Author Topic: SB163 is Active  (Read 6081 times)

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
Re: SB163 is Active
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2018, 01:58:19 PM »
Just received this....

Radnor,

Thanks for the email; I saw your post on DGR!

I'm a firm NO on suspension of rules and on the bill if suspension is successful.

Will I see you up there tomorrow?

-Brian

To which I replied:

Thank you for the support!!!!

I asked for the day off.  Boss is giving me BS about the day off (he does NOT know why - I just asked for the day).

Radnor

BTW, THANK YOU for taking the time to reply even though I'm not in your voting district.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Checkride71

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2018, 04:20:28 PM »
Radnor, I'm making the assumption that the "Brian" you mentioned who had responded to your email was none other than my own State Senator Brian Pettyjohn. Several days ago, I had emailed Brian as well, asking him not to support a change in the rules allowing SB163 to be brought to the floor for a vote and if it was successful, that he vote against of the bill. I was quite surprised when not more than an hour after I sent my email, Brian called me on my cell phone, updated me on the current status of activities regarding SB163, and assured me as well that he would not support a change in the rules that would allow the bill to be presented to the floor for a vote, and if it did make it to the floor, he would definitely be voting against its passage.  It's comforting to know that at least in my district we have a State Senator who understands that these so called anti gun measures are nothing more than "feel good" measures that will do nothing to address the real issues of gun crime. The mental state of the individual who pulls the trigger. Criminals will always be able to gain access to a gun, any gun. If not a gun, a knife, axe, pipe bomb, machete, a car.  It's the individual, not the weapon that needs to be addressed. The warning signs that too often go unnoticed or a failure to be acted upon. Then again I realize that I'm preaching to the choir here. I'll close by saying that it is my sincere hope that tomorrow June 19th, SB163 will be soundly defeated in the Senate if brought to the floor, and that sensibility will return to those attempting to govern us.

Checkride71, Resident of the Republican County of Sussex, Delaware
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 04:30:55 PM by Checkride71 »

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2018, 09:50:37 PM »
May be pissing into the wind but I sent this to my senator. 
Sen. Hansen
 At the Whereabouts last month, I asked your position on SB 163 but you deflected by citing the wishes of your constituents.  I submit that you, as a senator, are to be an informed legislator not a surrogate for an potentially uninformed electorate.  Public opinion is easily influenced or can be outright tricked with skillfully worded polls.  Case in point, the "dihydrogen monoxide" poll that fooled the readers with: "it can suffocate you, it corrodes metal, and can blister your skin."  The majority of pollees signed the petition (see Wikipedia). Yes, you can drown in water, moisture rusts iron, and boiling water can blister your skin. Try surviving without water.  My point here is that public opinion on "assault weapons" is easily influenced when the electorate knows only minimal facts and won't be affected except for additional vulnerability of home invasion.

Given Pareto's 80/20 rule where 80% of the problem can be alleviated with 20% of the effort required to completely solve the problem, I respectively assert that the Beau Biden Mental Health (HB 302) bill will prevent most school shootings when combined with Safe Storage of Firearms (HB 366) if you can get that bill out of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

SB 163 is a sledge-hammer approach to gun violence by punishing the lawful gun owner.  The "assault weapons" restrictions will do little to nothing to limit the availability of the weapons and will be difficult to enforce.  The negative effect of SB 163 is to divert law enforcement from the active criminals.  Quoting a DSP detective's recent comment, "It's not you guys we worry about, it's the felons."
  SB 163 is a feel-good bill that is being attempted to rush through by suspension of the rules.  Please vote NO.
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2018, 10:10:09 PM »
Sent: Friday, June 15, 2018 10:25 PM
To: 'Nicole.Poore@state.de.us' <Nicole.Poore@state.de.us>
Subject: Opposed to SB163
Importance: High

Dear Senator Poore,
My wife and I live in your district, and we have always been 100% reliable Democratic straight-ticket voters.
We would like that unbroken trend to continue, but we will never vote for you again if you support SB163 in any way. If you vote in favor of the Motion to Suspend Rules and bring the bill to the floor, or vote for the bill itself, we will vote against you, vote for your opponent, and donate the maximum legal contributions to their campaign.

We don’t want to do this. You are a better Senator than any of your likely opponents could ever hope to become. This is a matter of principle, and we are bound by principle… as you are.
If you haven’t already, please read my News-Journal column (attached). It describes how we protected my sister from the real and imminent threat of violent attack from her ex-husband by bringing her to our home, where our so-called “assault weapons” both deterred the attack and all but guaranteed her safety if the attack had happened.
SB 163 would create two classes of citizens: those with the right to own the tools necessary to protect their families, and those who will never have that right. You’re a decent human being, and a Democrat, so you have worked against the creation of privileged and under-privileged classes all your career.

Thanks,
<oldgraygeek>
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2018, 10:36:15 PM »
Nice one @OGG.

Just noticed this line on SB 163 synopsis
The names Newtown, Aurora, San Bernardino, Orlando, Las Vegas, and Parkland, among others, have become synonymous with tragic killing of innocent, unsuspecting Americans of all ages and backgrounds...

Seems that another mass shooting with 26 dead and 20 wounded doesn't deserve mentioning.  Oh, that was in a church in Sutherland Springs, TX, committed by a mentally ill critter that wasn't reported by the Air Force, and was stopped by an armed citizen with his own "assault weapon". (The nut job isn't counted in the fatalities but an unborn child is).
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

MarkB

• Life Member
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2018, 01:14:24 AM »
I received this note from Brian Pettyjohn tonight.  I bolded an important part of his note.

Mark,
I'm sorry for this brief email, however my inbox is being flooded relating to SB 163 and the suspension of rules.

I will be voting NO on suspension of rules.  If the suspension passes, I will vigorously oppose the bill.

Thank you for reaching out,
Brian

Brian Pettyjohn
State Senator; 19th District
411 Legislative Ave.
Dover, DE 19904
(302) 744-4117

NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2018, 01:27:10 AM »
Attention Delaware Senators:

This is a slap in the face to active duty military who will not be able to PCS to Delaware with their lawfully owned and purchased firearms.

Also retiring military now not permitted to return to Delaware with their lawfully purchased property.

They have sacrificed much to defend our freedoms and our constitution.  Now one more freedom is to be taken away?

Think before you vote on this.
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2018, 01:36:57 AM »
Radnor, I'm making the assumption that the "Brian" you mentioned who had responded to your email was none other than my own State Senator Brian Pettyjohn.

Checkride71, Resident of the Republican County of Sussex, Delaware

Correct!
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.