Author Topic: Man walking with AR-15 near Philly causes alarm, police say  (Read 2254 times)

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
Man walking with AR-15 near Philly causes alarm, police say

https://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/2018/05/01/man-walking-ar-15-abington-near-philadelphia/568545002/
Police say a man who has been reported carrying an AR-15 in Abington Township, just north of Philadelphia, has a right to do so, although the township police chief said in a letter to residents that his actions had caused unnecessary alarm.

The department released a letter from Chief Patrick Molloy on Monday, in which he said police had received multiple reports of a suspicious person with an AR-15 slung over his back in the area of North Hills, Ardsley, Glenside and the Abington Shopping Center.

The chief said the man may be attempting to draw officers into an encounter over his Second Amendment right to carry the weapon in public.
"All of our officers are well aware of this passive-aggressive tactic, as they have been videotaped during at least one encounter with him," Molloy said. He said the man's actions were lawful, but had no apparent legitimate purpose and had caused unnecessary alarm and taken up police resources.

Molloy said he understood people's frustration and concern, but urged people not to take action and not to speak to the man, but to call police if they feel threatened.

"Our Department will continue to balance our duty to protect the 2nd Amendment rights of this individual with our duty to provide public safety to all of our residents," the chief wrote. He said police were continuing to investigate.
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
Re: Man walking with AR-15 near Philly causes alarm, police say
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 08:39:00 PM »
Yo-yos like this just give ammunition (no pun intended) to our opponents. 
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 09:14:11 PM »
Being annoying rather than useful.
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 12:37:41 AM »
News reports say he was involuntarily committed and his Rifle confiscated. Supposedly threatened to shoot up a school.  This judicial process is called a “302” in Pennsylvania and will bar him from having a gun indefinitely.  
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 01:46:39 AM by Clarence »
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 01:46:23 AM »
Having a firearm is like having two sets of external genitalia: if you make a point of showing off either of them to strangers, nothing good will happen.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 04:35:13 PM »
Having a firearm is like having two sets of external genitalia: if you make a point of showing off either of them to strangers, nothing good will happen.
Thanks OGG you got a laugh out of me on that one .