Author Topic: DEOnline:"State officials respond to court ruling with partial gun ban in parks"  (Read 4611 times)

Paladin4CA

State officials have written a new version of a gun ban in state parks and forests following a recent state Supreme Court decision declaring a full ban unconstitutional.

The state Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control and state Department of Agriculture published emergency regulations this week, about three weeks after Supreme Court justices shot down the decades-old ban.

The revised rules outline specific places within parks and forests, such as visitor centers, group camping areas and lodges, where it will be illegal to carry weapons.

Both agencies said that without the temporary regulations the court’s ruling means “firearms would essentially be unregulated.”

“A risk of harm from gunfire would be presented in these and other areas where visitors gather, including families and children,” state cabinet secretaries wrote in orders accompanying the regulations.

<snip>

The updated ban excludes Delaware residents with valid permits to carry concealed deadly weapons and active or retired law enforcement officers, provided they show their license or credentials to park authorities.

The new rules also state people can apply for daily approval from the DNREC Secretary to carry weapons if they can show “good cause related to self-defense or the defense of family, and due regard for the safety of others.”
More at:
https://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/local/2017/12/28/state-officials-respond-court-ruling-partial-gun-ban-parks/986835001/
NRA Benefactor Member
NRA-ILA supporter

MarkB

• Life Member
State officials have written a new version of a gun ban in state parks and forests following a recent state Supreme Court decision declaring a full ban unconstitutional.

The state Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control and state Department of Agriculture published emergency regulations this week, about three weeks after Supreme Court justices shot down the decades-old ban.

The revised rules outline specific places within parks and forests, such as visitor centers, group camping areas and lodges, where it will be illegal to carry weapons.

Both agencies said that without the temporary regulations the court’s ruling means “firearms would essentially be unregulated.”

“A risk of harm from gunfire would be presented in these and other areas where visitors gather, including families and children,” state cabinet secretaries wrote in orders accompanying the regulations.

<snip>

The updated ban excludes Delaware residents with valid permits to carry concealed deadly weapons and active or retired law enforcement officers, provided they show their license or credentials to park authorities.

The new rules also state people can apply for daily approval from the DNREC Secretary to carry weapons if they can show “good cause related to self-defense or the defense of family, and due regard for the safety of others.”
More at:
https://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/local/2017/12/28/state-officials-respond-court-ruling-partial-gun-ban-parks/986835001/

See the BOLD above.  Same question as before:  Do I have to show my permit upon entry or just when asked?  What if there are no park employees available?
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

topper

<snip>

More at:

Same question as before:;  Do I have to show my permit upon entry or just when asked?  What if there are no park employees available?

Good questions. I like to go to the dog side of Lums Pond. There's nobody there. Another good place to walk is White Clay Creek Park, and there are areas there that aren't manned.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms…disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes…

USAF Vietnam Era Veteran
Army National Guard
Civil Air Patrol
NRA Life Time Member
DE CCW
PA CCW

Just Bill

• Life Member
So basically we have become NJ, Cal, DC, etc., we don't really care about the Constitution, ours or the US.  We will protect the people from law abiding citizens.

Bill
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
I’m not for any new anti-2A laws, however — they’re more tolerable when a carve-out benefits us.  Maybe “tolerable” isn’t the right word, but it’s at least a better idea than the alternative. 

What we don’t want to see is something like Texas, where we can get locked up just because the store has a posted (and compliant) sign. 
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
We will protect the people from law abiding citizens.

But it still won't stop criminals!
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
I read somewhere the language reads “ you have to show your lic if ask”.  I said nothing about showing to enter. I believe I seen this in an email from the state or the sportsmans association . If I find I will post it .

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
I read somewhere the language reads “ you have to show your lic if ask”.  I said nothing about showing to enter. I believe I seen this in an email from the state or the sportsmans association . If I find I will post it .
The DNREC emergency order is here
A parallel thread that discusses some of these questions is here.
Short answer: upon entry is only at State parks. Everywhere on state lands if asked.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 09:44:23 PM by Cbmarine »
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
I read somewhere the language reads “ you have to show your lic if ask”.  I said nothing about showing to enter. I believe I seen this in an email from the state or the sportsmans association . If I find I will post it .
The DNREC emergency order is here
A parallel thread that discusses some of these questions is here.
Short answer: upon entry is only at State parks. Everywhere on state lands if asked.
Thanks cbmarine. I couldn’t find it .

topper

Here is the way I read it.

In a PARK, we can carry into designated areas…offices, visitor centers, beaches, etc. but we must show our permit to Parks authorities FIRST.

AND

Any person possessing a firearm shall display identification UPON ENTRY and upon request, sufficient to enable a law enforcement officer to undertake a background check.
(Does this mean we must wait for a law enforcement officer to show up and do a background check on us? And what about park areas like the dog park area of Lums Pond that doesn’t have anyone to show on entry? Do we leave a copy of our ID so a officer can do a check when he arrives?)

Fish and Wildlife areas, we can carry into designated area…offices, visitor centers, etc but we only have to produce the permit upon request of Parks authorities.

AND (and this part is a little different from PARKS)

Any person possessing a firearm shall display identification upon request, sufficient to enable a law enforcement officer to undertake a background check. (We don't have to display on entry.)

DDA land we can carry into offices, etc and we have to produce the permit upon request of Departmental authorities.  (notice this one says Departmental authorities)

Any person possessing a firearm shall display identification upon request, sufficient to enable a law enforcement officer to undertake a background check. (notice this one is the same as Fish and Wildlife)

Comments? Corrections?
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms…disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes…

USAF Vietnam Era Veteran
Army National Guard
Civil Air Patrol
NRA Life Time Member
DE CCW
PA CCW

Just Bill

• Life Member
They purposely word these brilliant bills so no one can really understand them.
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

MarkB

• Life Member
Still confused but after reviewing the decision I'm not sure that the new regs meet muster.  They may also be illegal.  I don't know.  Perhaps someone with a legal background can comment.
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

NormH3

• Life Member
Sounds too me that they are poking Delaware's Supreme Court with a stick. I don't think the court can strike it down until another case is brought be fore them.