Author Topic: Cold Weather Carry  (Read 10204 times)

deviant.ollam

Cold Weather Carry
« on: December 11, 2009, 04:18:15 AM »
Hello and good evening... i hope everyone's tucked into nice, cozy houses with good weatherstripping around the doors and windows this evening, as it's getting bloody raw out there tonight.  Which brings me to this post's topic...

One of my girlfriends and i went into Philly tonight for an event.  With the wicked cold and blustery weather, we were bundled up pretty well with coats and scarves and the like.  While this could have a potentially troubling effect on the speed and ease with which one can effectively draw down on a target... the real troubling part for me was how fumbling my hands felt in my gloves.  I was first wearing a pair of thick, woolen gloves.  They were floppy and cumbersome.  I believe it would have been downright abysmal if i had tried to use my pistol wearing them.

As luck would have it, if found another pair of gloves deep in a side pocket of the long coat i had on.  These were nicer, leather evening wear type gloves. (Heh, in the coat because i only wear them with my "dressy" winter attire)  I made a switch and they felt a lot better, but they still weren't ideal.

What do you folk do in cold weather?  Have any of you found gloves that are really stellar for gun handling yet are still warm?  A whole other troubling matter for me is my pepper spray... i keep that in my pocket and have always told myself that i'd try to diffuse a situation with that at the onset... trying to use a less-than-lethal option at the start of a confrontation can have major implications regarding your defense in court, etc etc.  But i have almost zero idea of how i'd be able to attempt to pull out the little pepper spray from down in a pocket in cold weather and gloves.

Suggestions?  I'd love to hear how you folk handle this, given that winter is now quite upon us.

Moosie

• Life Member
Re: Cold Weather Carry
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 12:03:43 PM »
ONE OF your girlfriends?  Just how many do you have, Deviant?! LOL 

I wear a pair of black leather tactical gloves (no.. they don't necessarily look all girly but Id rather wear them than be at my own funeral!).  They really blend in with the jacket, etc I have on and you can find them lined as well (I have both lined and unlined). I bought mine at Galls.com years ago.  In fact, I'm due for a new pair from Santa!  I have the gloves that zipper up the back. 

Deviant, make sure you check the laws of where you're carrying your pepper spray.  I carried it back in the day, and now, I just dont.  I'm trying to remember the list of towns that have an issue with Joe Citizen carrying it.  Regardless of your CCW. 

And...  practice practice practice.  Bundle yourself up, go outside and get FROZEN in the safety of your own backyard (I say that tongue in cheek) and then try drawing your weapon (INSIDE!).  Same with the pepper spray if you choose to carry it.  Try it with various types of gloves, etc. 

AND... since this is hand holding time of year, make sure she's not holding your strong hand. 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

deviant.ollam

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 10:41:16 PM »
ONE OF your girlfriends?  Just how many do you have
well, that's more a topic for discussion elsewhere, shoot me a PM if you want the whole story.  ;)  i really tend to avoid the term "girlfriend" in general because it's so clumsy and limiting.  i have a number of special (and some very special) people in my life, all of whom know of each other... and some who know each other more or less directly.

I wear a pair of black leather tactical gloves
that's what i searched for online today.  i wound up having over a dozen tabs open in Firefox and was slowly, selectively closing them as i whittled down my choices.  in the end, i went with "PeaceMaker" gloves from BlackHawk...

http://www.opticsplanet.net/blackhawk-hellstorm-peacemaker-duty-driving-shooting-glove.html

I bought mine at Galls.com years ago.  In fact, I'm due for a new pair from Santa!
i started my search at Galls and actually was going to make a purchase through them, when at the last second i decided to run my chosen item through Google... wouldn't you know that OpticsPlanet (linked above) had them for about a third less cost ($10 cheaper), offered much better shipping, and accepted PayPal... hooray for the intertubes and the wonderful data that they contain.  best of luck getting a new pair should you need them soon... if santa doesn't come through for you, i may have to ask if i can send you some, in thanks for all the great advice and for being so welcoming to me on the forums.

make sure you check the laws of where you're carrying your pepper spray.  I carried it back in the day, and now, I just dont.  I'm trying to remember the list of towns that have an issue with Joe Citizen carrying it.  Regardless of your CCW.
i won't outright say something publicly on the forums that could either get the boards here in trouble or possibly be used against me in court later, but i will assert that in this day and age, most folk i know would not really care enough about the pepper spray laws when viewed on balance of protection vs. penalty.  you're probably looking at a misdemeanor charge, if it even gets to court, versus an assault taking place.  personally, i am disgusted by any location that restricts pepper spray.  so often, the places you most need it are places that try to mess with the laws.  Each time i am in Amsterdam, i allegedly always have it with me, and the Dutch laws are much more strict on that point than any i've seen in the states.

And...  practice practice practice.  Bundle yourself up, go outside and get FROZEN ... Same with the pepper spray if you choose to carry it.  Try it with various types of gloves, etc
indeed!  at an outdoor range one day, folk looked at me a bit funny when i poured some water over my hands and then rubbed them around in the dirt and sand at the firing line's edge.  when they asked what i was doing, i plainly stated that i hadn't ever tired my new H&K pistol in anything less than ideal conditions.

by the end of that afternoon, i saw at least four other people trying something similar.  ;D

make sure she's not holding your strong hand.
excellent advice... and it turns out i think i've always done that, even before i started to carrying.

i look forward to the new gloves i ordered being under my tree... hope that you folk also get all that you want this holiday!  merry christmas and seasons' greetings to all!

deviant.ollam

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 05:55:38 PM »
a little follow-up... yet another pair of gloves boards a train to Fail Town for me.

the Blackhawk PeaceMakers had two fundamental problems...

1. they were really tight around my palm and pollicis muscles, restricting thumb movement especially as far as articulation of the safety or slide release was concerned.

2. they had huge "BLACKHAWK" embroidery down the outside face (along back of palm) which wasn't visible in the online image.  if i wanted to advertise for a company i'd wear their t-shirt... and demand a paid wage because i'm not a human billboard.

so i'll return these and keep looking around.  c'est la vie.  :)