Author Topic: In vehicle gun safe?  (Read 11395 times)

Moosie

• Life Member
In vehicle gun safe?
« on: December 03, 2009, 01:49:09 AM »
Hi guys, I'm looking for a gun safe for my car.  Anyone have one?  Is yours bolted down? or simply a looped cable system? 

Thanks.

Moosie!
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
Re: In vehicle gun safe?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 09:59:06 AM »
I have one of the gun vault safes in my car using a looped cable. It's easy to use and the cable will atleast slow somebody down i they try to take it. The fun part is getting my weapon from my holster to the back of my SUV without anybody seeing me unholster and clear it.
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 07:46:04 PM »
So that explains the hole in the passenger seat.  ;D
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

quickdraw

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 04:43:43 PM »
I have been using a small cable looping safe (for G27) for a couple of years. It will enable use in different vehicles you may be driving, even rentals. If you are flying, most are TSA acceptable. You can use it to secure your weapon in a hotel room. You may also wish to use it if spending the night in someone's home with children.
I use mine very infrequently, however it is an inexpensive accessory to have available.

boarder2280

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 06:55:47 AM »
Quickdraw,

If you don't mind sharing, what type/model do you have, and would you get the same one again given the chance, or buy something else?

Thanks,

Boarder
M9 - Expert
M16 - Expert
Florida CCW

Póg Mo Thóin

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 11:08:30 PM »
if i was home i would look at the safe in my room. it has a detachable plate that is to be bolted down and has studs that go through the bottom of the safe and fliped down to lock it in place. its electric safe with battery backup so np keys easy opening, but has a keyed back up overide

deviant.ollam

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 05:26:04 PM »
its electric safe with battery backup so np keys easy opening, but has a keyed back up overide
just to caution you, a lot of those safes are terrible.  if yours is the one i'm thinking, the "key override" is a tubular lock that is pretty weak.

there's another famous electronic safe that uses a fingerprint reader, my buddy c0nverge found a way to trip the "reset" switch while it is locked, allowing you to essentially input a "new" fingerprint and override/open it.  there's a YouTube video of him doing that, if i can find it.

regarding in-vehicle options... i've long considered installing a "thin" safe as part of my center console (i might design it myself or re-purpose something existing) so that i can disarm at the border of unfriendly states, keep the gun locked in there, and re-arm when i exit again... potentially all without stopping my vehicle or getting out of the truck.

P.S. - sorry, all, for my long absence from the forums after getting to know a lot of you last year.  i have experienced delays with moving to Delaware and thus hadn't checked in as often.  i'll try to keep more active here, however.

P.P.S. - great forum name, Póg Mo Thóin   :P