Author Topic: Need some education  (Read 4219 times)

FreakShow

• Life Member
Need some education
« on: October 12, 2017, 08:00:16 PM »
Looking at 410 shotgun shells. is see different numbers for pellets #4, #5, #6. what's the meaning and difference between them. Just bought a Snake Slayer from Chris. Want to make sure i get the bang for the buck.. i know that was a cheesy joke
I got the fever and the only prescription, is more cowbell

NRA Member

NormH3

• Life Member
Re: Need some education
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 08:09:52 PM »
The larger the number the smaller the pellet size. The smaller the pellet, the more there are in a shell.

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 08:49:46 PM »
The larger the number the smaller the pellet size. The smaller the pellet, the more there are in a shell.
I've always been averse to simplistic understandable answers :)
To be precise, here's what is on Wikipedia. At least the last sentence is understandable.
The gauge of a firearm is a unit of measurement used to express the inner diameter (bore diameter) of the barrel. Gauge is determined from the weight of a solid sphere of lead that will fit the bore of the firearm, and is expressed as the multiplicative inverse of the sphere's weight as a fraction of a pound, e.g., a one-twelfth pound ball fits a 12-gauge bore. Thus there are twelve 12-gauge balls per pound, etc.
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

FreakShow

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 11:04:25 PM »
Thank you both for the education
I got the fever and the only prescription, is more cowbell

NRA Member

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 11:44:19 AM »
CB, you beat me to it....  That's the example I use when teaching scouts their SG merit badge.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 01:13:33 PM »
Todd...is that when their eyes glaze over that they go to sleep???  I always have some that obviously are not listening, maybe with a phone or something else.  That is when I tell them I will use that gadget as a target for the scouts to shoot at.
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith