Author Topic: East coast road trip  (Read 3312 times)

coolwrld

East coast road trip
« on: December 18, 2017, 12:22:55 AM »
Hello Everyone,

I get this is a DE forum but I have seen there are lots of smart and experienced CC members here so I figured I would start here related to questions regarding an upcoming east coast road trip that will take me from DE to south-west FL via I95, I4 and I75.  I have my DE resident permit and PA non-resident permit.  So doing my research as far as I can gather I should be good for CC in every state along the I95 corridor going south except MD and SC.  So my questions are:

• While I'm traveling through MD & SC if I unload the gun and lock the unloaded gun in the glove box and lock the loaded magazine in the trunk should that be adequate to not run afoul of any potential issues?
  • Is anyone are of any ludicrous ammo restrictions in VA, NC, GA & FL?  I have already traveled to VA as a CCer and if my memory is serving me correctly they do not, but not familiar with the other listed states. 

I'm also certainly open to any advice from members that may have made this or similar trip in the past.  Thanks.
DE - CCDW Permit Holder
PA - N/R CCDW Permit Holder
NRA Life Member
New Castle County

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
Re: East coast road trip
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 12:34:26 AM »
In MD, you need to have the unloaded gun in the trunk, and the ammunition in a separate container. Start the trip this way, and arm yourself when you get to VA.
Driving through SC, you can transport the gun the same as in MD, but it's not necessary: it can be transported loaded in any closed & latched container (center console, glovebox, or a locked metal box).
Reviewing the PDF files at handgunlaw.us is always recommended.

I am not a lawyer. Your mileage may vary. Actual mileage will probably be less. Offer not valid in Alaska and Hawaii.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 05:43:02 AM »
There may also be some validity to the idea of printing out — like, on paper made from dead trees — any applicable materials, such as reciprocal agreements and so forth. These are best done from each state’s website.  Some may argue that such information is readily available on their smartphones — but is that what you really want to hand out through the window?
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 11:59:21 AM »
Also, know the states where you MUST inform if you are pulled over.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

coolwrld

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 07:35:11 PM »
Thanks guys.  I guess I really oversimplified this.  I have looked at the handgunlaw.us site and apparently didn't realize the rules just for transportation could be different.  I assumed as long as the gun was "unloaded" and not readily accessible it was ok. So to me the gun in a locked glove box and the magazine in the trunk made it "not readily accessible" glad you pointed out I was wrong.

So regarding SC in reading the above and handgunlaw.us it sounds like the gun just has to be in a closed glovebox.  Does the glovebox have to be physically locked with the key is is having it closed enough?

In anyone aware of any ammo restrictions in any of the east coasts states?  And I almost forgot to ask about magazine capacity. So Maryland says nothing greater than 10 rounds. If I'm not a Maryland resident and am just traveling through does that mean my 15 round mag is ok or is it going to be problematic.  I guess since I'm traveling through I should be fine but heaven forbid if my car breaks down than I guess I'm screwed.
DE - CCDW Permit Holder
NRA Life Member
New Castle County

topper

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2017, 07:44:22 PM »
FYI, my youngest son, while traveling form here to SC (where he lived and had a CCW) at about midnight was sideswiped by a Va state police car chasing a stolen car. My son was hit hard enough he thought it prudent to ride an ambulance to the hospital. His car was going to be towed and not driveable. Worried about his firearm, he advised an officer who than held it till his aunt arrived. (She was CCW also).
My son was released a couple hours later, and picked up his car a month later.

Moral of the story is even if you're not speeding there could be circumstances beyond your control, and you may not have an Aunt close by to help out.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms…disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes…

USAF Vietnam Era Veteran
Army National Guard
Civil Air Patrol
NRA Life Time Member
DE CCW
PA CCW

coolwrld

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 01:46:40 AM »
Completely understand and thanks for the words of advice.  I'm really hoping there are no issues like that.  Because if that were to happen good, bad or indifferent I think at that point I would be more worried about my Charger Hellcat than the gun but I get the need to be diligent.
DE - CCDW Permit Holder
NRA Life Member
New Castle County

FreakShow

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 01:58:29 PM »
When the SHTF this year, and it's coming soon, you won't have to worry about taking your guns across state line. Hell, by then you'll be staying where you are when it happens. But even now, why over think your driving. Do you plan on speeding of breaking any noticeable laws. I keep my gun in my car and out of site. I've yet to have a cop ask me for anything other than my license and registration, i have a clean record and they have no reason to ask anything else
I got the fever and the only prescription, is more cowbell

NRA Member