Author Topic: Why do you carry?  (Read 14825 times)

norwood

Re: Why do you carry?
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2010, 03:38:10 AM »
i can not carry yet. but i liked this guys reason for carrying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gIHDHZf1TA

Grunt4Life

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2010, 01:45:19 PM »
Hello to all,

New to this forum and although I don't carry yet, thought I'd share why I want to carry. I actually hadn't planned on carrying or owning a gun since leaving the Marine Corps. Although I missed firing weapons (13 yrs infantry) I figure those years were behind me since I was not in to hunting or anything like that.

"Condensed version" Don't want to bore you with every second.

My wife and I own a business and a few weeks back 2 young men entered or store 5 minutes prior to closing. One guy (#1) starts asking the price of items while the other (#2) is just walking around... LQQking from floor to ceiling. The "red flag" goes up and I begin preparing... remove safety from silent alarm, send wife to rear area (this only takes a look and she reacts), stage a few knives etc... Guy 1 then walks away turns his back, places the hood from his coat and begins to open jacket. I quickly place one hand under counter to hit alarm if needed, the other under register where there is a knife (I know don't bring a knife to a gun fight). I then ask him to remove hood and what can I get him. He react a little slow, so I'm thinking it's on and prepare myself. Guy 2 walks past him and says let's get something and they do order but then go sit down and continue to scope the place out. To ensure there would be no quick getaway, I came from behind the counter and locked the doors (VERY difficult to unlock, if you don't know how).

Now even though all went well, it was enough to get me thinking! I went out and bought my first pistol, started going to the range and never realized how much I missed it. Thought all would be good and I would keep the weapon at business and open carry as we arrive/depart business. Come to find out that Dover doesn't allow OC THAT SUCKS! So I'm now getting my paperwork done for CCW.

With all the cutbacks and current economy, you would think law enforcement would welcome any solution that might reduce their workload (by lower potential crime). Criminals get all the weapons they want, while honest working Americans have to jump through hoops. this seems a little backwards. I know I'm preaching to the choir but that's my right, just as it is to carry a firearm if I deem necessary and have no record of harming the public.

Sorry for the long post.
Sean

Grunt4Life
"Semper Fi"

Lest I keep my complacent way, I must remember somewhere out there a person died for me today, As long as there must be war, I ask and I must answer was I worth dying for today?"
- Eleanor Roosevelt.

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2010, 07:51:22 PM »
Sean that sounds like a pretty scary incident and I'm glad no one was hurt and things did not go bad.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.