Author Topic: Lancaster County Will stop Issuing Non Resident Permits  (Read 31677 times)

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
Re: Lancaster County Will stop Issuing Non Resident Permits
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2018, 12:59:51 PM »
Went to Lancaster, PA. Court House yesterday, applied for and received my non resident permit in 20 minutes total time. It I valid in all 67 PA. counties.

I asked why they are not going to issue non residents permits after June 1, 2018. The answer is that the new sheriff is not confident in the system that should notify them that a non resident  permit holder committed an offense that would require that their permit be invalidated. They were very helpful and friendly people.

They are trying to get the word out that if you are within two months of having your PA non resident permit expire to come in asap and renew.

After June 1 they suggested to go to York county for a non resident permit.

Thanks for a very useful post.
I looked at the York County Sheriff firearms Web page. It appears that the best strategy there is to mail in the application, and then pick it up in person after it's approved.
"Processing time is typically less than 1 week. However, under state law the background checks can take up to 45 days. Once your application is approved our office will contact you. We will notify you via email or phone."
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2018, 02:09:54 PM »
OGG,

Did you look into Berks Co (Reading Airport)?  5 years ago it was in/out.  That's where I'm headed in a few months.

For me going to York Co takes me into Maryland and add 30 miles & 25 minutes to the drive.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 02:16:50 PM by Radnor »
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2018, 02:35:08 PM »
Went to Lancaster, PA. Court House yesterday ...

I asked why they are not going to issue non residents permits after June 1, 2018. The answer is that the new sheriff is not confident in the system that should notify them that a non resident  permit holder committed an offense that would require that their permit be invalidated.
I’m not a big fan of interpretations such as this, as they can eventually lead to “well, you haven’t committed a crime, yet, but you could — so therefore you shouldn’t be able to carry a gun, or even own a gun.”
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

CorBon

• Life Member
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2018, 02:49:52 PM »
I looked at the York County Sheriff ."
Nearly twenty years ago, I went to the York office.  Back then, you had to drop off the stuff in person, so that they could take your photo, and then drive back.  On the phone they mentioned that it was possible that it could be done that day, but not to count on it.  They got it done so quickly that I didn’t even leave the counter!  It can be a hike, though, but it’s possible to hook it in with a trip to Lancaster, or That Fish Place, or something else.  Last time in Lancaster, I was going to a concert and just went early enough to run in and get it renewed.

Whichever place is chosen, it’s probably a good idea to call the day before and get an idea about what is going on.
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2018, 06:04:51 AM »
I have 2 years left on my PA non-resident permit.  Hopefully, that will change.
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

Anaconda

Getting licensed in PA (Lancaster stated they won’t be accepting soon)
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2018, 08:49:01 PM »
https://co.lancaster.pa.us/372/Firearms-Unit

DE CCW holder here and I was planning to head to Lancaster county to apply for a non resident license.  But it appears effective 6/1/18 they will no longer process non resident permits and all prior issued permits will expire ?  Does PA only license for the respective county in which you apply?

What is another county I can try?  I live in Kent County.

Thanks

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
What is another county I can try?  I live in Kent County.

Thanks

Merged here.

Short answer call Berks Co.
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2018, 01:01:35 PM »
I'm pretty sure "If you currently possess a Lancaster County Conceal Carry Permit and you are not a resident of Lancaster County, PA, your permit will no longer be valid upon expiration." means:
If you go up there before 6/1/2018, they will issue you an out-of-state LTCF that expires in five years, and it will no longer be valid after the five years.

So, head on up there and get your (last?) same-day permit.

Edited to add: My Lancaster County LTCF expires in May 2020, and I expect it will be valid until that date even after (if?) Lancaster County stops issuing out-of-state permits.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 01:04:02 PM by oldgraygeek »
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2018, 02:02:32 PM »
Lancaster has gone back and forth with this in the past couple of years.  Hopefully, they will change their mind again. 
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

CorBon

• Life Member
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2018, 03:12:04 PM »

Edited to add: My Lancaster County LTCF expires in May 2020, and I expect it will be valid until that date even after (if?) Lancaster County stops issuing out-of-state permits.

I’m fairly certain that the current permits will remain valid. The question that I am starting to develop involves “renewals” — which may become an issue.  On one of the Pennsylvania boards, there are some thoughts on a Commonwealth-wide press on not issuing NEW permits, but continuing to issue RENEWALS.  This could become a problem if our permits expire after June of this year, and we switch counties.  Remember, each permit is county-specific, and when you apply in a new county — it is a new permit, and not a renewal.  

I haven’t followed up on that thought, though.

del elec

• Life Member
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2018, 10:51:42 PM »
Wandered up to Lancaster this morning. In and out in 20 minutes as usual. Let them know how much we Delawareans appreciate how we all have been treated in the Sheriff's office, and that we all will miss coming up there. They said things are always changing, so don't hesitate to call before coming up.
[]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
------)_'_\ * (
"----------\ * \
"-----------\_*_\
Life NRA
Shooters Choice
Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club
DE CCDW
PA LTCF
MD Wear & Carry

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2018, 08:41:22 PM »
Just received this from the Berks Co. sheriff.  Same sheriff in office 5 years ago.

Guess where I will be going for my renewal?

EDITED to add the application.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 01:35:33 PM by Radnor »

robberbaron

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2018, 11:38:23 PM »
I went to the Reading airport 2 weeks ago to renew. Same place I went 5 years ago. In and out in 20 minutes.

ThePixelated

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2018, 09:19:55 PM »
My co-worker just told me about this. I've made my notes and will check back to see if anything changes by January 2019 (when I can renew my PA Non-Res permit). Also made note where to go if I can't go to Lancaster. Delaware Co, then York, then Berks.

I might try Chester County (way closer) since my father seems to now some sheriff in there, but I'm going to make a big deal about it. I'll have to ask him to ask his sheriff friend and see what happens.

Whatever. I got time.

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2018, 11:04:37 PM »
My co-worker just told me about this. I've made my notes and will check back to see if anything changes by January 2019 (when I can renew my PA Non-Res permit). Also made note where to go if I can't go to Lancaster. Delaware Co, then York, then Berks.

I might try Chester County (way closer) since my father seems to now some sheriff in there, but I'm going to make a big deal about it. I'll have to ask him to ask his sheriff friend and see what happens.

Whatever. I got time.

Chester County does not accept out of state applications. 
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.