Author Topic: Action pistol - questions....  (Read 10362 times)

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
Action pistol - questions....
« on: February 13, 2018, 12:48:36 PM »
The other day I received a PM asking for more info on AP.  Here is my reply.

Absolutely!

1st time you shoot it must qualify @ 530. 5 shots are YOUR PACE on a sheet of paper. NOT HARD.

Starts @ 6PM.  Cost members $3 nonmembers $5.

3 different course / night.  Need strong side holster & 2 magazines.  Usually shoot less then a box of ammo.
IF the course takes more than that, you will be notified a week a head of time. (FBI qualifier 60 rds - YES we've shot it)

Most start open, I start concealed. (Want to train for other side of the walls....)  If shooter does not have a
permit Delaware honors, MUST start OC (or it's a FELONY).

Shot courses in bright light, low light, no light, and by flashlight.

Most of the COF (course of fire) taken from news.  CO movie theater (23yds back seated dark range except for movie screen)
Pulse night club low light.  Have old car doors to simulate car jacking.  If cover is involved, MUST keep as much of your
body behind it or a 3 sec penalty.  Have shot 4 inch balls on a rope.  Now swinging target.  Bowling pins too (on a rope).
Some COF are head to head (you VS another shooter).  If you are shooting H2H and there is movement, it's side to side ONLY.
If it's a 1 person COF and movement movement could be forward, backward, S2S.

IT'S NOT SHOOTING FROM A BOOTH, 1 RD/SECOND, 10 RDS MAX.....

We have 2 week cycles. 2weeks 3 pistol COF the 2 weeks - 2pistol/ 1 carbine.
Carbine .22 or pistol cal carbine OK.  .223 NOT-ok (noise level)  1 guy shoots 300BLK SUB SONIC.

Look at dspclub.org calendar & AP  624 Moores Ln, New Castle

Grab your range bag & a box of ammo and join us tonight.

Hope to see you there!!!  INTRODUCE YOURSELF TO ME PLEASE!

****  NOT in my reply   ****

If it is cold out, dress WARM!  We are in a block building with several fans sucking the air out.
We shoot with a WIND CHILL.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 01:11:22 PM by Radnor »
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
Re: Action pistol - questions....
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 12:54:14 PM »
Here is what we did last night.  It was carbine, so last COF was with a long gun. (Some shot it w/ pistol)
Carbine is PISTOL cal only. NO .223.

1st COF H2H post it notes.  Ammo requirements AS NEEDED. Shoot blue post-it top to bottom
then yellow top to bottom.  7 yds.  Winner get a zero. Loser 20 points.
It's like golf -
LOW score wins.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 03:21:45 PM by Radnor »
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 12:59:36 PM »
COF 2 Pizza robery

Starting @ 8yds 2 close targets (only 1 in photo. started taking down COF before I could get photo)
2 mags 1 @ 6rds, 1@4.
Horn sounds get rid of pizza. shoot target on right (MISSING) 3X chest 2 hands. shoot target on left 2X
both hands.  Then weak hand disabled.  While moving to cover on left 1 shot in left target strong hand only.
Get behind cover. reload strong hand only shoot other 2 targets 2x each from behind cover strong hand only.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 01:03:03 PM »
3rd COF carbine. 16rds @ 50ft.  Reduced targets @ 25yds = 100.
Start @ 20yds. drop on plywood (ground) @ 50 ft.  Shoot each target
2X left to right. Repeat.  Scoring in black is a hit.  Miss target 5 pts each.

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 10:48:33 PM »
This explains why you wake the camp up at 6:30..... :)

Bill
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 11:59:44 AM »
Here is a PDF of the COF last night.  The photo is from COF #3.  Behind the door is a BG (you can see the ones on either side of the door
(left close & right 5yds back)

A fun night.

COF 3  Walking towards the 2 guys on left. 3 shots each.  Go around cone on left.   Get into room shut the door.
Shoot target just outside the door 5X through door.  Open door see target on right 3X. Step out see target on left 3X.
Go in front of right cone and back up to rear cone.  Give the target on right some love 3X chest & 1 head.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 12:04:52 PM by Radnor »

topper

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 09:16:50 PM »
I've been to several. They are always fun. I hope to go again soon.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms…disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes…

USAF Vietnam Era Veteran
Army National Guard
Civil Air Patrol
NRA Life Time Member
DE CCW
PA CCW

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 12:45:29 PM »
Most COF require a box or less of ammo.  Last night was an exception.  We shot the FBI qualifier which requires 60 rounds.
Shot it in 5 stages.  Distance varied from 5 yds to 23 yds..  I'll have to get from John the list describing the stages.

Time limits ranged from 3 seconds to 15.    Stage 1 was one handed shooting.  The others you could use 2 hands.

Stage 1 was @ 5yds.
3 seconds to sweep cover garment away, draw, and fire 3 rds in 3 seconds. Strong hand.  Had to do it 2X.
Then in 6 seconds, sweep, draw, 3rds strong hand switch to weak hand a 3 more rds.

There was a sweep, draw, 4rds, reload 4rds in 8 seconds.

It was a fun night.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 05:53:42 PM »
Sorry, but I've been a little lax in telling you guys/gals about the different COF we had.

This one was H2H.  This photo shows right shooter only.  On the LEFT cardboard
plates numbered 1,3,5,A,C, & E.  Right cardboard 2,4,6,B,D, & F.  Just before shooting
someone assigned numbers or letters.  Left cardboard shot from left side of barricade.
This shooter was on the right cardboard.  MUST keep MOST of the body behind cover.

Then reload and shoot in reverse order.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 05:58:22 PM by Radnor »

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 06:05:18 PM »
2nd COF 4 BGs come out of store and start shooting.  Only cover is a parking bumper.

Shoot 1st 2 BGs 3X each Reload. Repeat for last 2 BGs.  Shot @ 23yds.

With (myself included) the VW sticks out over the parking bumpers.....

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2018, 06:08:29 PM »
3rd COF.  No alimony.

Start @ 7yds while backing to the left 2 shots in center & left targets.
After the 4th shot advance to 5yd line on the right.  Shoot brown target in
head she drops (pull rope attached to it) and 2 in the one behind her.

del elec

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 08:08:38 PM »
3rd COF.  No alimony.

If I recall correctly, the scenario is ex wife (brown target) coming out of the courthouse when the action starts. After engaging the first two targets, you murder the ex wife (no alimony) to get to the other target. As much fun action pistol is, I personally think that this COF doesn't belong. There are so many other courses that could be run where you don't have to murder a hostage.

[]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
------)_'_\ * (
"----------\ * \
"-----------\_*_\
Life NRA
Shooters Choice
Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club
DE CCDW
PA LTCF
MD Wear & Carry

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2018, 09:02:46 PM »

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2018, 10:47:14 PM »
3rd COF.  No alimony.

If I recall correctly, the scenario is ex wife (brown target) coming out of the courthouse when the action starts. After engaging the first two targets, you murder the ex wife (no alimony) to get to the other target. As much fun action pistol is, I personally think that this COF doesn't belong. There are so many other courses that could be run where you don't have to murder a hostage.

That was the description about five years ago.  After I fired the course, Shrek commented "you missed the ex-wife". Told him the miss was intentional.  Sent him an e-mail suggesting an alternate description that accomplished the same drill.  Comes to close to domestic abuse for my comfort. 
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

topper

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2018, 07:42:43 PM »
3rd COF.  No alimony.

That was the description about five years ago.  After I fired the course, Shrek commented "you missed the ex-wife". Told him the miss was intentional.  Sent him an e-mail suggesting an alternate description that accomplished the same drill.  Comes to close to domestic abuse for my comfort. 

I'm on good terms with my ex, but I still thought it was funny.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms…disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes…

USAF Vietnam Era Veteran
Army National Guard
Civil Air Patrol
NRA Life Time Member
DE CCW
PA CCW