Author Topic: Delaware School Grounds  (Read 2704 times)

hap_hazzard

Delaware School Grounds
« on: July 28, 2018, 06:13:27 PM »
Good Afternoon folks,

I hope you are enjoying the summer thus far.  Get you popcorn ready to watch the fallout from the nutty ninth circus recent pro 2A rulings! Anyone have any spare sea salt? :-)

Ok, so the question.  I have searched the forums here and have not seen anything definitized.    For a DE permit holder, are school grounds a no go?  Example, driving through parking lot to drop off/pickup my child?  I have read the wonderful state laws and all I see is no ccw on a school bus.  I emailed the DE attny general to pose the question and was generally ignored.  Anyone out there have firsthand info or knowledge on the topic -- for example, an email reply from attny general.

Apologies in advance if this is an OLD topic -- not trying to beat a dead horse; but at least it was not a question to reopen the caliber debate :-)

Thank you in advance for info or a nudge to a thread/post here.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
Re: Delaware School Grounds
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 01:18:49 AM »
If I understand Delaware laws correctly*, the school zone laws make illegal possession of a firearm a (much) worse offense if it happens in a school zone... but, if you possess a firearm legally, then you are not breaking the law to enter a school zone.

Having said that, if anyone in a school zone sees your firearm, you can expect the police to show up and ruin your day. Concealed means concealed.

*I am not a lawyer. Your mileage may vary. Offer not valid in Alaska and Hawaii.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 03:16:07 AM »
Please see a short recap of school carry laws in Reply #13 here.  And see Reply#1 here for a Deputy AG confirmation.  
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 05:45:13 PM by Cbmarine »
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 12:41:24 PM »
*I am not a lawyer. Your mileage may vary. Offer not valid in Alaska and Hawaii."

This is why I always read your comments!
Proud resident of Kent County DE

hap_hazzard

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 10:47:22 PM »
Gents,

Thank you for the replies, and the references. I really appreciate how helpful the folks here are! 

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 03:12:44 AM »
Gents,

Thank you for the replies, and the references. I really appreciate how helpful the folks here are! 
Our pleasure.
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.