstered. Doesn't need to have safety on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: