Author Topic: Tell me about your 380  (Read 10917 times)

Sinker

Tell me about your 380
« on: June 23, 2017, 07:06:37 PM »
I picked up a Taurus 738 TCP on sale at Cabela’s because I happened to be there and it happened to be on sale and I happened to not have a summer pocket carry gun…and do I really need a reason?  Anyway, it turns out that both Mrs Sinker and I really enjoy the ‘point and shoot’ simplicity of this little guy.  At defensive distances it does what it’s supposed to do.  However, I’m not sure I’m really comfortable with a DAO/no safety handgun in my pocket, or more importantly attached to Mrs Sinker’s bra should she go with the ‘flashbang’ holster.   Yeah, I know that action is essentially the same as a revolver, but still…
So now that I know I like a small 380, I’m looking at upgrading to something a little nicer and with another level of security.  At first glance, I’m looking at the Glock 42 and the S&W Bodyguard, but am certainly open to suggestions.  If you’re so inclined, I’d like to hear about your experiences with ‘pocket guns’, what you like/don’t like about particular models, etc.  The Ruger LCPII seems highly regarded, but I just can’t do the SAO/no safety.

AudiQ

Re: Tell me about your 380
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 10:33:16 PM »
Sig P238 had a manual 1911 style thumb safety. Mine has been 100% reliable after 500 rounds. There are many styles of this model to choose from.
Endeavor to persevere

8thFA

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 01:25:42 AM »
I bought a ruger LC380 last summer, strictly for summer carry.  I too wasn't comfortable with no safeties, so that's why I didn't get a LCP.  The LC380 has an external safety so I felt a bit safer carrying that IWB.  In the winter I carry a Glock 21, and a XDM 3.8 most other times.  I haven't even used my LC380 yet this year, but it's a nice little gun.
US Army veteran
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
NCC

Tonym

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 03:37:08 AM »
I carry a glock 43 as my every day gun. I use a iwb holster tho that covers the trigger so not having a safety really isnt an issue for me.

lynch

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 10:02:58 AM »
M&P Bodyguard. No built-in laser. Good for up close. If you are far enough away that you have to aim it, then retreat instead. Sights are not that great.
Not a weapon I'd want in a shoot-out but I don't plan on being in any extended gun battles. May be too small for big handed folks.
Fires like a champ though with narry a ftf or fte.
DE ccdw
PA  LTCF
Utah CFP
NRA member

Etrier

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 03:21:37 PM »
I carry a Glock 42 with Lehigh Defense or Underwood Ammo  380  rounds in it.  My preferred holster for carrying is an OWB Kydex that is easily covered with a tee shirt.  I think it is important that the holster you carry provides a hard cover over the trigger guard regardless if the firearm is equipped with a safety or not.  An individuals hand size is also an important consideration with small 380 firearms.  It seems that  the firearm does not feel as comfortable in large hands and does have better feel and comfort in smaller hands.
Kydex Holster Maker

NormH3

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 03:42:52 PM »
My 380 is a .38 :)

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 12:57:00 AM »
My P3AT has been the recipient of replacement parts from the Florida folks, and has even traveled to Florida for repairs.  My experience with it hasn't been as bad as some have had with theirs, but ... 

Every time that it seemed to be running well, my thought was, "let me run one more mag."  And that's when something would fail. 

Truthfully, pushing full-power ammo through the tiniest thing known to exist is a recipe for problems.  Some folks have never had a problem with their P3AT, but maybe "problems" are subjective.  For me, I think that I should be able to run a hundred or so rounds through a weapon without a failure.  Perhaps I am unrealistic.
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

PPScarry

• Life Member
  • del ccdw license holder - NRA member
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 04:15:53 PM »
I use a Glock 42 sometimes as a backup to my PPS. I found the 42 to be ammo picky however I went to Chris and he supplied me with excellent ammo and have never had a problem. I always use a holster with a hard trigger cover for any pistol and feel confident and safe.
"There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. "
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

topper

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 12:02:31 PM »
I use a Glock 42 sometimes as a backup to my PPS. I found the 42 to be ammo picky however I went to Chris and he supplied me with excellent ammo and have never had a problem. I always use a holster with a hard trigger cover for any pistol and feel confident and safe.

I don't know if the problems on your 42 carry over to a Glock 43 because I haven't shot my wife's 43 yet, but I'm curious though, what ammo are you buying from Chris?
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms…disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes…

USAF Vietnam Era Veteran
Army National Guard
Civil Air Patrol
NRA Life Time Member
DE CCW
PA CCW

PPScarry

• Life Member
  • del ccdw license holder - NRA member
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 01:22:49 PM »
Sig Sauer elite performance. I can shoot just about anything through the 43. I only experienced FTE from the 42.
"There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. "
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

Packing_Nine

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2017, 03:04:01 AM »
I love my Beretta Pico. It's not fancy, but holds 6+1 and is really thin. I've had one hang-up in three hundred rounds. The slide catch held the slide open, but the mag wasn't empty yet. Otherwise, it has been issue-free. The wallet holster is my favorite part. Slips in my back pocket, and then it's completely invisible. I did buy the laser grip when they went on sale, and it works very well. But doesn't fit in my holster, so now the laser sits on the bench. Price on these things is great, too. Everyone should give it a try.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Dneall7

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2017, 11:21:17 PM »
I love my Beretta Pico.

Have you had any trouble with location of the magazine release?  The salesman at cabelas was telling me it's easy to engage by accident.

Packing_Nine

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2017, 11:30:29 PM »
Have you had any trouble with location of the magazine release?  The salesman at cabelas was telling me it's easy to engage by accident.

Accidentally engage the release? I'm not sure how that would happen. It's under the trigger guard, but it's not a button you push. It's a little lever that must be pulled downward towards the butt of the weapon. I'd suspect more people might complain that it is not instinctive to operate, as they are accustomed to the more typically button style release.

I find it remarkably simple to operate with two hands (right hand holds the Pico, left hand simultaneously sweeps the release and catches the magazine). After a bit of practice, I can operate it one handed as well (right hand holds the Pico, right thumb sweeps the paddle in a downward motion).

I've never had it release when I did not intend for it to do so. However, after a few days of carrying the Pico I have mistakenly tried to operate the magazine release on my Ruger LC9s the wrong way. I remember which pistol I had been carrying, and need to re-calibrate my motions for the Ruger.

Tonym

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2017, 12:57:26 AM »
The salesmen at cabelas was giving you advice? Theres your problem