Author Topic: I Had a Brain Lapse This Morning  (Read 4962 times)

MarcWinkman

• Life Member
I Had a Brain Lapse This Morning
« on: June 01, 2017, 01:34:58 PM »
Well gang, I had my first CC brain lapse today.  I was in a rush to get out the door to get to an 8:00 meeting at the State building in Wilmington, and as I do every morning, I grabbed my P229 out of the safe, loaded a mag into it and chambered a round and slid it into my holster.  Well, I noticed that when I got to the State building garage and was locking the gun in the car, I had neglected to decock the pistol before holstering.  So let this be a PSA, never throw your gun in your holster while trying to rush out the door.  At least I don't have any extra holes in me or my car. 

PPScarry

• Life Member
  • del ccdw license holder - NRA member
Re: I Had a Brain Lapse This Morning
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 03:07:39 PM »
That story gave me a pee shiver.
"There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. "
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 06:15:43 PM »
As one of the group who doesn't have a decocking pistol, I need a little education.
Given that a CC trigger should be at least 4.5-5.5 lbs, the holster should cover the trigger, and one should keep one's booger hook off the bang switch until one is on-target, what am I missing aside from a redundant (although comforting) safety?
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

MarcWinkman

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 06:37:41 PM »
As one of the group who doesn't have a decocking pistol, I need a little education.
Given that a CC trigger should be at least 4.5-5.5 lbs, the holster should cover the trigger, and one should keep one's booger hook off the bang switch until one is on-target, what am I missing aside from a redundant (although comforting) safety?

Not really an issue.  Just pointing out something goofy that I did while rushing when running late.  For what it's worth, the trigger on my P229 breaks at right around 4.5 lbs in SA with a very short take up and almost immediate reset and I really don't like carrying this gun in anything but DA which is a long, smooth 10 lb break or thereabout.  My HK P30L and P30SK on the other hand are the LEM flavor and both have triggers that break around 4.5 lbs after a long take up and with a longer reset.  The couple of times that I've carried the P30L, I've had no concerns with carrying it, even with it's very light trigger. 

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 08:02:38 PM »
Agree with Mark and CB. Better to decock, if available, but not a hazard with modern firearms (hammer bar safety, or whatever they are called). Thanks for sharing Mark.
New Castle County

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 10:51:29 PM »
1911....cocked and locked!!!
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

MarcWinkman

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 01:11:02 PM »
1911....cocked and locked!!!

I tried carrying my Wilson CQB Compact a couple of times, but encountered issues with the thumb safety getting bumped off throughout the day.  I'd like to give this a whirl again with a pistol that has a single side safety only vice ambidexterous safety.

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 08:04:00 PM »
the only thing with a sig is when its cocked it has a very light weight trigger pull. Not sure what the lbs is off hand.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

MarcWinkman

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 01:59:54 PM »
the only thing with a sig is when its cocked it has a very light weight trigger pull. Not sure what the lbs is off hand.

It's light.  If I had to gander a guess, I'd say somewhere down around 4 lbs or so.

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 01:10:30 AM »
M&P Shield chambered and holstered. Doesn't need to have safety on.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County