Author Topic: Why do you carry?  (Read 14824 times)

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
Why do you carry?
« on: November 16, 2009, 09:39:51 PM »
When someone ask you why you carry a gun what is your reply? Me I explain that with the rise in crime and the poor response from Police I want to come home to my family every night, and if they don't believe me about the rise in crime I tell them to just look at the local section of the News Journal over the course of a week.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
Re: Why do you carry?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 11:04:51 PM »
Simple. I reply that I refuse to be a victim

The supreme court has determined that the police have no obligation to protect you from violent crime.  As one women whose husband was killed in a gun free zone put it "The police will get there in just enough time to put up the crime scene tape and take pictures of your loved one."

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 03:15:45 PM »
The supreme court has determined that the police have no obligation to protect you from violent crime. 

Warren VS DC.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 01:02:59 PM »
Warren V dc....wow interesting and scary.
Here's a reason,Peace thru superior firepower!! Or like the great sgt Hartman said to private pyle when he found his footlocker unlocked, if it wasn't for d&%kheads like you there wouldn't be any crime in this world.:)
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 02:14:35 AM »
Here's a reason...last night I took my wife and 4 year old to the dunkin donuts on rt 40 near peoples plaza to get donuts for this morning. On the way we made a stop that took alittle longer than expected. We arrive at the DD and the door is locked, I turn around to see a state trooper approaching the door saying that it would be closed for awhile. They had been robbed a few minutes before we arrived. It was a spur of the moment trip and I was sitting around watching tv in sweat pants. We put on our shoes and left, me leaving my gun at home. All day I've been thinking what if we didn't make the side trip!! Won't happen again.

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 09:19:52 PM »
Wow talking about close calls.

Aries

• DSF Training
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 10:49:33 PM »
Don't let this be YOU!

Carry your gun.

I admit that I sometimes get lazy and don't carry when I leave the house. I'll give myself the old "I'm just running to the store real quick" excuse or come up with another reason why I don't need to have a gun with me.

This really hit home last week when a gentleman in my neighborhood was murdered on his morning walk. For those of you in the No. VA area, I am sure you heard about this. Basically a gentleman in his late 50's, former Green Beret and concealed carry permit holder was walking with his wife in Loudoun county VA, about as crime free, upscale neighborhood as you could find (Loudoun county is the 2nd richest county in the U.S. right behind neighboring Fairfax Co.) when he was attacked by several thugs for unknown reasons. He was beaten to death and his wife was so severely beaten she has not yet been able to speak and was in critical condition last I heard. It was around 5:30am on a walking path alongside a major road and right alongside homes. In fact the police were called because people in those homes could hear the fighting. The police arrived to find him dead and his wife on the opposite side of the 4 lane road where she had run to escape to the assault before she collapsed in the back yard of a home after scaling a 4 foot fence. Police are saying they have no leads, no motive and it appears to be completely random. It happened about 2 blocks from my house. No one knows what exactly went down but I have to believe that if he had been carrying his weapon there is a chance things would have ended up differently.

So, I am going to stop making excuses and carry my weapon every time when I leave the home so that my wife doesn't have to explain to my kids why daddy is not coming home. It just goes to show that there is no such thing as a "bad neighborhood", if it can happen here, it can happen any where. 

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348191   

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 02:01:03 AM »

I am GLAD you took the time to look it up.  It is scary!
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 03:43:59 PM »

I am GLAD you took the time to look it up.  It is scary!
I sent the link to my wife and she read and really got angry about it. Between that and the little scare at DD this week she bought her first gun last night.

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 01:18:44 AM »
Wish I could convince my wife to just go shooting with me.

Aries

• DSF Training
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 10:29:20 PM »
Sometimes starting with a air pistol at some clay targets or plastic cups is a good way to break the ice.

Just a little something that I've used in the past.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 08:25:54 PM »

Dont know where you shoot at, but I have a S&W 22A.  Good lil gun to teach her with.
PM me if you are interested.  I could meet you at Omm if you shoot there.  If you want
a quieter place, could meet at DSPC.

Hank

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 07:02:48 PM »
Hi everyone.
All the qute answers are taken, but I didn't see this one yet, I carry a handgun because a cop Is to heavy to carry around. So much for the qute ones.
I feel totaly naked with out my weapon on, no joke, the person that lives next door to us wanted his CCW and after jumping through all the hoops and paying close to $500.00 when all said and done, he very seldom If ever carrys his weapon? He can't bring It to work and or leave It in his car in there parking lot, but other times he can but does not, His choice!!! I did ask him why not, and I got the, It will probely happen at home than any place else, and I told him that one can not pick and choose when or were you will need you weapon, If you could pick a place, you would pick the police station!!!

You can lead a horse to drink, but you can't make him water??? Some people have ask me, Do you want to kill some one? and when I say no, they will say than why carry a gun, and I will answer, because I don't want to get killed. I don't for the life of me understand the mind set, they think because you have a weapon you will use It, I try to tell them, you have a car, why arent you out on the road running over people??? and you get that look. I have a pocket knife, does that make me Jack the ripper??? I have never see a weapon, all by Itself get up off a table or anyother place and go out and kill someone, or anything. Never. If you have please tell me all about It. So why I carry a gun!!!

Semper Fi all. Hank.

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 09:50:19 PM »
Hi everyone.
I feel totaly naked with out my weapon on, no joke, the person that lives next door to us wanted his CCW and ... very seldom If ever carrys his weapon?

Oddly, I feel the same way when I am not carrying.  My ex said that I was paranoid, but she also felt much safer having me around (especially in public).

As far as people who get their permit and then don't use it, well -- it's their loss.  I've noticed that people who aren't "gun people" may get a gun, maybe even with the intention of carrying, and then find that it's too much work.  And some "gun people" find that there is a difference between "owning" a gun and "carrying" that gun.  I mean, I've even heard the "well, I'll carry it if I need it."  NEED it???  If I think that I NEED it, I think that I'll just try to stay home.     
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

Aries

• DSF Training
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 07:01:54 PM »
When someone ask you why you carry a gun what is your reply?
Because I can!