Author Topic: Bump Stock Ban Introduced  (Read 7435 times)

groundgrid

• Life Member
Bump Stock Ban Introduced
« on: December 15, 2017, 02:31:39 PM »
Took longer than I expected but here it is:

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/politics/2017/12/14/bump-stock-ban-introduced-delaware-general-assembly/951436001/

IMO, thanks to the current political majority here, making this go away completely will not be possible. However making it more tolerable is a must.
For example, "is designed or functions to accelerate the rate of fire" is not acceptable terminology as it may be used to ban even the most benign accessory. Even a scope would fit this description.

This would also be a good time to get suppressors removed from the list of destructive weapons.

Time to wake up & make some political noise.

Here’s the real issue: when your religion is government, and government is god, you cannot tolerate any other God before it
(The reason why Liberal/Progressives have waged a war on Christianity)

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
Re: Bump Stock Ban Introduced
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 03:40:49 PM »
Even though I am a longtime member of the NRA, a conservative and a CC permit holder, I have to say, I see no good use or need for "bump-stocks" or similar modifications to Semi-automatic guns. It turns them into
machine-guns, and they are already illegal.

As of now I would like to see Delaware HB 300 passed . This may not be a popuar stance with the rest of the forum. But it is what it is.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

groundgrid

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 03:53:12 PM »
My goal is to have the appropriate changes made so that adding something like a Giselle trigger doesn't result in a violation of the law.
Here’s the real issue: when your religion is government, and government is god, you cannot tolerate any other God before it
(The reason why Liberal/Progressives have waged a war on Christianity)

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 11:20:36 PM »
Personally I have no use for a bump stop . I do think it would be fun to shoot at the range or out back if you had a place to shoot it . I personally have a hard time agreeing to outlaw something that was used 1x in history for such a horrific crime. If it’s truly about keeping us idiots “safe” from the horrible things that cause us so much danger they should outlaw cars, cigarettes, knives, drugs, icy roads, cell phones, and on and on and on .. these things all cause FAR more deaths than any bump stop ever made . But wait while we have a major problem with drugs in society , our great saviors actually want to make some drugs legal !!! I guess there goes their argument about keeping the masses safer... but then again it’s all about control and $$ .

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 01:50:08 AM »
I have no desire to have one of these things.  To me just a waste of ammo.
But some might like to have these for fun.

Some might think that by banning these things and jailing owners of them even if they do no harm with them that we are "throwing a bone" to the anti gun crowd. This is a dangerous mindset.  They will never be satisfied no wonder what we give them. Give them nothing. Don't let them divide us. 
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 10:22:50 PM »
Rep. Danny Short had some very good comments on this bill.

"These accessories have been around for many years and some people do own them for recreational shooting".
He goes on to say "As it is currently written, this bill, upon its enactment, would instantly make and Delawarean who possesses one of these devices guilty of a class E felony. Additionally, there is no provision in the bill regarding what protocols exiting owners of bump stocks and trigger cranks should follow. Are they to turn them in? Will they be shielded from charges when the do so? Are they to be compensated for the loss of their property? The bill is silent on these issues. I believe the legislation is well-intended, but there need to be some discussion had, and answers given, to the substantial questions it raises" 

I totally agree with his comments plus as has been said any new gun control bill that passes just give more fuel to pass more.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

lynch

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 08:51:54 AM »
 I also give less than a hoot about these devices, and don't mind them being regulated to the shooting range or competitions, but don't see the need to ban them.
As the bill stands, if you get busted for a bump stock, you are a felon and cannot legally own any gun. Bloomberg probably payed (..er, I mean lobbied) for this gun grab legislation.
DE ccdw
PA  LTCF
Utah CFP
NRA member

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2017, 02:39:46 PM »
It's a good thing that no one remembers that you don'y even need a special stock to bump fire. Many years ago I was a Primary Marksmanship Instructor (PMI) in the Marines. I also provided instruction on proper grip management to avoid accidentally cycling the weapon. I would even demonstrate how that can happen. So there's that.
Proud resident of Kent County DE

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2017, 08:46:42 PM »
Many guns , both long and handguns suffer problems with 'limp wristing', from double cycling to misfires, jambs etc.  And I may be wrong, but I thought bump stocks only fit certain types of stocks????

Bill
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

Tandem

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 03:03:02 AM »
  The primary issue here is that this is NOT "a Bump Stock ban".  It bans any accessory or modification that "is designed or functions to accelerate the rate of fire".  That could be construed to mean anything up to including 20-30 round magazines, any accessory trigger that reduces trigger pull weight or reset or similar modifications.  I don't think the law even makes reference to "bump stocks" - either generically or by trade name.  This would leave this law open for liberal interpretation.
  "Bump Stocks" are a reckless novelty item and I have little or no use for them.  However, I hold my constitutional rights very dear and am unwilling to give Delaware's often liberal judges a wide playing field to interpret the intent of this law.
NRA Life Member
DE/PA CCDW Permit Holder

NormH3

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 12:11:50 PM »
I think she is just posturing. Next year is election year.

NormH3

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2017, 01:03:14 PM »
This guy needs to be banned. He fires a semi automatic as if it were an automatic weapon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP4D6WRJN5g

« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 01:05:52 PM by NormH3 »

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2017, 10:48:12 PM »
I have no doubt it will pass the one party legislature, even if we barricade them.  And elections here have little meaning, with so many 'gimmees' in NCC.

I do agree that the wording will affect us all, as designed,  if it passes this way.

Bill
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

Kilroy08

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2017, 01:54:24 PM »
Even though I am a longtime member of the NRA, a conservative and a CC permit holder, I have to say, I see no good use or need for "bump-stocks" or similar modifications to Semi-automatic guns. It turns them into
machine-guns, and they are already illegal.

As of now I would like to see Delaware HB 300 passed . This may not be a popuar stance with the rest of the forum. But it is what it is.

Respectfully, that is the wrong attitude to have. Give an inch, pretty soon you'll run out of inches. Ask Neville Chamberlain how well appeasement worked for him.

While I, too, have no interest in bump stocks, it's a free country. You want to buy one and blow through ammo just for the sake of it? Go for it. Who am I to stifle someone's fun as long as it's not a danger to others?

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2017, 07:41:34 PM »
It is not an "attitude", it is an opinion.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun