Author Topic: Savage 11 in 308. Great shooter, lots of fun  (Read 2412 times)

Mac19701

Savage 11 in 308. Great shooter, lots of fun
« on: August 03, 2018, 01:12:14 AM »
So I bought a Savage 11 TH abt 2 years ago from a local guy trying to raise $ for another gun.  It was just a stock:  plastic stock, standard 3-9 Nikon BDC on top, sport barrel; nothing fancy. Having a lot of fun with this gun and also learning a lot.  Thought I'd pass the story along.  As it stood when I bought it, I was getting 1MOA routinely at 100 yds as long as I did my part.   I've since put a Boyd's stock under it and a Viper Vortex 6-24 on top with intent of going long.  One learns quickly that good ammo is the key to precision shooting.  I don't reload rifle ammo yet so I shoot Federal SMK 168 grain almost exclusively.    My 100 yd groups are 0.7 - 0.8 MOA and now I routinely shoot out to 300-500 yards.   1 MOA at those distances is not a problem as long as it's a calm day, but one quickly learns how much a slight breeze can effect a 300-500 yd shot.    I'm working on that issue any occasionally take shots at the 600 yd target.    For those who don't know, long guns are fun and a pleasant break from pistol shooting.

PPScarry

• Life Member
  • del ccdw license holder - NRA member
Re: Savage 11 in 308. Great shooter, lots of fun
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 01:42:27 PM »
Saves ammo not shooting a pistol. I bring 400 rounds and am finished in 30 minutes.
I can stay a while with a long gun and shoot 50 rounds in an hour.

A long gun with good skills and a good scope top pistol shooting. I am not proficient but my buddy is and I am learning. The competition is the what makes it more enjoyable.
"There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. "
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer