Author Topic: SB 163 DIES in Senate  (Read 5173 times)

MarkB

• Life Member
Re: SB 163 DIES in Senate
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2018, 10:29:29 PM »
Correction:  The two Democrats were Brian Bushweller and Bruce Ennis.
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2018, 01:51:12 AM »
Digging around on the legis web site, I still haven't found any record that SB 163 failed to get out of the Senate Judiciary committee or the suspension of the rules vote. Seems that the powers-that-be (read Dems) don't want that to be a matter of record.  
Good point CB.  There are 21 senators but reports are that the vote was 10-9 against.  Who are the missing two senators?

I had to dig around news sites to see that Gerald Hocker (R) missed the vote and Catherine Cloutier Cathe (R) was sick with pneumonia.  

The following I received from Mr. Hocker's aide Matt Revel.

"Without knowing how 10 of the 20 total Senators present were going to vote, Senator Hocker decided to be "absent" for the vote, thus preventing a potential tie-breaking "yes" vote  by the Lieutenant Governor. 11 yes votes are needed to suspend normal Senate rules"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2018, 02:55:00 AM »
Digging around on the legis web site, I still haven't found any record that SB 163 failed to get out of the Senate Judiciary committee or the suspension of the rules vote. Seems that the powers-that-be (read Dems) don't want that to be a matter of record.  
Good point CB.  There are 21 senators but reports are that the vote was 10-9 against.  Who are the missing two senators?

I had to dig around news sites to see that Gerald Hocker (R) missed the vote and Catherine Cloutier  (R) was sick with pneumonia.  

The following I received from Mr. Hocker's aide Matt Revel.

"Without knowing how 10 of the 20 total Senators present were going to vote, Senator Hocker decided to be "absent" for the vote, thus preventing a potential tie-breaking "yes" vote  by the Lieutenant Governor. 11 yes votes are needed to suspend normal Senate rules"

Thanks.  That is good information.  Kudos to Senator Hocker
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 02:56:40 AM by Clarence »
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

MarkB

• Life Member
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2018, 02:59:43 AM »
Good move.
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2018, 03:21:33 AM »
Another real hero in this is Senator Lavelle.  He has perhaps risked the most here. His district is full of “limousine liberals” who  care not a rats posterior about gun rights. He is being challenged by a well financed rabid anti gun, anti liberty opponent.  We need to support him in any way we can.
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

MarkB

• Life Member
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2018, 01:37:48 PM »
I received this email from the DSSA.  I've bolded an important sentence at the end of the email.

SECOND AMENDMENT ACTION ALERT NETWORK

(Just as a reminder, you are receiving this Alert because you have asked to be informed)

The Delaware State Sportsmen's Association (DSSA) thanks all those involved in the fight that culminated in the defeat--for the second time in two weeks--of Senate Bill 163, the Carney/Townsend Gun Ban. Without the help of the DSSA membership, families, and friends, our efforts could have turned out vastly different. 

This was the fourth gun ban attempt in the last 20 years by the Democrats, but this was by far the worst bill that was considered. The effort to oppose this horrible legislation involved thousands of freedom-loving Delaware citizens from various groups, including Delaware Gun Rights, 9-12 Patriots, Faith and Freedom Coalition, and the Delaware Concealed Carry folks, to name but a few.

It was obvious from the beginning that we were in for a battle to protect our Constitutional rights under both the Delaware Constitution, Article I, Section 20 and the 2nd Amendment to the Bill of Rights. Recognizing this attempt at stripping away our rights, we teamed up and turned out for townhall rallies and trips to Legislative Hall to meet with individual representative and senators. No other issue has generated so much activity and conversation in the halls of the General Assembly. No other issue has produced crowds of like-minded visitors to the Hall. More than 800 Delawareans concerned with preserving our freedoms showed up in Dover back in April after the introduction of the bill, and more than 300 showed up for both the committee hearing and yesterday's attempt to suspend the Senate rules. Combined with grass-roots efforts to contact legislators via mail, email, phone, voicemail, text, and social media, our joint efforts to oppose this misguided legislation have been noticed nationwide.

Despite the fake news, biased polls, ego-driven posturing, and misinterpreted and misrepresented data from anti-gun proponents, the truth-and American freedom-won. What's more, despite a first-of-its-kind attempt to force a bill out of committee after it had been voted down in the committee, freedom and truth still prevailed
However, the fight is not over. 

Although we know that legislators received far more feedback from those in opposition of the Carney/Townsend gun ban than they did from those in support of the bill, we've seen how the politicians are trying to spin poll results so they discount the opinions of constituents outside of their party. Also, we know that anti-gun and anti-freedom sentiment is rampant. As one lady from the other side stated, they will be back in January, and as Sen. Townsend stated, this bill will return.

Well, we will also be back in January. Not only that, we will be there in November and every other month of the year to make sure that the voices of freedom never die and that representatives and senators are elected that uphold the Constitutional rights to keep and bear arms.

There are still 6 legislative days remaining the current session. You can believe that we will remain vigilant.

Thanks again.
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3