Author Topic: Do references have to be notarized  (Read 4655 times)

dtimpe

Do references have to be notarized
« on: November 26, 2017, 05:10:05 PM »
I am planning to apply for my DE CCDW (Kent) and am planning to complete everything and submit at once.  Question on references.
1) Do they need to be notarized?
2) Do they all need to be from your county?  I work in NCC and most people I know live in NCC. 
3) Can a husband and wife living at the same residence be used as two references?

Thank you,
David

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
Re: Do references have to be notarized
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 06:20:32 PM »
I am planning to apply for my DE CCDW (Kent) and am planning to complete everything and submit at once.  Question on references.
1) Do they need to be notarized?
2) Do they all need to be from your county?  I work in NCC and most people I know live in NCC.  
3) Can a husband and wife living at the same residence be used as two references?

Thank you,
David
1.  They do not have to be notarized.
2.   They DO need to be from your home county
3.    Husband and wife are fine

Make sure references are not related to you.  
I understand from comments on this forum that the
References should know you for a year although the statute
makes no such demand.  

Also it goes without saying they must not have a criminal record. 

I have never heard of a reference being called, but they are asked on the reference form if they know the reason you desire a license and could be asked.  Normally it of course is self defense but they should know your reason.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 06:47:28 PM by Clarence »
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

josephjanes

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 03:28:11 PM »
You want the best references possible, of course, so you may be uncomfortable asking them if they have a criminal record before handing them the form !! I actually submitted six references, in case one got kicked out for some reason I was not aware of.  Notarized NOT required.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 03:30:12 PM by josephjanes »

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 01:39:19 PM »
Sending an extra reference person not a bad idea. When I got my DECCW years ago, I sent in and extra reference because one of my neighbor/references was going to be in Florida for a while that winter, and I was afraid that they would kick my application due to not being able to make contact with the reference. I had known all but one of my references 20+ years, except one, I had known and worked with for 5 years. He was a local Fire Chief and business owner.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 01:42:45 PM by SturmRugerSR9 »
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

lynch

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 08:49:38 AM »
 I never told my references why I was applying for a permit and they all answered "No" to that question. I waited all of 19 days for my permit to arrive. :)
DE ccdw
PA  LTCF
Utah CFP
NRA member

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 10:08:49 AM »
I never told my references why I was applying for a permit and they all answered "No" to that question. I waited all of 19 days for my permit to arrive. :)
Yes.  I think they do no more than run an NCIC check on them. I know a guy who got several retired police and a fire chief.  He thought it would impress the AGs office. His license took 2 months longer than mine and I just had guys from work.  

I really think it’s just who’s desk it lands on and how busy they are.

Law just requires “respectable citizens “. That could be a retired policeman, a plumber or a janitor.
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.