Author Topic: HB366 "Safe Storage of Firearms" Add another one to the list  (Read 1964 times)

groundgrid

• Life Member
HB366 "Safe Storage of Firearms" Add another one to the list
« on: April 12, 2018, 09:33:19 PM »
Our good friend Senator Townsend has again managed to sponsor another ridiculous bill:

http://legis.delaware.gov/BillDetail?LegislationId=26476

As is usually the case, this bill enacts punishments for gun owners and not those who commit crimes.

According to the bill's wording, should someone steal a gun from your home, you could be charged with either a class B or class A misdemeanor.
Here’s the real issue: when your religion is government, and government is god, you cannot tolerate any other God before it
(The reason why Liberal/Progressives have waged a war on Christianity)

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
Re: HB366 "Safe Storage of Firearms" Add another one to the list
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 10:10:45 PM »
Typical Democrat  Dweeb!
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 11:14:25 PM »
All of my guns are stored properly....throughout the house and loaded.  Otherwise I could have a bucket of rocks laying around for protection.  Has this guy ever read the Constitution of the USA or Delaware??????
Bill
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

Packing_Nine

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 11:24:38 PM »
I'm on the fence over this one. I typically disagree with Townsend's position, but I have a number of children of various ages in the household. I keep everything under lock & key except the one I carry on my person.

This bill is short, direct, and to the point. I believe any firearm owner ought to keep the weapons secured regardless. While I don't support Townsend's agenda, I won't be ruffled if this one passes.

MarkB

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 03:51:29 AM »
Reading the text of the bill.  It says it is a defense of the charge if someone breaks into your house and gets the firearm OR if you have secured the firearm in a locked box, with a trigger lock, or it is in a place where a reasonable person would believe it to be secure.  It is not unsafe storage if you are carrying the firearm or if the firearm is under the control of you or an authorized user.

This is a p.i.a. bill and obviously it doesn't apply to Democrats (reasonable person).
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

groundgrid

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 04:54:34 AM »
I would be OK with the bill if it included assurances that a firearm that is in your home or vehicle is considered to be properly stored should it be appropriated by someone who does not have permission to do so or who commits a criminal act in the process of obtaining it.

For example:
You have no children in your home & leave a rifle that you are cleaning or fixing on your work bench.
If a criminal breaks into your locked home, could you be charged?
If a gun is secured by leaving it in a adequately closed & locked building would this be sufficient?

I'm not really worried in my own personal case. Our dog will rip you to shreds before you get anywhere close to the guns. 

Adding a line such as this would fix it:
"A firearm stored within a locked building in which there are no minor children or prohibited persons present will be considered to be adequately secured. Furthermore, a firearm stored in a locked vehicle & not in a visible location will be considered to be adequately secured."

Here’s the real issue: when your religion is government, and government is god, you cannot tolerate any other God before it
(The reason why Liberal/Progressives have waged a war on Christianity)

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 12:19:45 PM »
Well have the email program cranked up again today.....

Dear Mr. Mitchell,
(CC: Rep. Spiegelman)

Hope this finds you well.

I do not believe this Bill is significantly different than 1456.

But, what you could amend this Bill with is an affirmative defense if a firearm is stolen
from a locked vehicle.  Since we cannot have a firearm in certain places we'd have to
store it temporarily out of sight in a vehicle.

Looking forward to your reply.  Also, still waiting for your reply to my email RE: magazine ban.
(I'm sure I will get a reply from Rep. Spiegelman.  I usually do and he's not my Representative UNFORTUNATELY).

Radnor
Address of my rock.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.