Author Topic: Sussex County - Good reason to carry?  (Read 4381 times)

Rkeo

• NRA Life Member
Sussex County - Good reason to carry?
« on: August 13, 2017, 02:57:09 PM »
Hi, I am new to the forum and just starting my application process? I was going to use as my reason to carry "to protect self, family, & property" however I was told that this is unacceptable for Sussex County. Is this correct? And if so, what is acceptable? Thanks in advance for any guidance on this topic.

PPScarry

• Life Member
  • del ccdw license holder - NRA member
Re: Sussex County - Good reason to carry?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 03:22:00 PM »
It is the same reason most of us on this site used. It worked for me in NCCO. 
"There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. "
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 03:48:48 PM »
That is what I put on my application also and come to think of it I am coming up on my renewal date. 
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

MarkB

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 04:35:21 PM »
I used the same for my initial and my renewal this year in Sussex.  Where did you hear that that reason was no good in Sussex?
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

Rkeo

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 05:43:08 PM »
I just took my course at JD Defense and that was what the future instructor told me. In addition they said that I could not use a husband and wife as references, they needed to all be different households. Which contradicts everything I had already thought was needed. Thanks for the help.

Rkeo

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 09:09:03 PM »
Sorry, "that is what the instructor told me" not "future instructor"

RetCapt1994

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 11:48:57 PM »
I have been using "for self protection" since 1995 in Sussex Co. without any problems. Just used it again in Jan. for another renewal. Again no problems. Good Luck and regards.
Glock Armorer - Tavor Level One Armorer
It is all about bullet placement                          Carry permits, de ccw, and leosa/hr218  DELAWARE SUCKS----THE WORST STATE

lynch

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 09:09:44 AM »
I just took my course at JD Defense and that was what the future instructor told me. In addition they said that I could not use a husband and wife as references, they needed to all be different households. Which contradicts everything I had already thought was needed. Thanks for the help.

This is not the 1st time I've heard people say that J D Defense recommends a detailed reason for ccw. I don't know why. You should keep it simple as most members here do. As far as not using a husband and wife and/or requiring them to be in different households, that just not true. I used a husband and wife who live at the same address as references on my 1st application and I was holding my permit in hand 19 days later.
DE ccdw
PA  LTCF
Utah CFP
NRA member

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 12:36:54 PM »

When I initially applied (LONG AGO), was told the same thing.  The application says be VERY specific.  So, in that box I wrote "see attached".  On a separate sheet of paper I listed 7-8 reasons why I wanted a CCDW.  If you go this route, think of day time scenarios and evening ones. (Removes the chance of a restricted permit - although I have never seen one marked as restricted).  All of my reasons ended with I fear serious physical injury and or death.  If PM will allow me to attach a file, I'll send you mine VIA PM.  If not I'll send VIA email.  If you use my reasons, PLEASE figure out how they fit in your situation and REWORD them.

As far as the references we tell our students 2 in the same household count as 2 references.

If you should have any other questions please feel free to ask.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

greymas

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 02:55:32 AM »
I applied in NCC and used a husband and wife in same household. Not a problem.

MarcWinkman

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 02:19:13 PM »
You can most certainly use references who are spouses. Both my receptionist and her husband were references for me.  No problems.  As for reason, protection of self, family, and property is sufficient. 

coolwrld

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 11:59:57 AM »

I received my permit back in January and 4 of the 5 references were husband and wife pairs who lived in the same household.  I also used a fairly generic statement for the reason something like "For the protection of myself, my family and my property".
DE - CCDW Permit Holder
PA - N/R CCDW Permit Holder
NRA Life Member
New Castle County