Author Topic: Reloading 223  (Read 3262 times)

563jack

Reloading 223
« on: September 14, 2017, 12:50:43 AM »
OK, I've been reloading 9mm, 38 special and 357 for several years. I've reloaded over 5000 rounds so I feel its time to try something a little more complicated. Reloading 223 sounds like it could be fun, sounds exciting from what I read about it. My first question would be is it cheaper to buy 223 ammo on line or would it be cheaper to reload. Has anyone on this site ever worked up a price for reloading 223 vs buying them? Reloading 9mm I can make a box of 50 for $6.00/box. Cheapest I saw on line is $10 to $12 per box of 50. I collect shells at the range to keep the price down.

Added expenses for 223 reloads would be buying a case trimmer and de-buring tools and a 4 die reload set along with small rifle primers, gun powder, and bullets.   Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
Re: Reloading 223
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 03:56:09 AM »
A case gauge may be needed to verify that the case hasn't bulged during crimping. Assuming that the cartridges will be fired in an AR-15 which lacks the camming force of a bolt action rifle. I had adjust the crimping very precisely to avoid bulging. Another pain is the full case lubing before resizing followed by wiping the case dry afterwards.
Although slow, it is comforting to have the supplies on hand in case we have another ammo shortage.
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 12:09:43 PM »
Well.....  You can still make it for less, just like your pistol ammo.

Sources are: Nachez & Cabelas

NachezCabelas
Bullet.08.12
Primer.03.03
Powder.07.10
Total.19.25
Buy RTS.29.40
  Ready To Shoot

I did not dig real deep for prices AND I DID NOT compare similar quantities of materials.
Nachez had an 8 lb keg of powder, Cabelas offered 1 lb.  If they had an 8, it would be cheaper.

You will also have an added step of case trimming.  You can go any where from hand tools to GTC.
I personally went with GTC.  (Buy once, cry once)

Could always call our local FFL and see what his prices for supplies are or RTS ammo.
(Chris hope you and family are well)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 12:13:21 PM by Radnor »
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 12:54:07 PM »
I currently load .45 and 9MM, so I have some of the equipment needed.  And I took a course on reloading from AGI, but decided that reloading rifle cartridges is simply too labor and gadget intensive to go ahead and get the dies and other needed items.   If I shot 1k rounds a week, that would all be different, but I am a casual shooter of 5.56/.223.
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

Tonym

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 06:45:21 PM »
I reload plinking ammo in 223. You can get it under a quarter a round if you really try

Ive never needed to trim a case but making them all uniform helps. The necks tend to split after the 2nd reload for me. Its really not worth the time to anneal 223 cases since spent cases are so cheap and plentiful.

I use a 2 die hornady die set. If you buy a lee die set throw the shell holder in the garbage and order an rcbs one. You may as well order the rcbs stuck case remover to and some of their case lube