Author Topic: Preferred 9mm carry ammo  (Read 13383 times)

563jack

Re: Preferred 9mm carry ammo
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2017, 07:52:29 PM »
Hey Hap, I did a little looking around on those underwood defense round and they appear to be great when you want to go thru a hard substance like a car door, windshield, plywood. they tend to maintain their shape when they hit things like bone or glass and don't deviate as much as HP after penetrating a hard object. On gel test they seam to be more stable than a HP with a deeper penetration. Overall, I think I'll wait until the FBI, ATF, LEO start using them vs HP. I wonder why we don't see more information of that type of bullet in hunting articles. They sure look like they could cause a lot of damage and aid in stopping a threat.

FreakShow

• Life Member
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2017, 02:27:37 AM »
i don't want anything to retain the shape. I what it to break up in to pieces, stopping whatever it is that i'm shooting at keeping it from continuing to come at me
I got the fever and the only prescription, is more cowbell

NRA Member

Sinker

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2017, 02:46:14 PM »
I also use the Hornady Critical Defense in 9mm, 38 Special +P and 380 ACP, and like others have recommended, I practice with it occasionally.

topper

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2017, 08:17:06 PM »
I also use the Hornady Critical Defense in 9mm, 38 Special +P and 380 ACP, and like others have recommended, I practice with it occasionally.

I carry Hornady Critical Defense also. Does anyone know of any Police Depts using Hornady? I'm thinking of how I would explain to a judge why I carry it. I have a friend that carries the same brand that NYPD carries just for that reason.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms…disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes…

USAF Vietnam Era Veteran
Army National Guard
Civil Air Patrol
NRA Life Time Member
DE CCW
PA CCW

563jack

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2017, 11:01:54 PM »
Here's a web site that list the top 5 defense rounds used by different police department.
http://www.wideopenspaces.com/the-best-5-self-defense-ammo-for-9mm-used-by-law-enforcement/

topper

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2017, 02:14:39 AM »
Here's a web site that list the top 5 defense rounds used by different police department.
http://www.wideopenspaces.com/the-best-5-self-defense-ammo-for-9mm-used-by-law-enforcement/

I was looking for specific Police Departments, but this gave me some important info about my pistol and this ammo. I will probably switch now.

Thank you 563jack.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms…disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes…

USAF Vietnam Era Veteran
Army National Guard
Civil Air Patrol
NRA Life Time Member
DE CCW
PA CCW

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2017, 10:07:52 PM »
I see that none use less than a 124gr bullet......

Bill
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

Federal Firearm

• Life Member
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2017, 02:50:06 AM »
liberty defense and only liberty

FreakShow

• Life Member
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2017, 01:54:11 PM »
now i'm gonna have to look that up on your site,lol

NRA Member

hap_hazzard

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2017, 01:16:00 PM »
Hey Hap, I did a little looking around on those underwood defense round and they appear to be great when you want to go thru a hard substance like a car door, windshield, plywood. they tend to maintain their shape when they hit things like bone or glass and don't deviate as much as HP after penetrating a hard object. On gel test they seam to be more stable than a HP with a deeper penetration. Overall, I think I'll wait until the FBI, ATF, LEO start using them vs HP. I wonder why we don't see more information of that type of bullet in hunting articles. They sure look like they could cause a lot of damage and aid in stopping a threat.

Yeah, thinking same thing.  That said, this could be the ticket for my LCP 380 :-)

PPScarry

• Life Member
  • del ccdw license holder - NRA member
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2017, 04:21:10 PM »
Liberty Civil Defense 380 auto makes me feel better having my wife carrying a glock 42, thanks to Chris. Nice pistol by the way. I need to switch up my 9mm ammo for Christmas. My carry ammo is a few years old and I think I will shoot it at the range and replace with Liberty.
"There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. "
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

Federal Firearm

• Life Member
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2017, 01:05:18 AM »
now i'm gonna have to look that up on your site,lol

never on the site...only in the back room  ;D

FreakShow

• Life Member
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2017, 12:23:24 PM »
Does Liberty make the same type of round in 9mm

NRA Member

PPScarry

• Life Member
  • del ccdw license holder - NRA member
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2017, 12:37:15 PM »
yes
"There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. "
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

FreakShow

• Life Member
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2017, 12:45:57 PM »
guess a trip to federal is coming, lol. that's ok, i always enjoy myself

NRA Member