Author Topic: Shooting ARs at Alexander's range in Maryland?????  (Read 8581 times)

Mac19701

Shooting ARs at Alexander's range in Maryland?????
« on: August 31, 2018, 02:11:39 AM »
So I shoot long guns regularly at Alexander's range just across the line in MD, southeast of Middletown.  I have not taken any of my ARs there because MD's laws essentially prohibit my AR's from even coming into the state.  I've seem all the MD regs so I don't need help with that.  Maybe I'm a little paranoid but I don't want to become MD's next felon if a state trooper catches me at the range. Anyone shoot their AR's at that range?  Any experience? 
Thanx. 

Tonym

Re: Shooting ARs at Alexander's range in Maryland?????
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 05:00:19 AM »
 I thought those laws only applied to weapons that MD residents were allowed to buy currently, not what we're allowed to bring to their ranges. Ive brought all kind of rifles to elk neck md that arent allowed to be sold to residents of that state. No ones ever given me a 2nd glance while i was there

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 11:31:03 AM »
Radnor had a letter(several years ago) from the then MD AG that said out of state can transport guns to ranges in MD.

Not sure if that still applies.  Maybe he knows.

Bill
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 11:44:07 AM »
I’m thinking about joining Alexander’s again . I had a membership years ago . I would like to know the details of a De resident transporting an AR to a Md range also . I was under the impression it had to be purchased before the date they set in the law (can’t remember that date) .

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 11:52:57 AM »
You're up on the laws of MD.  Good job on doing you own research!  IANAL, but I think you are wise not paranoid.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 11:57:10 AM »
This is a copy of an email I received Jan 26, 2018

Mr. Radnor,

You can bring an AR-15 into Maryland if purchased prior to October 01, 2013.  If the AR-15 is an hbar/heavy barrel then it is considered a long gun and can be brought into Maryland (except a Bushmaster heavy barrel).  Possession of high capacity magazines is not banned.  Maryland law limits the transportation of handguns (see below). 

Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide

§ 478.38 Transportation of firearms.

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where such person may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where such person may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Maryland Criminal Law

§ 4-203. Wearing, carrying, or transporting handgun

(b) Exceptions. -- This section does not prohibit:

(3) the carrying of a handgun on the person or in a vehicle while the person is transporting the handgun to or from the place of legal purchase or sale, or to or from a bona fide repair shop, or between bona fide residences of the person, or between the bona fide residence and place of business of the person, if the business is operated and owned substantially by the person if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

(4) the wearing, carrying, or transporting by a person of a handgun used in connection with an organized military activity, a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, a Department of Natural Resources-sponsored firearms and hunter safety class, trapping, or a dog obedience training class or show, while the person is engaged in, on the way to, or returning from that activity if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

(5) the moving by a bona fide gun collector of part or all of the collector's gun collection from place to place for public or private exhibition if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

§ 4-305. Detachable magazines -- Prohibited

(a) Scope of section. -- This section does not apply to:

(1) a .22 caliber rifle with a tubular magazine; or

(2) a law enforcement officer or a person who retired in good standing from service with a law enforcement agency of the United States, the State, or any law enforcement agency in the State.

(b) Prohibited. -- A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 10 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.

Thank you,

Sergeant Jason Edwards
Maryland State Police
Licensing Division
Firearms Registration Unit
Operations Supervisor
1111 Reisterstown Road
Pikesville, Maryland 21208

Office:  410-653-4508
Fax:  410-653-4036   

Please refer to the Maryland State Police website for up to date
information.

http://mdsp.maryland.gov/LicensingDivision
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Packing_Nine

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 04:38:51 PM »
This is a copy of an email I received Jan 26, 2018

Maryland Criminal Law

§ 4-203. Wearing, carrying, or transporting handgun

(b) Exceptions. -- This section does not prohibit:
(3) the carrying of a handgun on the person... if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

The underlines are mine, for emphasis. Beware, as I have snipped a substantial quantity of text from the original quote. I've always been intrigued by the language, "an enclosed holster." Exactly what constitutes an "enclosed" holster? If I have a thumb break, does that enclose the handgun? A Sneaky Pete? Fanny pack, or purse? Does the Maryland law permit me to wear & carry my handgun in such a holster, perfectly legal, provided it is simply unloaded?

