Author Topic: Upcoming DNREC Public Hearings- Firearm Possesion on State Lands  (Read 3848 times)

Trapper

I received an email from Senator Dave Lawson today, I’m sure you did also.

Upcoming Hearings propose new regulations for firearms possession within Delaware state parks, wildlife areas, and state forests

The Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control (DNREC) and the Delaware Department of Agriculture (DDA) have proposed new regulations expanding the scope of legal possession of firearms within Delaware's state parks, state wildlife areas and state forests. Both agencies submitted the proposed regulations for publication in the Feb. 1 Monthly Register in response to a Dec. 7, 2017 Delaware Supreme Court decision that overturned a Superior Court ruling and expanded the scope of visitors' ability to possess firearms in Delaware's state parks under DNREC's authority and state forests which are under the DDA's jurisdiction.

Following the Court's decision to invalidate existing regulations limiting firearms in those state lands, DNREC and DDA earlier issued interim regulations which went into effect on Dec. 26, 2017. The interim regulations, issued by Orders of the DNREC and DDA Secretaries, respect the State Constitutional provisions on firearms cited by the Supreme Court in its ruling, by implementing the State's interest in ensuring public safety in a less restrictive manner. Interim regulations are effective for 120 days, with the possibility of a 60-day extension, for a total of 180 days before new regulations must be promulgated.

The proposed regulations by DNREC and DDA, pursuant to the Supreme Court ruling, state that visitors may legally possess firearms, as allowed by Delaware law, in state parks, wildlife areas and forests unless they are prohibited by law due to a past conviction for a violent crime, active Protection from Abuse Order, or mental health commitment. This would include, for example, trails, unguarded beaches, parking lots, and vehicles. The proposed regulations prohibit firearms only in certain public facilities and designated areas such as park offices, visitor centers, nature centers, bathhouses, stadiums and facilities while used for events, museums, zoos, stables, educational facilities, dormitories, playgrounds, camping areas, swimming pools, guarded beaches, and water parks. Proposed regulations call for these designated areas to be identified by appropriate signage.

The proposed regulations allow holders of valid Delaware concealed-carry permits to carry within parks, including designated areas, provided only that the permit be produced upon request. The regulations would further allow active-duty law and qualified retired law enforcement officers to carry anywhere within the parks and other areas affected by Supreme Court decision.

The proposed regulations can be found on the DNREC website at: http://www.dnrec.delaware.gov/Admin/Documents/DNREC-DDA-Proposed-regulations-for-firearms-possession-in-state-parks-and-forests.pdf.

A public hearing on the proposed regulations will be held March 12 at 6 p.m. in DNREC's Richardson & Robbins Auditorium, 89 Kings Highway, Dover, DE 19901. Public workshops on the proposed regulations will be held in February in all three counties in advance of the March 12 public hearing. The dates, times and locations of the workshops are:
New Castle County: Thursday, Feb. 15, 6 p.m., DNREC offices, 391 Lukens Drive, New Castle, DE 19720
Kent County: Tuesday, Feb. 20, 6 p.m., DNREC R&R Auditorium, 89 Kings Highway, Dover, DE 19901
Sussex County: Thursday, Feb. 22, 6 p.m., Sussex Central High School Auditorium, 26026 Patriots Way, Georgetown, DE 19947
Esophageal Atresia Awareness

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
Re: Upcoming DNREC Public Hearings- Firearm Possesion on State Lands
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 08:55:52 PM »
It looks like they have changed this from the earlier "emergency" regulation in that you don't have to show your license to carry unless asked.

Looks like they are trying to confine open carriers to certain areas.

Looks like out-of-state residents, even those who have a reciprocal license are not allowed to carry unless blessed by the director.   This is problematic for the Division  as state law recognizes reciprocal licenses to be valid on an equal basis to state residents licenses.
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

JonathanG

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 10:54:38 PM »
It’s problematic that they are requiring someone to produce ID when demanded simply because they are carrying a firearm. If a person isn’t suspected of criminal activity, and there isn’t an articulable reason for stopping a person, the individual ought be able to move about unmolested by governmental interference.

SteveMiller

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 12:06:04 AM »
I guess I am wondering why we need any rules beyond that create any more restriction than every other place in the state?   Do people really behave that different in state parks?  I think we need to start there. Totally ridiculous and I question the authority of any rules they come up with.   
Steve Miller
DSSA
NRA Life Member
Gun Owners of America

JonathanG

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 12:09:28 AM »
I guess I am wondering why we need any rules beyond that create any more restriction than every other place in the state?   Do people really behave that different in state parks?  I think we need to start there. Totally ridiculous and I question the authority of any rules they come up with.   

I agree.

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 09:10:20 PM »
"The proposed regulations prohibit firearms only in certain public facilities and designated areas such as park offices, visitor centers, nature centers, bathhouses, stadiums and facilities while used for events, museums, zoos, stables, educational facilities, dormitories, playgrounds, camping areas, swimming pools, guarded beaches, and water parks."

I don't usually open carry but I must object to such anti 2A action on that community.

Look. If I walk into a bank with a hoodie and sunglasses on the employees will stop me with plenty of justification.  If someone intentionally creates a similar atmosphere anywhere I can understand LE asking questions.  BUT, for the most part, law abiding folks almost always present themselves as law abiding and should not be harassed.

As for concealed.  No one has ever seen that disgusting tattoo on my &%#*%@ and never will. Same with my firearm.
Proud resident of Kent County DE

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 10:33:56 PM »
I go in all those places and no one even knows....that's why the call it 'concealed carry'.   Why shucks, I've even been in TGIFridays with it.......didn't stay for din though.

Bill
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 11:30:17 PM »
The restrictions on open carry are clearly contrary to the Supreme Court ruling as the court reiterated the 2014 ruling that open carry was a fundamental right and even found it bizarre that it is perfectly legal to open carry in Rodney Square but against the rules to do so in a rural pArk or forest. 
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 12:28:38 PM »
Proving you have to be mentally fit to carry, but not to govern.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 01:40:08 PM »
👍👍

greymas

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2018, 02:14:36 PM »

Well said!