Author Topic: PA permit  (Read 14292 times)

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
Re: PA permit
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2017, 11:26:29 PM »
When we were at Poconos I contacted several sheriff offices and no one up there seems to do out of state permits anymore . I did find one that was about an hour away (Scranton) and they said they did same day out of state permits but with our vk I never took the time to go. Just going to head to Lancaster one day when I can get off and hope it will be a low workload day so I do t have to make another trip. I don't go to Pa much so it's not that important to me. Now eastern shore Md is a different story. I'm over there often and would love to not have to stop and lock up at the line . :-\

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2017, 02:06:59 AM »
.... Now eastern shore Md is a different story. I'm over there often and would love to not have to stop and lock up at the line . :-\
not sure what you mean here. PA permit does nothing for MD. Locking up to visit MD isn't legal. We need HR 38 or an equivalent national reciprocity law to break MD's stranglehold on our 2A rights.
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2017, 05:19:26 AM »
.... Now eastern shore Md is a different story. I'm over there often and would love to not have to stop and lock up at the line . :-\
not sure what you mean here. PA permit does nothing for MD. Locking up to visit MD isn't legal. We need HR 38 or an equivalent national reciprocity law to break MD's stranglehold on our 2A rights.

As long as you lock it up according to the Federal transportation act.  Firearm unloaded and locked up and ammo in a different compartment locked up. 
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

lynch

• Life Member
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2017, 11:13:49 AM »
From the MD state police web page:
How can I legally transport firearms within / through Maryland?

​They must be unloaded, in a carrying case, holster with a flap and the ammunition should be separate. It would be best to keep the unloaded weapon in the trunk where you do not have access to it. There are further regulations but essentially you can only transport a handgun between residence, to and from a repair shop, a shooting sporting event, between a residence and place of business if substantially owned and operated by the person. For more information please contact our Licensing Division​.

http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Pages/FAQs.aspx

Other than what's quoted above and the provisions laid out in the Firearms Owners’ Protection Act for travelling through the state, I dont think you can just lock up the gun and go about your business in MD without inviting some deep you-know-what.

The MD SP explanation is a bit vague, ie "unloaded, in a carrying case, holster with a flap and the ammunition should be separate" Does that mean you need to have the gun in a flapped holster inside a carrying case with ammo somewhere else?
And the part I put in bold: why not just list the, "further regulations"?
Does anyone have a clear take on this.
Sorry for helping to redirect the thread.
DE ccdw
PA  LTCF
Utah CFP
NRA member

Cbmarine

• Life Member
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2017, 02:51:22 PM »
You must be traveling through MD, not on a visit. Your destination must be beyond MD not in it.

Firearms Owners Protection Act as embodied in 18 USC 926a states:
§ 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms
Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such trans- porting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammu- nition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
New Castle County

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2017, 08:11:44 PM »
From the MD state police web page:
How can I legally transport firearms within / through Maryland?

​They must be unloaded, in a carrying case, holster with a flap and the ammunition should be separate. It would be best to keep the unloaded weapon in the trunk where you do not have access to it. There are further regulations but essentially you can only transport a handgun between residence, to and from a repair shop, a shooting sporting event, between a residence and place of business if substantially owned and operated by the person. For more information please contact our Licensing Division​.

http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Pages/FAQs.aspx

Other than what's quoted above and the provisions laid out in the Firearms Owners’ Protection Act for travelling through the state, I dont think you can just lock up the gun and go about your business in MD without inviting some deep you-know-what.

The MD SP explanation is a bit vague, ie "unloaded, in a carrying case, holster with a flap and the ammunition should be separate" Does that mean you need to have the gun in a flapped holster inside a carrying case with ammo somewhere else?
And the part I put in bold: why not just list the, "further regulations"?
Does anyone have a clear take on this.
Sorry for helping to redirect the thread.
The State police are wrong in saying you must be part of a "shooting sporting event". Section 4 clearly allows for Carry to informal target practice as long as the unloaded handgun is in a closed case or holster. See below:

4-203
(4) the wearing, carrying, or transporting by a person of a handgun used in connection with an organized military activity, a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, a Department of Natural Resources-sponsored firearms and hunter safety class, trapping, or a dog obedience training class or show, while the person is engaged in, on the way to, or returning from that activity if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

In any case, unless you are passing through to a legal state, you may not routinely have a hand gun in your possession without a Maryland license.  This is also true for Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 08:18:15 PM by Clarence »
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2017, 10:59:21 AM »
When I go to friends in Md I either leave my firearm home or use a lock box with ammo separate in rear of vehicle unless I'm in my truck then it's locked up separated under the back seat. We do target shoot in Md sometimes . So if your out and about in De and for whatever reason we want to go to Md it's not legal to lock up your firearm in a lock box with ammo separate and go to a store or a friends house legally ?

NormH3

• Life Member
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2017, 12:45:00 PM »
When I go to friends in Md I either leave my firearm home or use a lock box with ammo separate in rear of vehicle unless I'm in my truck then it's locked up separated under the back seat. We do target shoot in Md sometimes . So if your out and about in De and for whatever reason we want to go to Md it's not legal to lock up your firearm in a lock box with ammo separate and go to a store or a friends house legally ?

I believe you can only go to and from the range/store and not make other stops or detours in between.

Cbmarine

• Life Member
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2017, 04:26:22 PM »
Here is a 2A horror story about a FL gent passing through Fort McHenry tunnel. (Take a look at photo. How many of the 4 guns laws is he violating?).  Also have read posts about cops following MD gun owners leaving the shooting range to see if they are going straight home.

There are two bills in Congress: HR 358 and S.618
To correct this situation, the pending bills would:

Expand the protections afforded travelers to include “staying in temporary lodging overnight, stopping for food, fuel, vehicle maintenance, an emergency, medical treatment, and any other activity incidental” to the trip.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 04:33:07 PM by Cbmarine »
New Castle County

rikwick

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2017, 11:10:19 AM »
I visit my brother once a week in Maryland, he lives a mile from the DE border.  I do NOT bring my firearm into the state even though I have a lock box for it.  It is illegal unless your destination is a gun shop or range.  Federal law will not protect us if we are just visiting somewhere in the state.  When I go to the state forest range all ammo is locked up and no ammo is in any magazines which are also locked up separate from the guns.  All my family is in either NJ, MD or SC.  We really need national reciprocity.  I have only had my permit for about 2 years and man do I feel so differently when I am not carrying!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 12:54:43 PM by rikwick »

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2017, 07:25:46 PM »
When I go to the state forest range all ammo is locked up and no ammo is in any magazines

WHY?!?

You are talking about Elk Neck correct?

http://deccw.com/index.php?topic=1411.0
Reply #9
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Larryness

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2017, 06:51:45 PM »
So, I ended up going to Media. It's only about 10 miles from my current work site. Grabbed a blank form and filled it out there. Answered the few questions, took my picture, and paid my $20. The staff was pretty nice. The big caviat was they said I have to wait for the background check to clear. Then they will send a letter to the house. And THEN I go back and pick up the license. I filled out the application on a Wednesday, and received my letter about a week and a half later. Now I just have to find the time to go back and pick it up.

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2017, 02:46:06 PM »
Lancaster.  that is where I got my permit then headed to Shady Maple for dinner.

There's your plan right there!
Proud resident of Kent County DE