I don't intend to be the one to try it and find out... but I've always been curious.

topper

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2018, 09:15:46 PM »
 I went to the FAQ part of the State Police Licensing Division. I found this.

collapse CATEGORY : TRANSPORTING FIREARMS ‎(3)

Can we travel to other states for competitions and return with our already owned banned firearms? Can someone come from another state, for competition in Maryland, with a banned rifle?
​A Maryland resident who lawfully owned the firearm prior to October 1, 2013 may travel with the firearm to other states and return so long as it is not a violation in the state you are traveling to and the firearm is being transported in accordance with the law. A person may not transport an assault weapon into Maryland for target competition unless the person lawfully possesses, has a purchase order for, or applied to purchase the weapon before October 1, 2013. Federal law allows a person to transport a firearm through Maryland but not to Maryland if the firearm is not in compliance with state law.​

Can I legally transport my regulated firearm to the range?
​Yes, however, Maryland and Federal laws require specific conditions be met while transporting a handgun. Please refer to Maryland Annotated Code, Criminal Law, Title 4, Section 203 for a detailed account of wearing, carrying, or transporting a handgun. You may access the Maryland General Assembly website at http://mlis.state.md.us/ You can access the Federal requirements through www.atf.gov and conduct a search for “27 Code of Federal Regulations, Part 178” and then look for “Transportation of Firearms.” The basic requirement during transport is the handgun must be unloaded and in an enclosed case or enclosed holster with the ammunition separate from the handgun AND you must be transporting the handgun to or from the locations listed in the statute. ​

The way I read the second part of the first paragraph which I repeated below, we can NOT bring a firearm purchased before October 1, 2013 to the range in MD. I'm not trying to ad more gray area here, BUT...

A person may not transport an assault weapon into Maryland for target competition unless the person lawfully possesses, has a purchase order for, or applied to purchase the weapon before October 1, 2013. Federal law allows a person to transport a firearm through Maryland but not to Maryland if the firearm is not in compliance with state law.​
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms…disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes…

USAF Vietnam Era Veteran
Army National Guard
Civil Air Patrol
NRA Life Time Member
DE CCW
PA CCW

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2018, 11:06:50 PM »
The statement seems to contradict itself.  You can transport it into Md if you own it, but you cannot transport it into Md if you own it?????  How many of us carry a bill of sale or receipt with each of our transported guns??  Not even sure I can find mine.
Bill
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2018, 11:21:11 PM »
We are not welcome in Maryland. We should not go there, or spend any money there.

Even if the laws quoted above make it "legal" for us to enter Maryland with our firearms, a policeman might charge us with felonies and confiscate them. We would then need to defend ourselves at great expense and risk.
if we lost, we might get prison time, and would at least lose our ability to own guns in our own state.

F*** Maryland.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2018, 11:39:52 PM »
Thanks for the info . I will not be taking my AR to Md . Just not looking like it will pan out well for me if stopped . I still may join Alexander’s again for shotgun and rifle shooting .

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2018, 05:23:03 PM »
As someone that grew up in Maryland, I have to agree with Oldgraygeek. I still have many relatives and friends there, but seldom go there anymore. I think it's been about 4 years since my last visit. It is the same distance from relatives and friends homes, as it is from mine to theirs. If they want to see me, they know where I live.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

topper

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2018, 10:23:17 PM »
I am a member of Alexander's range, but I don't take my AR there. I have taken it to TSS in PA, but I don't shoot it often anyway.

The reason I like Alexander's is because most of my shooting is training with my pistol anyway, so I can go during the day on weekdays and it only takes me 20 minutes to get there. I'm usually the only one there, and every once in a while I stop in and visit with Mrs. Alexander and Jimmy and I enjoy our conversations.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms…disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes…

USAF Vietnam Era Veteran
Army National Guard
Civil Air Patrol
NRA Life Time Member
DE CCW
PA CCW

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2018, 10:39:23 PM »
Although not the simplest answer, but one that goes beyond “all ARs are bad.”  Maryland really keys in on that 2013 date — but that doesn’t take into account the interpretation of others.  First, you’d have to carry proof that you obtained the weapon prior to that date.  Second, that doesn’t mean that the roadside jockey would understand the relevance of the date, meaning he or she could simply believe that ALL ARs are banned — and that’s where things could take a bad turn.  Finally, transporting through and transporting into are essentially two different things.  Going through Maryland to get to Virginia is something that would PROBABLY get cleared up on the side of the road, but driving into Maryland to go shooting in Maryland brings you right back to the beginning of this problem.

And remember — all of this is just about the interpretation of the statute.  Meaning, it doesn’t even get into what happens if you are stopped by an anti-gunner, or at least someone that thinks that YOU shouldn’t be allowed to roam freely with a killing machine.  It was only a decade or so ago when every Delaware OCer had a stack of personal stories about run-ins with store management and/or LEOs. 
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."