Author Topic: Help ! is my knife legal?  (Read 7392 times)

BugmanMD

Help ! is my knife legal?
« on: June 09, 2017, 04:42:21 AM »
with CCDW permit, is my knife ok to carry?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0057R8SSM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Kershaw 1605CKTST Clash Folding Knife with SpeedSafe

Here is the link at Kershaw's web site:
https://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/black-clash

I have read through several posts on knives, but call me dense - I just want a simple yes or no answer. This legal stuff drives me nuts.

Love my knife - very handy to have. Has the Kershaw "speedsafe" action which is not a switchblade, but some kind of action that assists the blade so you can open with one hand.  Blade is 3.1" long according to the amazon listing.

Love this knife - have two of them and like to carry - is this illegal with my CCDW permit? Thanks for any help.
Can you give me any recommendations for knives that are definitely legal? Delaware has some complicated laws... ::)
NRA Life Member
Sussex County

29thInfantry

• Life Member
Re: Help ! is my knife legal?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 06:00:30 AM »
Yes it is you can also carry an ASP This is what I carry CCW does afford us to carry larger knives concealed.   

Refer to this post http://deccw.com/index.php?topic=2758.0

https://www.crkt.com/m16-14sfg-special-forces-tanto-large-with-veff-serrations.html
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 02:02:39 PM »
The DECCW is a permit for the carrying of concealed weapons, not just a gun permit as in some states. About the only thing you can't carry legally under it is a switchblade knife or machine gun.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 01:04:46 AM »
The DECCW is a permit for the carrying of concealed weapons, not just a gun permit as in some states. About the only thing you can't carry legally under it is a switchblade knife or machine gun.
One must exercise caution, however, when concealing angry midgets or pit bulls.
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

BugmanMD

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 06:35:15 AM »
Hey great thanks, men - that is very reassuring.  ;D
If anyone is interested in a great lightweight, folding knife easy to conceal, sharper than a razor, that you can use as a backup weapon, or just to slice through boxes like butter, this is highly recommended - really a great knife -- only $20 or so on amazon.   Easy to open with a flick of your finger, but be careful closing one-handed - I've cut myself a few times - it is way sharper than a razor blade, and can snap shut quickly if you're not careful.  

I'll continue to carry it then.

NRA Life Member
Sussex County

BugmanMD

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 06:39:42 AM »
Yes it is you can also carry an ASP This is what I carry CCW does afford us to carry larger knives concealed. 

Hmm - what is an ASP?
NRA Life Member
Sussex County

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 07:07:39 AM »

Hmm - what is an ASP?

https://www.asp-usa.com/store/batons/category/40-friction-loc

I keep one in my car.  There are many different types and if you have had any formal martial arts training with stick fighting this will feel very familiar. Looks like this site only sells to law enforcement but there are plenty of other brands out there this was just for an example.  I have had mine for many years I got it at a local martial arts supply store.

Here is one that you can pick up

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Smith-Wesson-reg-Collapsible-Baton/1318786.uts

« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 07:17:28 AM by 29thInfantry »
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

coolwrld

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 11:31:47 AM »
I'm really starting to hate knife laws more than gun laws as they are much harder to decipher and too suggestive as to what constitutes this kind of knife or that kind of knife. Well at least to me.  DE is pretty straightforward but MD and PA have goofy caveats.  Like I have a spring assisted folder but depending on how you read and interpret the laws assisted knives are not legal.  Then there are references to knives that open with a switch or some other "button".  I know what a typical switchblade is but most modern spring assisted knives have a thumb button or depending on your interpretation a "switch" that is used to open the knife.
DE - CCDW Permit Holder
PA - N/R CCDW Permit Holder
NRA Life Member
New Castle County

BugmanMD

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 05:46:23 AM »
yes, coolwrld, - I totally agree with you. Tried to read the law myself and could not make much sense of it. Yes my knife has some kind of assist device to open it, but it is not a switchblade.

Well, to back you guys up - I asked my rangemaster today about this. He is retired Georgetown Chief of Police, so I trust he is knowledgeable.  His opinion is that at least in Sussex County, with a concealed weapons permit, you can carry these types of knives, without blade length limitation, just not an actual "Switch-blade."

You can thank a lawyer for all this confusion.  With time, the laws become so complicated that it is just impossible for an honest citizen to comply with them. 

Like you, I'll get my PA non-resident license, as soon as I can get a day to drive up. used to have a resident permit in Berks Cty, but let it lapse when I moved.  At least it is a lot easier to get a permit in PA, than in DE.  Do you carry your spring assisted folding knife, like mine, in PA?
NRA Life Member
Sussex County

del elec

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2017, 10:59:20 AM »
Unlike Delaware, the PA LTCF only pertains to to firearms.
[]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
------)_'_\ * (
"----------\ * \
"-----------\_*_\
Life NRA
Shooters Choice
Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club
DE CCDW
PA LTCF
MD Wear & Carry

coolwrld

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2017, 11:42:17 PM »
I purchased one of these for when I am going in to MD or PA.  CRKT Hootenanny https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TACNZD8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1.  It has a "lever" but it is not spring loaded.  So if you gently use the lever the blade will pop open but only half way.  Of course if you hit the lever hard enough the blade will open all the way.  I went this route for MD and PA so I don't have to worry about someone else and how they interpret what is or is not spring assisted I just removed the spring altogether.
DE - CCDW Permit Holder
PA - N/R CCDW Permit Holder
NRA Life Member
New Castle County

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2017, 02:27:03 AM »
Be carefull in cities like Philadelphia.  Carrying any knife is illegal open or concealed. Case of a guy on his way to work busted with a Leatherman on a SEPTA train carrying in a belt case. 
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.