Author Topic: Berks County PA (Reading)  (Read 2490 times)

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
Berks County PA (Reading)
« on: July 24, 2018, 11:12:38 PM »
Went up to renew Mrs. Clarence’s Pennsylvania LTCF.  

Had to go to courthouse as the airport substation is closed 3rd week each month (to service remote locations)

Parking was not a problem.  Meter parking on street.
Courthouse is large building on Court Street.  Parked Washington and Reed street behind CH.  Best to enter
Annex of CH (metal detector) and then go to 3rd floor.  

Arrived at 12:50 PM  No one waiting, but Sheriff deputy said he was going to lunch and come back at 2:00.  
Hung out in courtyard and listened to a group of left wing activists ranting about Trump and demanding a $15.00 minimum wage.  

Returned at 1:55.  Deputy came back 2:00 on the dot. Opened up door.  Called Mrs. in.  Took application which was filled out, Del driver license, Del CCW license and $20 us currency

Told to wait.  5 minutes later called back. Took photo, printed out and out the door. Very business like compared to Lancaster but result the same.  Good to 2023.

Here is site for info:  http://www.co.berks.pa.us/Dept/Sheriff/Documents/2017%20WEB%20SP4-127%20Application.pdf

Reccomend filling out in advance.  Airport site is probably better. But did not go there this trip.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 11:37:44 PM by Clarence »
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

Trapper

Re: Berks County PA (Reading)
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 01:16:14 AM »
Glad to hear it went smoothly. I renewed mine at the airport last month. The system was down and a new guy was there so I had to come back the following Monday, I went on a Friday originally. I called on Monday to make sure they were open and the deputy was mad that the guy from Friday didn’t take my info and mail me my LTCF. I went back up and was in and out in a few minutes. I cannot recommend them enough, great group up there.
Esophageal Atresia Awareness

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 01:26:19 PM »
Does anybody have a solid answer to why we were cut off from non-resident permits at the Lancaster sheriffs office. Is it pure left-wing politics, or is there a real legitimate reason? Is the sheriff elected or appointed there?
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Beretta92

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 08:02:13 PM »
When I went to Lancaster to get my Pa. non resident permit a few months ago, I asked why they were not going to issue non resident permits after June 1.

The answer was that the new Sheriff was not confident that there was a reliable process to identify non resident permit holders that committed an offense that required their permit to be revoked.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 10:24:34 PM »
They have the same means available to them as every other state or county in America has. This sounds like a cop-out by the Sheriff of Lancaster county. Maybe the NRA should put some pressure on him if he is facing and election?
My permit runs out in October, but I am seriously looking at getting a Virginia Non-Resident permit.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 10:26:15 PM by SturmRugerSR9 »
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 10:48:28 PM »
When I went to Lancaster to get my Pa. non resident permit a few months ago, I asked why they were not going to issue non resident permits after June 1.

The answer was that the new Sheriff was not confident that there was a reliable process to identify non resident permit holders that committed an offense that required their permit to be revoked
With the revenue at $20 a head, it seems that a wee bit of periodic research would be cost-effective, esp. given the criminal proclivity of the typical CCW permit holder which, IIRC, is lower than the typical LEO.  The sheriff's argument appears to be a deflection.
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 01:50:17 AM »
They have the same means available to them as every other state or county in America has. This sounds like a cop-out by the Sheriff of Lancaster county. Maybe the NRA should put some pressure on him if he is facing and election?
My permit runs out in October, but I am seriously looking at getting a Virginia Non-Resident permit.
If you go with Virginia and drop Pennsylvania, you will only gain Nebraska while loosing PA.  Your Delaware license is valid in Virginia (but not vice-versus)

Reading is about a half hour more drive than Lancaster for most all Delawareans.
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.